Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 242 posts
  • 61 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by Meadows22
  • Topic is favorited by 205 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20230721_145547 (resized).jpg
    20230721_145602 (resized).jpg
    0CB4B51E-AE24-4125-864D-DF55D83C60B2 (resized).jpeg
    01_Inside_Right_Cab (resized).JPG
    PXL_20211015_145958978 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0561 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0936 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0935 (resized).jpeg
    F4C85CD8-F565-4DB9-AF61-C9AA67166355 (resized).jpeg
    CF6ACEAC-2BE2-4386-B108-6F431164B94B (resized).jpeg
    F8FEC92B-BF29-4F8C-8204-F7662ADEFF38 (resized).jpeg
    7680bfd80d669168cc775389b408f3efbe4e1dd0 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Corner.Brace.finished (resized).jpg
    Corner.Brace.notched.cord.cone (resized).jpg
    Corner.Brace.cord.cone.tethered (resized).jpg

There are 242 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
    #201 4 years ago
    Quoted from ZfromEarth:

My T3 machine back legs screws isn't tight. Two screw is moving in the hole. If I replace the leg bracket this will be good?
    Thanks[quoted image]

Sounds like it's stripped, so make sure you get the correct plate (check the online pdf of the manual) and TWO NEW BOLTS. Don't try using your stripped bolts in the new plate or you'll strip that out, too.

#202 4 years ago

OK Thank You guys. I have original manual and a check the part number before I order.

#203 4 years ago

Im not very good at woodworking. But with a Pinsider help I removed front legs. Ratchet strap and the tite bond glue. Got it pretty snug. Ordering the brackets now

F8FEC92B-BF29-4F8C-8204-F7662ADEFF38 (resized).jpegF8FEC92B-BF29-4F8C-8204-F7662ADEFF38 (resized).jpeg
    #204 4 years ago
    Quoted from billsfanmd:

Im not very good at woodworking. But with a Pinsider help I removed front legs. Ratchet strap and the tite bond glue. Got it pretty snug. Ordering the brackets now[quoted image]

Did the new update do that. That was one heck of an update Ghostbusters got.

#205 4 years ago
    Quoted from Spiderpin:

Did the new update do that. That was one heck of an update Ghostbusters got.

Funny. Nope. This cab has been split for a year or so. Just hit motivated to fix it.

1 month later
    #206 4 years ago

Thanks for the tips

3 weeks later
    #207 4 years ago

I just stumbled onto this thread and had a quick question. Is everyone pre-drilling the holes for the new screws? the 3/4" length takes me a little nervous also, but they seem to be just right. Thanks.

#208 4 years ago
    Quoted from WhiskeyTango:

I just stumbled onto this thread and had a quick question. Is everyone pre-drilling the holes for the new screws? the 3/4" length takes me a little nervous also, but they seem to be just right. Thanks.

I do not predrill. The newer Stern cabinets have such crappy wood density the screw needs all the bite it can get. And if you're using the actual wood screws in the OP they're perfect.

2 weeks later
    #209 4 years ago

I just adding a pair of the larger leg plates to my IRMD Pro and what I noticed (quite disturbingly so) is that the front/coin door panel is made from 3/4" (9/16) plywood and the sides are made from something closer to 5/8" (7/16) plywood - appears to have two less plys
    sheesh, what cheap bastards
    anyway, be careful when using the 3/4" screws - the side panel screws will need a washer or use 5/8" screws for them
    and yes this is very soft plywood
    good thread

#210 4 years ago
    Quoted from creepykenny:

I just adding a pair of the larger leg plates to my IRMD Pro and what I noticed (quite disturbingly so) is that the front/coin door panel is made from 3/4" (9/16) plywood and the sides are made from something closer to 5/8" (7/16) plywood - appears to have two less plys
    sheesh, what cheap bastards
    anyway, be careful when using the 3/4" screws - the side panel screws will need a washer or use 5/8" screws for them
    and yes this is very soft plywood
    good thread

Yeah, that's why I have the bit about checking the length of the screw against the thickness of the wood before you start. Never can tell how much thinner or crappier the Stern cabinet wood will get in the pursuit of a few more cents per unit in profits.

#211 4 years ago

Forgot I had already done this on my
    BM66LE, can you buy the top corner brackets that are coming out on some new Sterns or not?

CF6ACEAC-2BE2-4386-B108-6F431164B94B (resized).jpegCF6ACEAC-2BE2-4386-B108-6F431164B94B (resized).jpegF4C85CD8-F565-4DB9-AF61-C9AA67166355 (resized).jpegF4C85CD8-F565-4DB9-AF61-C9AA67166355 (resized).jpeg
    #212 4 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

Forgot I had already done this on my
    BM66LE, can you buy the top corner brackets that are coming out on some new Sterns or not?[quoted image][quoted image]

If you've done the large B/W leg plates, you don't need the corner ones at the top of the cabinet edge, IMO. That's just a stopgap because Stern was using half-size reinforced leg plates for a while.

#213 4 years ago

Slightly off topic but will these work perfectly fine with SAM games? Not quite sure why they are Spike/Spike2 specific other than the fact they have the rubber stoppers on them, they don’t appear to actually be any different to the brackets we used to get before Stern went to those pegs!

https://www.pinballlife.com/stern-pinball-support-slide-bracket-kit-for-spike-spike-2-machines.html

#214 4 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

Slightly off topic but will these work perfectly fine with SAM games? Not quite sure why they are Spike/Spike2 specific other than the fact they have the rubber stoppers on them, they don’t appear to actually be any different to the brackets we used to get before Stern went to those pegs!
    https://www.pinballlife.com/stern-pinball-support-slide-bracket-kit-for-spike-spike-2-machines.html

"SAM system machines use a different slide bracket kit; Pinball Life #535-6862-05_set, Stern #535-6862-05"

https://www.pinballlife.com/stern-playfield-support-slide-bracket-kit-for-sam-machines.html

#215 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

"SAM system machines use a different slide bracket kit; Pinball Life #535-6862-05_set, Stern #535-6862-05"
    https://www.pinballlife.com/stern-playfield-support-slide-bracket-kit-for-sam-machines.html

Vire could those spike ones be used on a SAM game? They appear to be the same size and length just the Spike ones have those rubber feet/bumpers on the bottom of them.

#216 4 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

Vire could those spike ones be used on a SAM game? They appear to be the same size and length just the Spike ones have those rubber feet/bumpers on the bottom of them.

Unfortunately I don't know what other differences there might be. I'd email Terry at pinball life since he has both on hand and can compare head to head and offer his opinion.

#217 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Unfortunately I don't know what other differences there might be. I'd email Terry at pinball life since he has both on hand and can compare head to head and offer his opinion.

I had an extra set meant for an iron man and compared them to my Aerosmith. The main difference is the screw holes. My Aerosmith has two dimples side by side and the SAM screws go from front to back.

#218 4 years ago

I had an extra set meant for an iron man and compared them to my Aerosmith. The main difference is the screw holes. My Aerosmith has two dimples side by side and the SAM screws go from front to back.

Can you post a picture of each screw hole area? Then I can key post it so people can find it if they're curious.

So, it sounds like it will work if you don't mind drilling 8 new holes since the orientation of the holes is different.

#219 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Can you post a picture of each screw hole area? Then I can key post it so people can find it if they're curious.
    So, it sounds like it will work if you don't mind drilling 8 new holes since the orientation of the holes is different.

My ST Premium already has the rails, but I can post it along with my Aerosmith Pro.

#220 4 years ago

My ST Premium already has the rails, but I can post it along with my Aerosmith Pro.

Yeah, basically just to show that the spike ones are not exactly the same and you'll have to drill different holes if you want to use them in a SAM game.

1 month later
    #221 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Yeah, basically just to show that the spike ones are not exactly the same and you'll have to drill different holes if you want to use them in a SAM game.

Overall size and screw hole comparison. That smaller set with side-by-side holes is for Spike.

IMG_0935 (resized).jpegIMG_0935 (resized).jpegIMG_0936 (resized).jpegIMG_0936 (resized).jpeg
    #222 4 years ago

Overall size and screw hole comparison. That smaller set with side-by-side holes is for Spike.[quoted image][quoted image]

This is great. Thanks for posting! I key posted it!

1 year later
    #223 3 years ago

Another vote for this approach. Just did my AS as a preventative measure. I appreciate the detailed write-up!

IMG_0561 (resized).jpegIMG_0561 (resized).jpeg
    #224 3 years ago
    Quoted from scootss:

Another vote for this approach. Just did my AS as a preventative measure. I appreciate the detailed write-up![quoted image]

One down 3 to go. It sure does help. Peace of mind if nothing else.

1 month later
    #225 2 years ago

For those of you who are using the Stern plates, the holes don't take #10 screws. I had to use #8.

#226 2 years ago
    Quoted from TimMachine:

For those of you who are using the Stern plates, the holes don't take #10 screws. I had to use #8.

Moral of the story, don't use Stern plates. The B/W ones are better. If you have Stern onhand, okay, but if you're buying brackets, get the superior B/W ones.

1 week later
    #227 2 years ago

I believe newer sterns have these brackets already installed? I dont see any issues with my new sterns.
    Unless I am missing anything?

#228 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

I believe newer sterns have these brackets already installed? I dont see any issues with my new sterns.
    Unless I am missing anything?

Newer Sterns now have a slightly upgraded stubby bracket that reinforces the seam. It's less than the full-length B/W bracket, but much better than the little metal strip they were using when I made this guide and they had just started shipping cabs with the cheaper, softer wood that couldn't hold the tension and were splitting a the seams.

1 month later
    #229 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Newer Sterns now have a slightly upgraded stubby bracket that reinforces the seam. It's less than the full-length B/W bracket, but much better than the little metal strip they were using when I made this guide and they had just started shipping cabs with the cheaper, softer wood that couldn't hold the tension and were splitting a the seams.

I have a new Stern on order. Is the upgrade still necessary do you think?

#230 2 years ago
    Quoted from Drac:

I wouldn't say they're NECESSARY on more recent sterns because they're using a more robust corner bracket that is like 2/3 the size of a Williams/Bally one. However, the Williams/Bally one will be more robust long-term just because the bracket itself is more heavy duty and has more screw points attaching it to the cabinet.

1 month later
    #231 2 years ago
    Quoted from Drac:

Keep in mind that this approach was started because a certain generation/era of Stern games (circa 2017) were showing cabinet issues. You don't see people complaining about the issue with current games, so it doesn't seem necessary for NIBs at this point.

3 months later
    #232 2 years ago

Getting a used Maiden soon and wondering what brackets I will end up with... I'm kind of amazed Stern thought they could use those tiny things. This is what you get in the $749 Atgames legends vpin. It's a much smaller, lighter cabinet too.

PXL_20211015_145958978 (resized).jpgPXL_20211015_145958978 (resized).jpg
    #233 2 years ago
    Quoted from Anony:

Getting a used Maiden soon and wondering what brackets I will end up with... I'm kind of amazed Stern thought they could use those tiny things. This is what you get in the $749 Atgames legends vpin. It's a much smaller, lighter cabinet too.[quoted image]

I'm betting you'll want to replace what comes on the Maiden.

1 year later
    #234 1 year ago

Bumping an older thread, to say thank you to PM, for posting this thread with such detail.

Finally had a chance to do some maintenance on my Stern Transformers LE, and made sure to replace these, while I was in there. Still have the back two to do, but fronts are done.

I ended up adding a locking washer to each, as the screw length looked a little too close for my comfort. Turned out great, not to shabby to install.

Left two screws out of the front right corner, due to ground braid running right through the area, may go back later and reroute.

Thanks again PinMonk!

0CB4B51E-AE24-4125-864D-DF55D83C60B2 (resized).jpeg0CB4B51E-AE24-4125-864D-DF55D83C60B2 (resized).jpeg
    #235 1 year ago
    Quoted from SterlingRush:

Bumping an older thread, to say thank you to PM, for posting this thread with such detail.
    Finally had a chance to do some maintenance on my Stern Transformers LE, and made sure to replace these, while I was in there. Still have the back two to do, but fronts are done.
    I ended up adding a locking washer to each, as the screw length looked a little too close for my comfort. Turned out great, not to shabby to install.
    Left two screws out of the front right corner, due to ground braid running right through the area, may go back later and reroute.
    Thanks again PinMonk![quoted image]

When you see what Stern thought was passable for leg plates during this time, it's laughable.

Glad this helped you out!

#236 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

When you see what Stern thought was passable for leg plates during this time, it's laughable.

No lie, why I had to share the pic with the old piece leaning there. Huge difference in comparison.

You’re always generous with your info and details, and this community thanks you for it.

#237 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Seeing this pop up in the feed again was great timing. Are the new Bond's shipping with crap plates still or have they permanently changed to those 2/3rd size one's that the later Iron Maidens had in them?

#238 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mancave:

Seeing this pop up in the feed again was great timing. Are the new Bond's shipping with crap plates still or have they permanently changed to those 2/3rd size one's that the later Iron Maidens had in them?

Don’t know about Bond, my Rush Premium from late April build, had the 2/3rd sized plates. So there’s hope for at least better than what was used previously

#239 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mancave:

Stern abandoned the no-support slim plates cost-cutting experiment quite a while ago. They all come with the 2/3 Bally/Williams height plates now, which are definitely better and have stopped the cabinet splitting problem that inspired this whole thread.

7 months later
    #240 8 months ago

Just picked up a GB premium that has some splitting. Would you recommend doing this on a cabinet that is already split? Anything I should do before adding the B/W brackets?

20230721_145547 (resized).jpg20230721_145547 (resized).jpg20230721_145602 (resized).jpg20230721_145602 (resized).jpg
    #241 8 months ago
    Quoted from Meadows22:

Just picked up a GB premium that has some splitting. Would you recommend doing this on a cabinet that is already split? Anything I should do before adding the B/W brackets?
    [quoted image][quoted image]

You need to repair the split(s) first. Put it on a sawhorse or something and take off the legs. Loosen the crappy stern brackets that are in there (all 4 corners). Put WIDE painters blue tape on both sides of the crack, top to bottom, at all corners that will get glue (this is to protect the area outside the crack from glue that is pressed out). Inject wood glue into the gaps at the corners. Wipe off the excess. Use a couple racheting straps all the way around the machine (with cardboard protection where the straps go around the corners and tighten them evenly to pull the cabinet into the glue. Check with a square to make sure your cabinet is still square at the corners (if not, adjust). Let dry overnight.

Once that is done, you can do the bracket upgrade.

#242 8 months ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

You need to repair the split(s) first. Put it on a sawhorse or something and take off the legs. Loosen the crappy stern brackets that are in there (all 4 corners). Put WIDE painters blue tape on both sides of the crack at all corners that will get glue (this is to protect the area outside the crack from glue that is pressed out). Inject wood glue into the gaps at the corners. Wipe off the excess. Use a couple racheting straps all the way around the machine (with cardboard protection where the straps go around the corners and tighten them evenly to pull the cabinet into the glue. Check with a square to make sure your cabinet is still square at the corners (if not, adjust). Let dry overnight.
    Once that is done, you can do the bracket upgrade.

Thanks pin monk

There are 242 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/reinforcing-stern-cabinet-legs-step-by-step/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.