Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 368 posts
  • 94 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by kvan99
  • Topic is favorited by 21 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Which system is more reliable and repair friendly?”

• S.A.M. 176 votes
      90%
    • Spike 20 votes
      10%

(196 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Samiam (resized).jpg
    20170814_094849 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170811_064200610 (resized).jpg
    1389487650-0 (resized).jpg
    SPIKE.jpg
    Wiley E Coyote Tricked.jpg
    download (resized).png
    1141cb3f415534bc4b87b6066071d20ffadc483e (resized).jpg
    pinball-stepper-repair-02 (resized).jpg
    IMG_8109 (resized).JPG
    Stern Wiring Diagram IMG_2198 (resized).jpg
    1268_1289005 (resized).png
    system_drawing_xNodes1 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DaveH.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#47 6 years ago

SAM was the best board set Stern has done. Solid as a rock. The occasional transistor where the hardest part is waiting for the iron to heat up.

I've seen way more issues with SPIKE, and the fix quickly becomes get a new board to fix it. In my opinion they built these boards right on the edge of their requirements. That way they go bad much more often, and Stern has a continuing add on sale as they are the only ones that can provide them ($$$).

But the factory is still pumping at full capacity and it's cheaper for Stern, so SPIKE wins.

#61 6 years ago

So 10% of Pinsiders who voted think SPIKE is more reliable and repair friendly? I would never let a single one of them repair one of my games. I really think anyone who has worked with both would vote SAM.

#109 6 years ago
    Quoted from megadeth2600:

It seems like Stern is keeping all of the simplifications and cost savings though and not passing that on to the end users be it operators or private home owners. That's nonsense that they're doing that.

Most companies look to cut cost and keep it for themselves. It's called business. Stern isn't seeing a slowdown in sales due to prices, so it would be completely wrong of them to reduce prices when their costs go down.

#116 6 years ago
    Quoted from megadeth2600:

I'm all for capitalism and I'm not saying Stern should give crap away, but when you sell a system as modular and easier to repair, you don't go pricing replacement parts through the roof!

That still sounds like you are contradicting yourself. You say you are all for capitalism, but you don't like when a company behaves like a capitalist? When you have a monopoly like Stern, you darn well do price replacement parts as high as the market will allow. You continue that until it impacts sales of your products or parts. None of your customers will pick leaving a $5000 machine dead instead of replacing a $300 node board. They may not be happy, but they will pay it. And if they don't, the customer will take a big loss on the game, and the next owner will be at your door with the $300. If you are all for capitalism, there it is.

1 month later
    #202 6 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

the production, licensing, and manufacturing costs of modern games are only a complete mystery to enthusiasts if a person is uninterested in conducting necessary research with historians, primary marketing sections, license companies, IP owners, and primary owners of the manufacture.

Most of human knowledge is built on the backs of others. Then reviewed closely enough to discover if it is true or not. It is written in pages and passed on by words. It is how I have knowledge on a great many subjects I have never fully studied. It is also the reason humans advanced so quickly as communications improved. Today I can read what is written all over the world. And I can judge those writings to see if they fit the knowledge patterns I have accumulated in my lifetime.

From this statement it sounds like you have done this type of research into the licensing and manufacturing costs of pinball. I know that I will not be conducting this type of research, but I request that you share yours with the world. That way we can judge how close to the truth we feel it is and gain knowledge from it. Otherwise these words are hollow.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DaveH.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/reliability-sam-vs-spike?tu=DaveH and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.