(Topic ID: 157581)

Regrets - Ok to Admit Here

By badbilly27

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

scotty_p_(resized).jpg
    ad_1446971241_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    There are 101 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 8 years ago

I see many threads where people ask for opinions on specific games or specific game reviews. Many times it turns into "how dare you" by the current owners or "just be happy we have companies making games". I'm not sure when it became such a crime to share an honest opinion about disappointment or a purchase regret.

Welcome to the thread where you can be 100% honest. I know some will say "I have no regrets because I got to own the game and try it." Yeah, yeah me too. But, we all have that game we bought NIB or paid a tad too much for and say "Glad I owned it but wow was that disappointing."

Xmen was my disappointment. Big comic book fan and bought it NIB. The shot layout I actually liked at first, but the code and sounds were a mess. Wolvy blocking shots - even after adjusting - like the Beast left outlane was a bummer. I stayed in until the last code update which was a huge improvement. But those voices were terribly integrated and like nails on a chalkboard after awhile. Long code update wait, voice overs bleeding into each other - that was the last NIB I bought. Sticking to my "play it first" rule.

#2 8 years ago

I'm fortunate that I haven't purchased any games I didn't enjoy(yet)

#3 8 years ago

Regrets, I've had a few
    But then again, too few to mention
    I did what I had to do
    And saw it through without exemption
    I planned each charted course
    Each careful step along the byway
    And more, much more than this
    I did it my way
    Yes, there were times, I'm sure you knew
    When I bit off more than I could chew
    But through it all, when there was doubt
    I ate it up and spit it out
    I faced it all and I stood tall
    And did it my way

#4 8 years ago

X-Files. Buying it and letting it go. It is a game that needs a BIG collection, and until recently, I didn't have an opportunity to have more than 4-5 pins. I could make it work now, but finding one in solid condition is pretty tough. It's a guilty pleasure, and I am not ashamed to say I love it for what it is: a guilty pleasure.

BBH, pretty much the same as XF. Needs a big collection to have staying power.

Lastly, not being able to afford these games until 2012. What I would have given to have finished school 4 years earlier....

#5 8 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

Regrets, I've had a few
    But then again, too few to mention
    I did what I had to do
    And saw it through without exemption
    I planned each charted course
    Each careful step along the byway
    And more, much more than this
    I did it my way
    Yes, there were times, I'm sure you knew
    When I bit off more than I could chew
    But through it all, when there was doubt
    I ate it up and spit it out
    I faced it all and I stood tall
    And did it my way

How's it going, Frank?

#7 8 years ago

Party Zone. Game was great but the ramps just didn't work right now matter what I did. Really irritating with how much time I spent on the machine, poorly designed ramps.

#8 8 years ago

T3 - hated it from ball 1
    Transformers - never owned it but regretted putting £1 in on site. Only game I've ever walked away from with credit still on it.
    Champion Pub, loved it and spent ages looking for one. Bored within a week
    RFM - bought one, got bored. Bloody prism card broke so had to spend 6 months sourcing another one.
    Congo. Don't know why but it just doesn't click with me. Need to move it on soon

Regret is a strong word though. It's all ended good as I traded them for games that I now enjoy

#9 8 years ago

I regret not starting my collection 5-10 years ago, but don't regret finally getting one together and growing it, even as the prices continue to rise.

#10 8 years ago

I regret not having the $$ when some bargains were offers to me

#11 8 years ago

Ya gotta post the pic to get the full 1-2 punch Clubber.
    Hilarious.

#12 8 years ago

I sold Dungeons & Dragons to begin funding my virtual pin, I sold my virtual pin to help pay for game of thrones premium, but I still miss D&D. That's a fun under rated game that I wish i never sold.

Now with pinflation in my area I'm sure I'll have to pay twice as I sold it for to replace it.

#13 8 years ago

I regret not jumping on that HH+BH for $1600 on here last year.

#14 8 years ago

Yeah BadBilly I know what ya mean. High-level - for me, it comes down to repeatedly getting caught up in the incredible Pinside Hype-fest that builds up six months (or more) before a new Stern title is officially announced. Case in point the huge XMLE thread. Five or six years ago we were all so relieved to just see new pins coming out - and that was fine - there was no pre-order BS going on. Then it slowly spiraled into this hype-fest over LEs which you (don't really, but it felt like you) had to commit to before they even showed pictures and features of the upcoming pin. I had a good collection of Bly/Wms machines that were all proven winners or personal favorites. Unfortunately I sold more than a few to make room for two or three new Sterns that I regretted buying and unloaded in less than two years due to them either being dogs or not my cup of tea (or both.) I still 'want to believe' but now force myself to simply not read the hype-fest threads at all and I know that when a title I want comes out, I'll be able to get an LE in a year or so once somebody else has had their fun with it. That'll have to do, from now on. Oh, and the whole JPOP fiasco really didn't help (or, in hindsight - I guess it did.)

#15 8 years ago

I sold a TAF a few years ago in order to buy a Monster Bash. While I have zero regrets about getting Monster Bash (my all-time favorite pin), I wish I could have picked it up without having to sell my Addams.

#16 8 years ago
    Quoted from badbilly27:

Xmen was my disappointment.

Same here, also my only pin purchase regret. Well, besides RAZA, but that's a whole other story with it's own thread. I love the X-Men comics and movies, and I loved the pinball game's art, sounds, looks, music, toys, but I could never get into the game play. And that damn moving ramp..... Oh well, my loss was someone else's gain, and we've all benefited like that at one time or another.

#17 8 years ago

Selling HUO TAF and IJ in 2007 when " leaving the hobby ". You can't really leave something you love, so five years later back at it and discovering prices had more than doubled. Should have kept them and never left!

#18 8 years ago

Walking dead pre. Just didnt enjoy it, i feel its shallow and basic without any innovation. Bash this bash that...

#19 8 years ago

Regret buying Transformers LE as I took a bath selling it.

Regret selling my irreplaceable HUO Addams Family Gold. I think about it at least once every few weeks.

#20 8 years ago

I have four big ones...
    1. Buying a NIB SafeCracker for $1500, from dealership, and then letting it go for $2k.
    2. Buying NIB Sample CV for $2k, and letting it go.
    3. Buying another Sample CV, and then selling it for under $3k.
    4. Passing up on I've eof Ted's *04959¢ (NOT sample) TZs.
    5. Passing up on a NIB Cactus Canyon from dealership for under $3k.

Okay FIVE. Five regrets.

#21 8 years ago

Bought a NIB Safecracker for $1200 way back when, then sold it a few years later when I was having financial problems. Should have started eating ramen and kept it.

Brad

#22 8 years ago

My biggest regret in terms of buying was getting RCT brand new in box based on it being a Lawlor game. It wasn't very fun and that Troll voice was nerve-wrackling terrible. Sold it at a massive loss.

My general regret is letting so many A-list games pass through my hands over the years and not keeping some of the better games before Pinflation(TM) made it essentially impossible for me to ever own them again.

#23 8 years ago

Not giving Gene the $2250 as a deposit for BBB in 2005

#24 8 years ago

No buying regrets. Except for the ones that got away.
    I regret: Wasting my time playing WOZ & TH. Not being able to service my own boards. But we're working on that.

#25 8 years ago
    Quoted from Starscream:

Not giving Gene the $2250 as a deposit for BBB in 2005

We all regret this one pretty badly. Would love a BBB, but like the 15k in the bank more...

#26 8 years ago
    Quoted from mrbillishere:

Oh, and the whole JPOP fiasco really didn't help (or, in hindsight - I guess it did.)

Quoted from taz:

Well, besides RAZA, but that's a whole other story with it's own thread.

JPOP? RAZA? Thanks for removing that memory block spell I had put on me. That and the whole preorder mess, let's agree to leave in it's own thread.

#27 8 years ago

Wish I had put in a bigger game room when we remodeled the basement. Now every new game means something has to go.

#28 8 years ago
    Quoted from twenty84:

Wish I had put in a bigger game room when we remodeled the basement. Now every new game means something has to go.

You have a pretty sweet collection! I'd have a hard time letting any of that go too.

#29 8 years ago

Regret selling A list Williams titles (TZ, AFM, CV, and MB) in 2006 and 2007 to fund NIB Stern games. Don't miss the Williams games just that fact they are selling for Double what I let mine go for..

Also regret planning the game room for a capacity of 8 games. I find 4 to 5 is right amount and I rotate out the least favorite every 12 to 24 months. My friends really don't play them with me. Pretty much fly solo so no need for 8. Shuffleboard gets far more love at parties.

#30 8 years ago

Regret selling JD.
    Regret selling CP too soon.
    Bummed that I didn't own XMen longer. I loved it.
    Regret passing on a super nice CV for $3k years ago.

#31 8 years ago

Oh billy!!!!! :)Oh billy!!!!!

#32 8 years ago
    Quoted from Duff:

Regret selling A list Williams titles (TZ, AFM, CV, and MB) in 2006 and 2007 to fund NIB Stern games. Don't miss the Williams games just that fact they are selling for Double what I let mine go for..
    Also regret planning the game room for a capacity of 8 games. I find 4 to 5 is right amount and I rotate out the least favorite every 12 to 24 months. My friends really don't play them with me. Pretty much fly solo so no need for 8.

Don't beat yourself up for having priorities.

#33 8 years ago

Not buying that Centaur at MGC...priced at $600.

#34 8 years ago

No serious regrets.

I do have an immaculately restored BK that I bought, better than new condition, and I found I just don't enjoy it. So that seems like a waste of money / space. I plan to sell it soon, and pretty sure I'll have no trouble doing so, so I'll get both the money and space back soon.

I kind of regret every pin I ever sold, even though that's a totally silly notion. Maybe someday I'll be a zillionaire with the time and space to hoard all the pinz.

#35 8 years ago

ad_1446971241_(resized).jpgad_1446971241_(resized).jpg

#36 8 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

Ya gotta post the pic to get the full 1-2 punch Clubber.
    Hilarious.

Scotty P, down at A&J Amusements, rockin' that Monkey Maze!

scotty_p_(resized).jpgscotty_p_(resized).jpg

#37 8 years ago

Bought a "working" t2 sight unseen from a seller I've purchased multiple games from. Picked up a few days later...... bad mpu, wrong roms, video controller shot. Asked to return, no hard feelings, obviously he didn't test it as he was moving several machines that day. Was told that "it gave him a bad vibe" to accept returns. Wtf?

#38 8 years ago
    Quoted from s1500:

Not buying that Centaur at MGC...priced at $600.

centaur II more accurately

#39 8 years ago

Buying BOP, couldnt get rid of it fast enough. Selling JB as the wife now wants it back :-/

#40 8 years ago

I regret reading posts where someone is bitching their game isn't easy enough for them.

#41 8 years ago

The regret I mostly feel is when I didn't purchase something. There was the $3400 Mystery Castle and the $1650 Breakshot I passed on. Better to buy and ask questions later. You can always sell it. But if you pass on something, may be much more difficult to find again.

Also really regret not getting back into pinball sooner. I lived in Chicago for 6 years and never did anything pinball related out in the mecca of pinball. Only bought my first machine within the last year. What a collection I could have had if I started when pinball was down.

#42 8 years ago

About 12 years ago I was heading up to the ski slopes and stopped to see a guy on the way who was quick selling a bunch of pins out of a shipping container from Europe. There was an okay TAF in there, except the audio wasn't working. He offered it to me for $1,200. I hesitated because of no sound. He jiggled the speaker wire, and it worked! I said I'd buy it!.... but, was heading up to the slopes and I'd have to come back the next day with the cash and the proper vehicle. He agreed, we shook hands. He even said that he always honored deals with a handshake!!! The next day I'm back, and he wouldn't answer my repeated phonecalls, voicemails or his doorbell.

That hesitation cost me dearly, as I beat myself up for years and vowed never to own a TAF at market price, ha!... Until last year, when I broke down and finally paid 4 times that, plus another $500 in the shop to get it really nice. I love it now...

3 weeks later
    #43 7 years ago
    Quoted from Cybergoonie:

Regret buying Transformers LE as I took a bath selling it.
    Regret selling my irreplaceable HUO Addams Family Gold. I think about it at least once every few weeks.

The one I bought? If so, it is well loved. But, I do feel bad to know you are in anguish... If I ever do sell, I told you - I would reach out to you first.

#44 7 years ago

I'm starting to regret I became friends with Skypilot, Yzfguy, and Taxman.

What a bunch of dicks.

#45 7 years ago

Selling my MM to Tim Arnold for 5600 bucks. Last I saw it still had the custom cards I put in the apron. That was around 2005, or 2006 if I recall.

#46 7 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

I regret not jumping on that HH+BH for $1600 on here last year.

I regret selling that!

#47 7 years ago

I regret trading my beautiful Whirlwind. A few trades later I have a Game of Thrones and Spider-man...but I still really miss WW.

#48 7 years ago

I regret selling my funhouse for $1100 and my elvira for $600 to my friend. At least I can go over and play them whenever I want.

#49 7 years ago

i regret not having the cash on me at super auctions when super nice Scared Stiff went for $1300 and wasn't a buyback. Or the $1600 addams that fully worked. Regret not buying the $300 Williams Joust, when you couldn't give the shit away or the $400 Hercules (3 occasions)

I regret buying a $700 hook that looked like new (took a loss on that when it came time to sell)

but I made up for it, by NOT buying the $400 SF2, or the $600 one that showed up, or the other $600 fully working SF2's that i've come across. So it's a wash.

#50 7 years ago

Starting to miss my shadow. Sold FT and shadow to buy a nib.. It's cool to open a new pin.. But The new game is gone and FT is back
    No variety in my collection, but damn if the early 90s didn't kick serious pinball ass

There are 101 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/regrets-ok-to-admit-here and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.