Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 242 posts
  • 61 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by Meadows22
  • Topic is favorited by 205 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20230721_145547 (resized).jpg
    20230721_145602 (resized).jpg
    0CB4B51E-AE24-4125-864D-DF55D83C60B2 (resized).jpeg
    01_Inside_Right_Cab (resized).JPG
    PXL_20211015_145958978 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0561 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0936 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0935 (resized).jpeg
    F4C85CD8-F565-4DB9-AF61-C9AA67166355 (resized).jpeg
    CF6ACEAC-2BE2-4386-B108-6F431164B94B (resized).jpeg
    F8FEC92B-BF29-4F8C-8204-F7662ADEFF38 (resized).jpeg
    7680bfd80d669168cc775389b408f3efbe4e1dd0 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Corner.Brace.finished (resized).jpg
    Corner.Brace.notched.cord.cone (resized).jpg
    Corner.Brace.cord.cone.tethered (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider spiderpin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinzzz:

Do you remove the playfield to put the back support brackets on? The front ones appear to be easy with the playfield in the upright position.

I did remove my playfield, because I also install art blades after installing the cabinet brackets

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinzzz:

Smaller less expensive bottle of Tilebond III for under 4 bucks on amazon. you can put this in your shopping cart plus the screws. but will need a minimum 25.00 order with amazon for the free shipping due to it being an add-on item.
    amazon.com link »

That's why I bought the gallon of glue for $40.00 and 1000 screws for $26.99. Can't help but to buy in bulk, just like the brackets when I purchased them from BPL.

#42 5 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

You just paid $66.99 for glue and screws?
    Kinda metal af but no.

I paid about .31 per oz.= $5.00 for 16 oz.and not $7.49 fir 16 oz.
    Screws around .025 each and not .064. Each Or yes $66.99 no big deal. I needed microfiber towels to clean pinball glass I bought 432 towels per box. I just ordered 250 pinballs because I need 6 for AS and 4 for TWD. Like I said, I buy in bulk.

#45 5 years ago
    Quoted from starbase:

Vireland are you sure about the screw length? Not questioning you but I saw someone say 1/2 inch in another thread. I am just afraid of going through cabinet.

I just did my AS today. I went slow and 3/4" screws that are listed worked. The bracket have some thickness to them as well. Like he said if you want add a small washer.

#50 5 years ago
    Quoted from Concretehardt:

How thick is the plywwod on a Stern cabinet 7/8”?

I haven't measured it, but my guess would be 3/4". The bracket about 3/16". Like I said I went slooow and had my finger on the outside of cabinet and didn't feel any movement for every screw I did.

#52 5 years ago
    Quoted from Sinestro:

I bought the screws he listed, used washers, and everything was just fine.
    Just use washers....no reason not to.

I just went and purchased
    1000 Pack #10 X 5/8" Coarse Deep Thread Pan Head Screws Black. Because I sell the W/B brackets on eBay and felt safer using them. I'll use the 3/4" one for my own pins.

#53 5 years ago

I want to thank vireland again for taking the time to post something need. Thanks

2 weeks later
    #65 5 years ago
    Quoted from starbase:

Do you just re-staple the ground wire in the same orientation after having to remove it?

I just removed the staples and slid the old cheap bracket out. Then instalked the B/W Bracket over ground wire

#66 5 years ago

Here's what I did

s-l400 (resized).jpgs-l400 (resized).jpg

1 week later
    #72 5 years ago
    Quoted from Billy16:

B/W brackets are so much nicer

That's a wise move to replace/add Brackets. Enjoy your Premium

#74 5 years ago
    Quoted from Billy16:

All three have the same crappy bolt plates.

Where did you get your brackets? Ic I may ask.

#76 5 years ago

Same here. But I bought like 30 at a time. Lol I can't help but to buy in bulk. Now I can buy more pins from Stern.

1 week later
    #84 5 years ago
    Quoted from starbase:

More
    Because there games are the best on the market. Sound,code,speed of gameplay and themes and licenses. Personally I prefer them to all other manufacturers.
    All manufacturers have issues, there is no perfection in pinball manufacturing.
    You are welcome not to buy it but to most of us a 30 minute fix for a game were planning on keeping is not a big deal.
    I personally feel awesome supporting a electronic game manufacturer in the USA, so few things are made here that I enjoy. It's one of the better parts of dumping money in the hobby.

Bravo, well said. It's a modification that doesn't take much time and $20 for all four corners. Cheaper than some plastic mod or a $60 figure.

#86 5 years ago
    Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

You really only need to do the front corners.

More is better. Insurance. What's $10 more dollars
    If your pushing and shaking the front of the cabinet, you will have movement at the back too. For every action there is a reaction.

#88 5 years ago
    Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

The rear of the cabinet has a lot more material and is less prone to splitting.

Less prone, still sounds like it may still split. But ok so you can have last word your right. I have a extra set in storage in front of cabinet. That way I won't misplace them.

How about this: HUO 2 front brackets
    On location: (In The Wild) all 4 corners

#90 5 years ago
    Quoted from Concretehardt:

I have never heard of the rear corners of a Stern cabinet splitting... Ever.

May you be the first then and you can tell us about it.

#101 5 years ago
    Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

Go ahead and do them.

Like we need your permission. Were talking about a Stern game here, not Gottlieb. You should do it for your Star Wars, and you can do the front too. No one needs to know, it can be your little secret.

#110 5 years ago

Slotted screws are so 1940's

Quoted from DNO:Slotted screw = cost cutting
    ...damn Stern

#113 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinzzz:

I went 3 levels of support!

You should be good for a 5.5 earthquake or a shaker gone wild.

2 months later
    #135 5 years ago

Put the legs bolts in first and get them tight. Then screw in the sides. It should draw in the brackets to the cabinet.

#136 5 years ago

Plus don't forget to remove the old Stern brackets first. Looks like they are still in place. Looking at picture

#139 5 years ago

These screws are better, plus have a Philips head and go in deeper I have also used the 3/4" ones with no problem. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B015NZAY52

#141 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Those are not wood screws. Don't use sheetmetal or drywall screws. A factory look with a lesser hold is a losing game. Why bother with the upgrade at all at that point?

Yes I seen he posted sheet metal screws so I posted the wood screws. Ok it was 1000 count that's the way I buy (in bulk) can change to 100 count. PS thanks for starting the forum.

#151 5 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

Okay boys... don't make me separate you two.
    Vireland is more right here... He has valid point about soft woods and real wood screw pitches.
    hocuslocus is also right; in that Stern uses the same sheet metal screws throughout the game... that in of itself doesn't make it good practice... this about bom management and higher volumes to get better pricing for said screws... not about what is the right thing to do.

Like you say Stern may use these sheet metal screws on underside of playfield to hold a light socket that isn't moving. But not on cabinet

1 week later
    #162 5 years ago

No post yet of the new brackets. Must be installing them now.

4 weeks later
    #169 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mancave:

Just got my Maiden premium and it has these factory installed wing brackets. I did notice they aren't as tall as the B/W ones, will these factory brackets suffice or swap over to the B/W ones anyway? I'm also going to swap over the outer leg stand offs for the Mantis hidden type.
    [quoted image]

Looks like the leg bolts need to be longer. Just saying.

#172 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mancave:

Picture taken with the bolts removed

Ok good to know.

1 month later
    #183 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

Install the brace in position using the leg bolts (with leg) and torque down the bolts. Then tuck your shims into position.
    [quoted image]

You must be an engineer, because you over though and messed up. 6 wood screw will pull brackets flush with cabinet.

#189 5 years ago
    Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

I only did the fronts on my machines, TSPP and Star Wars Prem, and did notice a small gap where stated. It closed up nice and tight when the screws were installed. I tightened up the leg bolts first.

I did the same as you, had small gap at first. Purchase mine from PinballLife too.

#194 5 years ago
    Quoted from JCNP:

This is pretty obvious that this gentleman has different brackets than what you guys are dealing with. Or the cabinet dimensions are different . If he took a bolt and a nut with a hole through the cabinet and tried to suck that bracket back to the wood he be pulling the wood and cracking it or be pulling that bolt right through the wood. Especially with everybody commenting on the crappy quality of the wood. There is no way a wood screw, I don't care what kind it is is going to pull that steal back, it's too rigid . His fix for that bracket is what exactly should have been done. I deal with mechanical things in my profession and I'm no engineer but that's pretty much a no-brainer as far as what he's up against. He resolved it properly and looks like a much stronger bracket then want you guys are using. Not that that's needed.

Post #18 and your wrong. I bought the same brackets from PinballLife 24 at a time (shipping reasons). The gap was from the ground strap. So maybe it crushed in to the balsa wood.
    Aka Cabinet

4 months later
    #195 5 years ago

Bump

1 month later
    #197 4 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Thinking about bracing the legs on a couple of newer Stern's in the lineup before issues pop up.
    I just noticed Pinball Life has some leg brackets that fit Stern pins. I e-mailed Margaret to see if these fit the late model Stern's
    Looks like they might since they have the 3 screws holes in the center section.
    [quoted image]
    Update: Pinball Life confirmed these are for the newer Stern pins to address the splitting issue.

From Pinball Life. I buy 24 at a time and save, or do I haha

Product ID: 01-11400-1
    Williams/Bally New Style Leg Bracket

4 months later
    #204 4 years ago
    Quoted from billsfanmd:

Im not very good at woodworking. But with a Pinsider help I removed front legs. Ratchet strap and the tite bond glue. Got it pretty snug. Ordering the brackets now[quoted image]

Did the new update do that. That was one heck of an update Ghostbusters got.

1 year later
    #224 3 years ago
    Quoted from scootss:

Another vote for this approach. Just did my AS as a preventative measure. I appreciate the detailed write-up![quoted image]

One down 3 to go. It sure does help. Peace of mind if nothing else.

7 months later
    #233 2 years ago
    Quoted from Anony:

Getting a used Maiden soon and wondering what brackets I will end up with... I'm kind of amazed Stern thought they could use those tiny things. This is what you get in the $749 Atgames legends vpin. It's a much smaller, lighter cabinet too.[quoted image]

I'm betting you'll want to replace what comes on the Maiden.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider spiderpin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/reinforcing-stern-cabinet-legs-step-by-step?tu=spiderpin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.