Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 368 posts
  • 94 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by kvan99
  • Topic is favorited by 21 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Which system is more reliable and repair friendly?”

• S.A.M. 176 votes
      90%
    • Spike 20 votes
      10%

(196 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Samiam (resized).jpg
    20170814_094849 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170811_064200610 (resized).jpg
    1389487650-0 (resized).jpg
    SPIKE.jpg
    Wiley E Coyote Tricked.jpg
    download (resized).png
    1141cb3f415534bc4b87b6066071d20ffadc483e (resized).jpg
    pinball-stepper-repair-02 (resized).jpg
    IMG_8109 (resized).JPG
    Stern Wiring Diagram IMG_2198 (resized).jpg
    1268_1289005 (resized).png
    system_drawing_xNodes1 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider BC_Gambit.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 6 years ago

Looks like this was settled in a record few number of posts. But it will be interesting how many high location play spike games become bricks in 5 or so years.

#76 6 years ago
    Quoted from clg:

I just don't see how lots of game specific individual boards you can't fix very easily could have ever been seen as a good idea.

I would be surprised if anybody thought it was a good idea from a customer's point of view, but as a way to pump some more $$$ out of your games it probably looked like a no brainer.

#82 6 years ago
    Quoted from precisionk:

I have been out of the pinball game for awhile but even when I was in, I didn't do too much repairing of my own. Are the boards all proprietary or can third parties make em?

From what I understand reading pinside, even this is an unknown. Is there some secret sauce code that will make after market repro's illegal to manufacture in the future? Unknown apparently.

I have faith that if there is a demand, someone will step up and manufacture a solution; possibly one that is even better than the original.

See the multi-game Bally/Stern MPU boards, and even the more recent 5V reset mini-board for WPC games. It is not impossible that in the future there will be "one node board to rule them all", but it probably won't be Stern working on it.

And until it happens, and cost and long term availability is known you are in a "sit and hope"phase. Weeee.

1 week later
    #127 6 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

BLUF: Understanding the difference between a whine and informed observation that is formed into a legitimate end operator/consumer complaint is something gathered from experience, if a person is willing to learn, or it will be discovered by trial and error the hard way.
    Potential buyers that are doing the "bug zapper" this right now are either uninformed, think "it will be better next time", or don't care.
    Sometimes all three.
    None are looking very far into the future, even less than 5 years.
    From some perpective they don't see a point, until a game fails...
    Even a lot of the games from Stern in the early WhiteStar days are already in landfills, and those games are less than 20 years old.
    That is in comparison to general reliability and construction of BLY/WMS games from the 90s, even though they are over 20+ years old, if properly maintained and serviced. Pretty scary when you look at the overall composition of those pinball mechas locations and what they showcase. People forget WMS supported titles in some cases for more than 15-20 years based on parts before closure.
    There is absolutely no advantage to dealers or distributors to share anything to the contrary regarding durability of modern SPIKE generation pinball machines (Levels 1-2-3 as they are sometimes referred now), but every single one that has been in business for more than 20 years (which few are left) knows the realities in comparison to games of the past, although there were some development problems such as grounding issues on GTB SS80 edge connector PCBs and overheating on WPC driver boards as games were improved the SS era. Some things could have been avoided with simple high quality connectors. The Stern games less than a few years ago have already been outdated with supposed "obsolete" PCB designs, and beginning loss of available parts.
    Some older collectors remain trying to help speed up the process of learning, and teach, and do not change position, stance, or opinion.
    However, most have given up, and now moved on, or decided just repair boards for others as a service, but not comment.
    Either way, I feel the battle has already been lost from the standpoint of technology and market that already tipped past 80% into private ownership.

What are these heinous problems with early whitestar games? I just haven't heard of this being a big issue (e.g. with LOTR, TSPP etc...).

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider BC_Gambit.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/reliability-sam-vs-spike?tu=BC_Gambit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.