8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Were-the-Millers-No-Ragrets-Tattoo.jpg
There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

In retrospect, what are the best deals you passed on? The $1,500 TZ or TAF from five years ago... The $600 NGG or Fish Tales?

I don't have any regrets - yet. Just interested since the market and prices have changed so much.

#2 8 years ago

Baretta M9. I could have got them for cost. Right after that the military adopted it as their side arm and prices took off.

I should have bought 2, sold one later. Mine would have been free.

LTG : )™

#3 8 years ago

Non-Working Torpedo Alley which was 400, if I remember correctly. I don't really PASS on much that I've been bothered to go see in person...can really only remember this occuring two or three times.

#4 8 years ago

Grand lizard $500.

#5 8 years ago

BBB remake, I watched the whole thing on RGP and still regret not getting in.

I also passed on a $2,000 Williams IJ in 2004

#6 8 years ago

Working FH and BOP for $500 about four years ago.

#7 8 years ago

A really nice gorgar for 350 about 8 months ago. Shoulda stored it at my buddies

#8 8 years ago

Balking at bidding at pinball auctions in the past (like 10-20 yrs ago)
Where i could have easily acquired a WMS Banzai run several times for under $800,
before the game skyrocketed in demand recently.
Not bidding more on a GTB Spirit at Gene Cunningham's first auction years ago.

#9 8 years ago

Nice working Fathom for $500 back in the mid 90's
TAF IPB playfield for $250 I think, sometime around 2000
CPR EBD playfield
CPR limited edition white Centaur playfield
Genesis $400 about 3 years ago
Nice Stern Dragonfist project for $350. At least I directed it to a good home
I regret not checking CL everyday and missing a project Star Gazer for $450 by a couple of days
Complete BK head with backglass for $10. I bought his playfield to use for coffee table. Found an empty cabinet years later, so I could have had a complete machine for less than $100

#10 8 years ago

Mint condition Safecracker with wings and tokens last year. $4500!

#11 8 years ago

TX Sector in France for $1200 a couple years ago. Haven't found one available since, although others somehow have

#12 8 years ago

My late barber had a Gotlieb Orbit he said I could have for $100. This was in 1993. I passed because I was really into this girl and I had limited funds. I bought her ear rings instead. Shoulda bought the pinball!!

#13 8 years ago

Few years ago white water for 1700!!!!!!!!!!

#14 8 years ago

White water,no topper for $1,700 about four years ago.

#15 8 years ago

Regrets?

I've had a few; but then again, too few to mention.

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from KingDaddy:

In retrospect, what are the best deals you passed on?

About 2 years ago, a nicely shopped out fully working, no fade, Attack From Mars, $2,100. It was right there in front of me. I played it and it was excellent. I had the money in my pocket and a vehicle with me to transport it. I called back 24 hours later (after I came to my senses) and it was gone. I have no excuses. Well, maybe stupidity?

Joe (joemagiera at ameritech dot net)
[email protected]

#18 8 years ago

Passed on a 12k BBB, $900 whirlwind, and others over the years.....

#19 8 years ago

Passed on a 2k flying turns at Allentown a few years ago.

#20 8 years ago

Staying out of pinball for $0 and having spare funds, spare room, and spare time

#21 8 years ago

Back in college (1998) got a call from my dad that NGG and CV were being closed out. Price to him was $800 each NIB. He passed, then asked if I wanted a couple of games for the apartment at school.

"Nah, too expensive"

I ended up buying a whirlwind that year (my first game) for $475 from the local operator, but not before having my dad call Pat Lawlor to make sure that was an ok price.

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from joemagiera:

About 2 years ago, a nicely shopped out fully working, no fade, Attack From Mars, $2,100. It was right there in front of me. I played it and it was excellent. I had the money in my pocket and a vehicle with me to transport it. I called back 24 hours later (after I came to my senses) and it was gone. I have no excuses. Well, maybe stupidity?
Joe (joemagiera at ameritech dot net)
[email protected]

Ouch...

#23 8 years ago

NIB Cactus Canyon $1800.

Decided that I'd rather buy RFM instead... which I did.

Kind of like when I bought TiVo stock instead of Netflix when they were both $6.

#24 8 years ago

I passed on a Joust maybe 12 years ago because I had no easy way to get it out (of a basement).

Now I can move just about anything, but of course can't find a Joust for twice that price.

#25 8 years ago

Last year there was a beautiful Gottlieb Magic Carpet for sale on Craigslist about 10 miles from my house. The seller wanted $100 more than I had budgeted for a new machine and wouldn't come down. I'm still kicking myself for not grabbing it.

But a few months later, I was able to use that money to buy my Jet Spin - a game I adore just as much, if not more.

#26 8 years ago

BBB....wish I had borrowed funds and bought 100 of them.

#27 8 years ago

4 years ago on a MB for $4k - biggest plunder to date.

#28 8 years ago

BK2K in excellent condition - $1500 - Xmas 2012.

Idiot = me

#29 8 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

NIB Cactus Canyon $1800.
Decided that I'd rather buy RFM instead... which I did.
Kind of like when I bought TiVo stock instead of Netflix when they were both $6.

OOOUUUCCHHHHHH!

Now that hurts!

#30 8 years ago

Twilight Zone for $2000 just a few days ago.

#31 8 years ago

$100 Slick Chick

#32 8 years ago

NIB LOTR $2999 on EBAY back around 2007.

#33 8 years ago

Almost anything during the Super Auction days...they seemed like expensive projects at the time, but in retrospect...games like WCS94 for $650, WH2O for $800, Dr. Who for $450, GnR for $1450, etc. I've bought my fair share of 'cheap' games...but back then they were so common it didn't feel like a big deal to miss out on a good price - there was always another around the corner.

#34 8 years ago

Several years ago, I passed on a Robo-War for around 400.

#35 8 years ago
Quoted from OTTOgd:

Several years ago, I passed on a Robo-War for around 400.

Cool game, got to play one for the first time recently.

#36 8 years ago

Several games I've sold and regretted, but none that I passed on.

#37 8 years ago

Judge Dredd for $850 a few years ago. Fully working. Biggest knock was no topper. I even went to look at it, I was right there and passed. I didn't have room and didn't want to hear about it from the wife, so I let it go. I don't know why I let that stop me, I haven't since then.

#38 8 years ago

NOS Nine Ball pf for 300. Thought it was too much because i paid the guy less than that for a NOS Centaur pf. Guy brought them both from France. I meet him at expo to pick up mine. And I still have the Centaur. Just need a nice pf for my Nine Ball or to sell it

#40 8 years ago

Q

Quoted from PjM:

4 years ago on a MB for $4k - biggest plunder to date.

Same here. My three biggest regrets. An op had one that he pulled off route after only a couple months to put in his house. It was still mint. Wanted around 4k also. Turned that down. Same year a guy called me had a CV, EATPM and SS needed cash to buy a car. Offered all three for $3500. Why did I pass? Because seeing all the junker late model games at auctions I said I would never own one. Even sold my Transporter the rescue because I liked the early SS pins better.

#41 8 years ago

Tracy Volz. the one that got away.

#42 8 years ago

2 years ago....The Shadow for 1500.00 and Whiter Water for 2500.00

#43 8 years ago

Oh, and Predator until sh$t hit the fan

#44 8 years ago

$1700.00 Elivra and the Party Monsters a couple of years ago. Also a HUO Swords of Fury for $1900.00 in Colorado springs. The seller said it sold on Ebay and went to Florida. Anyone on pinside get this?

#45 8 years ago
Were-the-Millers-No-Ragrets-Tattoo.jpgWere-the-Millers-No-Ragrets-Tattoo.jpg
#46 8 years ago

I may have a winner here (only because I've been around longer than a lot of collectors). I passed on a four TZ package deal for $2K back in '96. Way back in '73, I could get any EM I wanted for around $25 to $50 and passed on a lot of them. There were also maybe 5 collectors that I knew of in the SFBA and that was it for competition so I had a lot of time to decide whether to buy or not. Now you have to snap it up and decide what to do with it later.

Steve

#47 8 years ago

Here's a few:

$400 Fathom project in Ohio -- would have had to ship and passed stupidly. Playfield did have some terrible touch ups at least, but even with a CPR that would have been worth it...

Beautiful Family Guy, No Good Goffers and player BOP (all working) for $6k a couple years ago

$4700 Tron HUO about a year ago

$3400 Williams IJ about two years ago, faded and needed love but still

Biggest regret -- not getting into the hobby about 6 years earlier

#48 8 years ago

:DMy biggest regret? Not buying a SS before Ted single-handedly drove the price WAY up!

#49 8 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Were-the-Millers-No-Ragrets-Tattoo.jpg

Twenty years from now: perhaps, some "ragrets". Or is it "regrets"?

#50 8 years ago
Quoted from PINBELL:

Mint condition Safecracker with wings and tokens last year. $4500!

I bought a NIB Safecracker for $1200 in '98 or '99, and sold it a few years later. It had been HUO; damn thing would be worth a fortune now.

Brad

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pomona, CA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
$ 69.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/regrets-best-deals-you-passed-on and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.