Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by WonkoTSane
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

How can you tell if a Williams IJ is a reimport?

Thanks

#2 5 years ago

What currency does the coin door accept?

#3 5 years ago

Serial number sticker on the right inner cabinet & rear will state 220 volts.

#4 5 years ago

Why do you ask?

#5 5 years ago

What are the downsides to reimports?
?

#6 5 years ago

There are no downsides to re-imports. Condition, condition, condition.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from hawkeye11:

This

#8 5 years ago

hawkeye11 has it right. Purists will state that being on a container over salt water erodes the game and you should never buy one. Egg Fooey! I've seen games in FL and NJ shore in worse shape then a reimport. Condition is king. Just look it over like you would any other game. Enjoy!

#9 5 years ago

People will also say that European operators hacked the games up. I've seen a bunch of American operators that can give any European hack a run for their money.

#10 5 years ago

Buy based on condition, not pedigree.

#11 5 years ago

Common sense in a thread is refreshing.

#12 5 years ago

Like Badbilly said, people talk about salt water? Please, i'll take a pin thats been exposed to salt water for a few days over one that sat in a warehouse in Florida for 20 years.

#13 5 years ago

Just my 2 cents; My Bride of Pin-Bot coin door is in Deutschmarks, Factory restore makes the game in German, and the power says "Vorsicht 220 volt" on it. If that isn't proof that the game was re-imported I don't know what is. There is none of this alleged "salt water erosion" so many people talk about.
If you find a title you like, and it is re-imported I wouldn't steer away from it (As long as its back to the correct power you need). Hell. With the stigmata of imports, you might even get it cheaper than its non world traveled counterpart.

#14 5 years ago

I had a HS 2 that was a re-import and it was beautiful still had reds on the cab and a perfect playfield

#15 5 years ago

Do not buy them . Just send them back . We need them over here .

#16 5 years ago

Also, single slot coin door. I would say what everyone else mentioned is pretty accurate.

Be sure to look the game over carefully. I'm working on a Space Jam that's a reimport, and honestly I couldn't even see Michael Jordan's face on the playfield it was so dirty. Didn't bother me a bit as I knew it would clean up (and it did). I did miss that someone added two (I don't even know what they're called) interlock mechanisms to the bottom of the inside cabinet to allow the playfield to tilt up nearly 90 degress (instead of the normal 45 or so with the prop bar) and lock in place. This makes it easier to work under the playfield, but they bolted the interlock contraption onto the cabinet sides, so there are 4 bolts that aren't factory that you can see from the outside.

Also, there's usually (in my experience) an added mechanical counter inside the coin door to the left, and a large coin detector for the single slot coins that looks nothing like a domestic one.

Like others said, don't be afraid - just look over everything twice and check the fuses and the circuit boards for obvious hacks or over fusing.

It's Indiana Jones, I definitely wouldn't care if it was a reimport! Trust me, the game is awesome.

#17 5 years ago

To paraphrase a Realtors quip. "Condition, is the key".

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from my5es:

?

They haven't all been repatriated yet.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from PinsideMike:

Just my 2 cents; My Bride of Pin-Bot coin door is in Deutschmarks, Factory restore makes the game in German, and the power says "Vorsicht 220 volt" on it. If that isn't proof that the game was re-imported I don't know what is. There is none of this alleged "salt water erosion" so many people talk about.
If you find a title you like, and it is re-imported I wouldn't steer away from it (As long as its back to the correct power you need). Hell. With the stigmata of imports, you might even get it cheaper than its non world traveled counterpart.

Easily taken care of, if you want to do so.

The factory restore can be fixed by clipping jumpers or flipping DIP switches. No need to even get your soldering iron out.

The sticker, well, you can print a new one in English if it bugs ya.

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from my5es:

?

All things equal, 9 out of 10 folks would prefer a domestic version.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from PinsideMike:

stigma... if re-imports exhibited stigmata, i betcha they'd sell for a whole lot more...

the whole "salt water erosion thing" is simply foolish (thus you not finding any on yours)... more garbage from the, ummm, "collectors" that are infesting the hobby these days (edit: i'm not including you in that group... )...

#23 5 years ago

Whoops yeah I was slightly off with the stigma/stigmata part. Either way, my BoP was about $300 less than all others in a 15 hour radius at the time because of the whole re-import thing. I am sure some people have had horror stories with poor maintenance/repairs on re-imports, but the only repairs I have had to do on mine was swap out a solenoid, the shooter lane switch and some bulbs in over 5 years and 1k+ games.

Good luck with your decision and lets hope Indy will soon have a new home shortly!

#24 5 years ago

This is one of those topics that gets reintroduced every few weeks on Pinside, and I'll say here what I have said several times before. My one reimport, IJ, is one of the best-condition pins I own. I would have been foolish to avoid buying it because it had been used outside the U.S. (in Germany, specifically).

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

Anymore, people seem happy to find a decent pin for sale

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

If all things are equal it doesn't matter.

#27 5 years ago

The second nicest game I have in terms of condition is a reimport... Condition is everything.

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from hawkeye11:

Ditto this. I can't believe there is still even a question about this!

1 year later
#29 3 years ago

The main difference is if it is a German reimport the call out for a side drain will be "this is how we say goodbye here" instead of "this is how we say goodbye in Germany"

#30 3 years ago

A reimport will be missing the normal US service outlet on the power box, but other than that all of the equipment is the same as a US version. Yes, jumpers will have to be changed one time. Service outlets are easy to replace. I have done it on all of my reimported games.

#31 3 years ago

The biggest thing about a reimport for me is that it focus my inspection attention to some areas that I may not be as critical of on other pins.

The wiring on the coin doors tends to be a little odd. I am not sure if it is due to them being sold for home use after routing or what, but there is often something done to add an external credit switch or something.

I also look harder for corrosion issues under the playfield. I think that salt exposure in shipping containers may be to blame. Not sure but I have seen a lot of unusual things. Corroded springs, brackets, etc.

Look very closely at the fuses. I have more than once seen wires soldered over blown fuses and fuses soldered to broken fuse clips. I am not sure if the standard US fuses are harder to get in Europe or what.

That being said, I have seen very nice and very poor examples. It is all about the overall condition.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
9,000 (Firm)
Sale Pending!
Hingham, MA
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside