4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Capture (resized).PNG
#1 4 years ago

Another issue with my JITB. The machine has an intermittent startup issue where the score motor keeps spinning after it resets the score reels. Seems like it should be triggering the U relay to reset the control bank. The problem seems to have gone from intermittent to constant.

I did some troubleshooting. When I would manually close the U relay with my hand, the control bank would reset and the motor would stop. Then, I was trying to electrically trigger the U relay, using an alligator wire leading from the 25v supply. It wouldn’t work! And...neither would the relays adjacent to it. The entire rightmost bank of relays on the bottom panel is non- responsive.

After some more troubleshooting, I’ve concluded that the ground to those relays in the right-hand bank is broken. They’re floating ungrounded. Other relays, such as the knocker and chimes, are grounded. And the other bank of relays is grounded. And the score motor is grounded.

Ok-reasonable enough- there’s a broken ground wire somewhere. I’ve spent a few hours looking but haven’t found it, so I’m hoping to get some clues. Does anyone know what the grounding path is, generally speaking? Based on my observation, each relay is just daisy-chained to the next one. It would be awesome if I knew the order of the chain, so I could narrow things down. But the braids are so tight and bulky that I can’t even tell what wire is the source of grounds for that whole right-hand relay bank. I assume the schematic is not a representation of the actual grounding path- it just shows all the relays tied together at ground.

Maybe a jones plug is in the grounding path? But that doesn’t seem right- the machine can reset without the playfield present, which suggests the bottom panel grounding path doesn’t rely on the jones plugs.

Is there some ground-interrupt switch that isn’t in the schematic?? Surely not.

I guess as a last resort I could start adding parallel grounding wires, forcing stuff to be grounded. But I think I need to do a few more hours of penance first. Hoping people have some slick suggestions for narrowing down this issue.

#2 4 years ago

I'm not sure about the whole grounding theory, but check this score motor sw. and the sw. on U for cleanliness and solid contact. Also, did you check the coil on U with a multimeter?
Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG

#3 4 years ago

Sorry I wasn’t so clear about the grounding. I measured an open circuit (megaohms) between the knocker ground and the ground for the u relay. Then I jumpered a wire between them and U fired properly under score motor control.

#4 4 years ago

Well I was able to fix this. A black wire between two relays was separated from its lug. I needed to measure the resistance between each pair of adjacent relays, and that helped me find the broken link. Soldered that wire back in place and everything worked again.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist

Machine - For Sale
Alpine, CALIFORNIA
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/relay-ground-issue-jack-in-the-box and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.