7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 71 posts
  • 47 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Honch
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

smash.jpg
    cartman1xt3.jpg
    angry-girlfriend-1.jpg

There are 71 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 7 years ago

Relationships and pinball does tend to NOT be a positive match most of the time, often in arguments/fights with the wife/girlfriend the topic "pinball" is often mentioned (out of nowhere). Why is this phenomenon? Give me your story, or your opinion on this subject.

angry-girlfriend-1.jpg

#2 7 years ago

OOOooooooo yes the "PINBALL" is a hot button.

#3 7 years ago

Pinball takes away both time and money that could be spent on significant other or children. So, this could trigger some psychological/biological maternal instinct that says time and resources should be spent on her or offspring.

My guess is this would only be a major issue if there are extremes going on, i.e., extreme spending on the hobby at the cost of time spent on her or your children. Or, if she is extremely needy and mentally unhealthy. Or if there are underlying relationship problems, this could be an easy target.

This is brought you by Gusphan, amateur and unqualified psychologist.

#4 7 years ago
    Quoted from Gusphan:

Pinball takes away both time and money that could be spent on significant other or children. So, this could trigger some pyshcological/biological maternal instinct that says time and resources should be spent on her or offspring.
    My guess is this is only a major issue if there are extremes going on, i.e., extreme spending on hobby at the cost of time spent on her or children. Or, if she is extremely needy and mentally unhealthy. Or if there are underlying relationship problems, this could be an easy target.

Don't forget the space issue! The space taken up by these big machines that could be used for something (anything?) else does come up in "negotiations"!

#5 7 years ago
    Quoted from Gusphan:

Pinball takes away both time and money that could be spent on significant other or children.

+ a million

#6 7 years ago

It's all about how you sell it to your wife or girlfriend! Show them you made a few hundred bucks off selling a game once or twice and buy them something with the profit. I have done this a few times and my wife says nothing about what I spend, because I only tell her when I make money, not when I spend hundreds on parts to make $200

But, time is ALWAYS the issue. I try to do as much as possible when she is working or our with friends. I even convinced her to start a hobby.....which gives me more time with my pins

#7 7 years ago

Yah this is a tough one. When you spend this sort of time, money, and space on something that’s principally for yourself, you have to walk around on egg shells around your family a bit.

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from Gusphan:

Pinball takes away both time and money that could be spent on significant other or children. So, this could trigger some pyshcological/biological maternal instinct that says time and resources should be spent on her or offspring.
    My guess is this is only a major issue if there are extremes going on, i.e., extreme spending on hobby at the cost of time spent on her or children. Or, if she is extremely needy and mentally unhealthy. Or if there are underlying relationship problems, this could be an easy target.

This describes exactly why she is pissed about my LEGO hobby. Once my kid is old enough to play with lego then this will be null. My wife's issue with pinball was she felt there wasn't room in the apt for one. So now with getting a house I can have a few now. As long as I don't break the bank

#9 7 years ago

Ditch the wife like I did and watch your collection grow!

#10 7 years ago

<-------- very fortunate her significant other is a pinhead too!

#11 7 years ago

My whole collection cost me about as much as some pay for one or two mid level machines. it's all about bargain hunting and being able to restore. My wife has fun playing them with me, they are also in the garage, out of her way.

#12 7 years ago

My wife told me this morning she wanted me to get another pin. The only condition is that it can't have anything to do with guns / action movies / macho stuff. So I guess like a Rocky & Bullwinkle or Addams Family is what she's looking for.

I have four currently... and NO additional space. But she says she wants another... so I guess I MAKE space!

I consider myself pretty lucky.

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from Gusphan:

Or, if she is extremely needy and mentally unhealthy. Or if there are underlying relationship problems, this could be an easy target.

HAHAHAHAHA

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from jtimmons:

It's all about how you sell it to your wife or girlfriend!

Indeed.

A hobby that keeps you at home with the family is actually very good thing.

Compare your little nerdy hobby to those who gamble & chase women for kicks.

Incredibly, pinball's been mostly a profitable hobby, too.

#15 7 years ago

It's all about compromises. I buy a pin, my wife gets some new diamond earrings. I buy another pin, my wife goes to the spa for a week. Everyone is happy!

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from Gusphan:

My guess is this is only a major issue is if there are extremes going on, i.e., extreme spending on hobby at the cost of time spent on her or children. Or, if she is extremely needy and mentally unhealthy. Or if there are underlying relationship problems, this could be an easy target.

Gusphan you should be a psychologist!

#17 7 years ago

I have to say I am lucky too. My wife and I went to a get together this past weekend at a fellow pinballers house and all she could talk about on the ride home is what machines we need to get and where to put them. Now I only have to get the money together and I have the greenlight to expand.

#18 7 years ago

When I'm spending time with my hobby I'm home, with my wife and kids. My buddy hunts and fishes. He's gone all weekend. In his defense you should meet his wife. My brother golfs. Expensive and gone all weekend. My boss drinks and bar hops. My cousin sits in front of video games like a zombie. I know others that gamble, do drugs and chase women. My wife loves my hobby. At night the announcement is made right after dinner. Who wants to play pinball! Everyone jumps up and runs down stairs., as a family.

#19 7 years ago

Pins keep me home as well and the wife has never complained. She never wants to see NGG leave and mentioned the other day that I needed to get CP back up to speed. She likes the looks of that one.

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from nerd:

<-------- very fortunate her significant other is a pinhead too!

Me too, im actually in this hobby because of my wife.

#21 7 years ago

Many of you are very lucky indeed.

#22 7 years ago

I know one couple in Jax, FL that are mad about pinball (hell more than each other?).
    They drive all over the 904 area code on the quest for finding new pins.
    I know relationships can work with pinball has our group of good friends.
    Hell they are kick ass room mates!

#23 7 years ago

I tell my wife in my best cartman voice " whatever whatever I do what I want "

Jim

#24 7 years ago

My wife has been extremely cool about it since day one. Every man needs a hobby or two of some sort. I wish my kids were more into it. They were at first, but then the interest waned. My wife has never really played or cared to. We did refinish the gargage and make it part of the house b/c of pinball. That's a plus!

Funny thing, my Dad plays the hell out of them!

Also met some great people through the hobby.

Another positive: you can usually get most, if not all your money back when you sell. A fact that does not hold true for most other hobbies.

#25 7 years ago

I tell my wife in my best cartman voice " whatever whatever I do what I want "
    Jim

Haha, great visual.

cartman1xt3.jpg

#26 7 years ago

The only issue is that my wife is a MUCH better pinball player than I am. She has the GC high scores on all our pins.

#27 7 years ago

When I first got into the hobby, my wife was really annoyed by it. She doesn't care for pinball, and the fact that six machines showed up in the first seven months certainly didn't help. Over time, however, I think she has begun to see it as a good thing. We are at the age where many people we know are going through a midlife crisis, having affairs, etc ... In comparison, pinball is utterly harmless. The whole key is to keep everything in balance. It's okay to have a hobby that you are really in to, but you have to make sure that you don't neglect your family because of it. I sometimes have to remind myself of this. It's so easy to get caught up in the chase for the next pin that it's easy to lose perspective on life as a whole.

#28 7 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

The whole key is to keep everything in balance. It's okay to have a hobby that you are really in to, but you have to make sure that you don't neglect your family because of it. I sometimes have to remind my self of this. It's so easy to get caught up in the chase for the next pin that it's easy to lose perspective on life as a whole.

That's sounds very much like uncle Iroh.

#29 7 years ago

That's what I say - I point to all the "other" addictions I could have if she so desires

My wife plays sometimes, so she's somewhat ok with it, but for me to expand originally from two to more I had to agree to this little shit of a puppy we have, and the pure horror he brings far surpasses anything my 20+ pinball machines could.

#30 7 years ago

Gweempose took the words out of my mouth. People very often escape into hobbies when the relationship is slipping, so it's natural for her to see it as a danger sign, particularly if you seem more happy and energized over pinball than you do over her.

#31 7 years ago

I didn't have much of a pinball addiction when I was married, but I can tell you that a hunting and fishing addiction puts MUCH more strain on a marriage than pinball ever could. Unless you are spending the entire annual budget on a pimped out MM or BBB I suppose.

#32 7 years ago

These work for me:

- When I buy a new pin, I buy her flowers.
    - If I spend two hours working on/playing a pin, I spend an hour with her doing something she likes.
    - Tell her her hair looks nice once in awhile.

#33 7 years ago

wife tolerates it, she even went to the midwest pinball convention in march with me. We played some games there and when we played an attack from mars , she said that was one game I should have. Probably didn't realize I took her seriously and found one "for her" this summer. Keep telling money spent here is not totally gone, like when we take a trip . Problem is when she wants something or to go somewhere she can play the "pinball trump card" and I do not have much of an argument.

#34 7 years ago

The only trouble I get into is when I've promised not to buy anymore and then have to call her up and explain why I'm going to be a little late getting home. It'd be safer to lie and tell her I'm having an affair than admit to another purchase.

#35 7 years ago

The wife doesn't mind them. She doesn't need to know exactly how much I am gonna spend on my next 2 does she?????

#36 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheDude:

Give me your story, or your opinion on this subject

Because they know we like it and in a argument they will use any possible tactic to get under our skin!

#37 7 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Over time, however, I think she has begun to see it as a good thing. We are at the age where many people we know are going through a midlife crisis, having affairs, etc ... In comparison, pinball is utterly harmless. The whole key is to keep everything in balance. It's okay to have a hobby that you are really in to, but you have to make sure that you don't neglect your family because of it. I sometimes have to remind myself of this.

+1

#38 7 years ago

still single....

#39 7 years ago
    Quoted from donjagra:

That's sounds very much like uncle Iroh.

LOL! Uncle Iroh rocks!

#40 7 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

The whole key is to keep everything in balance. It's okay to have a hobby that you are really in to, but you have to make sure that you don't neglect your family because of it.

+1

And I think to the level one can imbibe in their addition/hobby is not only tempered by the responsibility to the fam, but also the family members' level of engagement in the hobby as well. After all, this isn't exactly stamp collecting here. Pins are big and noisy, and if the rest of the household just isn't that into it, they're going to be non-too-happy tripping over your toys or having pin sounds reverberating throughout the house. Imagine how much fun it'd be to have your teen spreading their Justin Beiber hobby around the house.

#41 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinheadpuckguy:

The wife doesn't mind them. She doesn't need to know exactly how much I am gonna spend on my next 2 does she????? []

No, she doesnt. My wife doesnt mind the pins either, but I never, ever tell her what I spend on them. She plays them with me sometimes. And is tolerant as long as I keep them in there designated area, but I NEVER tell her what I drop on them....The rare time she asks, I look her in the eye and tell her allot. So far, its working out fine for me.

#42 7 years ago

So far we have just the one pin.
    Pinball is responsible for us both making many good friends. Sometimes tournaments (and helping others prepare for them) puts a strain on things, but pinball is a big part of our lives.

Actually, here's further proof: As of now, I rank 672nd and she ranks 804th in the world standings. Don't know of any other pinball couples like that besides the Edes and the Gagnos (and that's a family thing too in their case!)

#43 7 years ago

I bought my EATPM and my fiance thought it was a tacky waste of space. She basically refused to play it for about 2-3 mo and it kinda pissed me off. Then one day she comes in the game room to play it once and ended up playing for an hour! I think the theme and artwork count for a lot when the ladies are considering whether or not you've made a good purchase

#44 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rascal_H:

These work for me:
    - When I buy a new pin, I buy her flowers.
    - If I spend two hours working on/playing a pin, I spend an hour with her doing something she likes.
    - Tell her her hair looks nice once in awhile.

Not a bad formula.

One of the early moves I learned was to send her flowers at work, for no reason, and spontaneously.

"Why? Just cause today. Just cause I'm thinking of you and how great you are."

She's always wondering at work if you're thinking about her. Send them to her job and it sends the message.

All the other girls at work will be a little jealous, and ask her about this great guy who sends flowers, and most girls love a little bit of jealousy. Just... don't be cheap if you do! Cheap flowers sends a message, too.

She may pretend annoyance at the distraction, but trust me, it works.

And, well, if it really fails, you know she's got her eye on someone in the office.

#45 7 years ago

Lynyrd Skynyrd Band said it best, "Don't ask me no questions, and I won't tell you no lies". Pretty much we both buy what we want as long as the bills get paid -

Both of us are fiscally responsible. Her dad collects and restores classic cars, so she knows it could be worse.

#46 7 years ago
    Quoted from LaughingOtter:

As of now, I rank 672nd and she ranks 804th in the world standings. Don't know of any other pinball couples like that ...

Keith Elwin and his girlfriend Molly Atkinson are currently ranked #1 and #453.

#47 7 years ago

There is a preview for a movie call Pinball 101. My life is just like the stick figure mini movie.

Watch the video it's super funny!!!

http://www.marcospecialties.com/product.asp?ic=PINBALL101

#48 7 years ago

I was an alcoholic for 8 years. She is just happy that I don't drink anymore. Luckily my fiancee supports me in everything I do and she loves playing pinball. We went to the white rose game show at the york fair this year. It was the first time I played pinball since I was younger. She played too and we both had a blast. She allows me to have 3 arcade games and what will be two pinballs in the living room since we don't have a suitable basement. She told me if we were to get more we have to get a bigger house as we are running out of space for them. She also supports my other hobby. R/c cars and bought me two out of my six r/cs that I have.

#49 7 years ago

I don't but pins all the time, so it doesn't really matter. But even if I do, my wife is totally on board with any purchase I make. I don't ask permission and I'm not about to start.

#50 7 years ago

Well I tend to spend little cash on anything other than pinball so I get a lot of leeway there. Also, buying a another pin was an easy sell I just told her I would move all pins to the garage giving us more space to enjoy in the house. I actually like being in the garage gives me more space to work and play.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 26.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 120.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 89.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 25.00
    Apparel - Unisex
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 399.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Great American Pinball
    $ 1,000.00
    $ 209.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 65.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Texas Pinball
    $ 75.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    DBC Pinball
    $ 49.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 269.00
    Cabinet - Other
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 12.99
    There are 71 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside