(Topic ID: 35791)

Regular EM Flipper Coils or PBR Gottlieb High Power Ones. Which do you use?

By EM-PINMAN

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 73 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Boatcat
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Which Flipper Coils do you use in your Gottlieb EM's?”

• Regular-OEM 25 votes
      60%
    • PBR Orange Dot - Higher power 10 votes
      24%
    • PBR Yellow Dot - Highest power 6 votes
      14%
    • I hate Flippers in general and just take the glass off and use my hands to bat the ball around. ( You Bingo folks like Jeff can click this too) ;-) 1 vote
      2%

(Multiple choice - 42 votes by 38 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20120808_150223.jpg
    100_1226.JPG
    princess.repair.jpg
    rin-pc.jpg
    KConBingo.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stashyboy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 11 years ago

Agree EM,
    Capt. Card and Pro Pool were both games I used to own that were hard to get that center hole (though isn't that suppose to be part of the game challenge?) I don't use the hot coils, but I do use high tap on the transformer. It can make a game play harder as well since the slings will now be more powerful, but so will the pops. Some folks like that, others don't. I also steepen the pitch as I like a fast playing game.

#7 11 years ago

I asked Steve Young about the effect on coils longevity. He said it is not a factor. High tap is only adding a few volts (24 to 28 or so) it depends on the game maker/era. He also has suggested removing a few layers of wire on some coils (Tim Arnold/Clay Harrell suggested this too for knockers) to make them more peppy. I agree with some that plastics/drops might be at risk, but have never had a problem with these mods.-so far.

#22 11 years ago

Good idea about the washers, it raises the shields a bit so as to be less prone to chipping/cracks. Speaking of which, I have used those washers as a repair for broken plastics as a quick fix. They can be cut/filed to fit-esp. on the lower slings. One can even use acrylic craft paint to mimick the artwork. Looks pretty decent if done well.

#23 11 years ago

Here's a pic of a former game I restored. I found part of the broken plastic inside the game and then did the above technique to salvage the unobtanium elephant plastic. The washers are super glued on to the plastic above.

princess.repair.jpgprincess.repair.jpg

#31 11 years ago

Hey Gerry,

What EMs have you worked on/owned? I just looked at your history and don't see any? (I too like an agressive EM!)

#36 11 years ago

Hey Otto!
    You sound more like Homer on that Central Park video, really had to chuckle at all the groans! Looks like many ways to lose the ball down there.
    Gerry, I used to own and love my World Series, found it at an antique guy's place who had stored it for 20 years, almost brand new looking! Check it out here: https://picasaweb.google.com/113822175696968990275/WorldSeriesSold
    (sorry If I'm off topic here! )

#38 11 years ago

Pretty sure those 70's Gottliebs all had plastic sleeves, at least the dozen or so I've owned have.

1 year later
    #46 9 years ago
    Quoted from wayner:

I am anxious to ascertain whether A5141 orange dot are available online other than from PBR. PBR is just difficult for International purchases. Thks.

I have never used hot coils, as SDM said above, try high tap (yes, another great debate, though I've never had a problem). Rebuild them properly, etc. It may be possible to remove some wraps of wire on the flip (heavy wire) side of the flipper coils, but I have never tried it. Maybe try that with a spare coil first as an experiment (have done that for single power coils with good results)

#48 9 years ago
    Quoted from wayner:

I was asking whether the A5141 orange dot is available from any online seller other than PBR because PBR is difficult to access for International sellers. I am aware other sellers market some PBR products eg flipper rebuld kits but could not google any orange dot sellers. Thks.

I got that, wasn't stating the obvious that anything PBR markets as their own custom product would be hard to find elsewhere. Was offering in house solutions for you......

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stashyboy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/regular-em-flipper-coils-or-pbr-gottlieb-high-power-ones-which-do-you-use?tu=stashyboy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.