(Topic ID: 59489)

Regarding Pinbox - How do you feel? (RE: "Nucore Theft" thread)

By Collin

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 63 posts
  • 37 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Whysnow
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Do you feel more strongly bad for the Nucore team, or excited by the existence of Pinbox?”

• I mostly feel bad for the Nucore team. 34 votes
    24%
  • I'm more excited that Pinbox exists 75 votes
    53%
  • I'm too conflicted to answer, but like to vote in polls anyhow. 32 votes
    23%

(141 votes)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider detroit_pinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from Bischt:

I think this is definitely possible.
1. Nucore and the Roms needed were/still are provided absolutely free with no software license.
2. It's perfectly legal to circumvent copy protection on something you own (so says the library of congress)...and since they offer the software free with no license involved, just by downloading it you "own" it.
3. The drama and cryptic messages about why Nucore shut their doors leads me to believe they harbored bad feelings over whatever happened, and they still had a desire to save pinball 2000.

Even if Nucore were to come back, and we all buy it as I know I plan to do (two of them actually). Pinbox is still the better product. Nucore requires a pointless piece of proprietary hardware, it makes very little sense to replace the prism card which is rare, with Nucore which is even more rare. From what I have seen, the USB hardware requirement was something forced on them by the rights holders when they got the license.

tl;dr I wouldn't be surprised at all if Nucore was completely behind Pinbox.

Nucore will be back, never was gone, just a temporary break. There are 3 people involved in Nucore, 2 active and one passive. The two active are Don and Chuck. They would never and I mean Never be behind such Shenanigans. The third Partner, who hasnt been active for a few years, I have never met so I can not speak for that person.

If you have the slightest inclination of ever wanting to have a Nucore system, I highly recommend you reach out to Don W. personally to find out where he stands on getting it back in supply rotation and find out more on how devoted he is to the project. If you can muster it up, I am sure he would appreciate even the slightest amount of support, but that's up to you. I met Don when he first broke into the hobby and he has been an Asset ever since.

They spent a year plus, and thousands of hours developing and it took the skills of all three to get this far. They also managed to do the impossible to get it legally licensed so you can have another option to help preserve Pin2000's. You may feel they have not earned your respect, which is ok, but at the very least give Don W. , and Chuck, the benefit of doubt that this isn't some elaborate game they cooked up.

Personally, I could care less- I told these guys they were crazy for wasting their time developing this project years ago.
They did manage to accomplish something extremely special to some, and they clearly dont deserve any the BS that has been slung against them the last few weeks.

good luck
Scott
Detroit Pinball
I havent played a Pin2000 game that I liked..... so far

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

My attitude isn't 'it wasn't being sold, so screw their work' at all. In fact, as soon as I am able to legally buy it, I will. I tried to buy one back when it was unavailable, actually.

This is about keeping my game running. I appreciate everything they've done, and realize that the decision to take it off the market probably wasn't theirs alone.

I just hope they get it back on the market soon, then all of this will be moot. I hope they're working toward doing that.

Yes it is, contact Don, and Pay up front or at the very least offer to leave a nice deposit with him. Then it wouldn't be considered Stealing, which is what you are doing.

There are Other Legal alternatives out there, right now, you can go that route.
Have you even tried posting a WTB Nucore thread????

Sounds like you feel pretty entitled to me, like they owe you something.
I am sure nobody wants to get Nucore back in full circulation more than those guys. Stop with the threats, what will happen if you download a bad version.

Scott
Detroit Pinball

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

The irony of being lectured to about 'stealing' from a guy who owns a Virtua-Pin - A device nearly entirely used for the purpose of stealing decades worth of artists, designers and corporations work and intellectual property: Priceless.

Good thing I dont own a Virtual Pinball . When I did, I went through Virtua Pinball and obtained the proper licenses/ and or permission/consent with terms. Never installed the hundreds of games like some do, the ones I liked, I either owned already or bought. I went through as many legal channels as possible, and permission possible. If I was told not too, I didnt. I even was contacted by a designer to buy my VP when I had it for sale. My VP has been to the local expo for Gary Stern too see, without issue. I have cycled through well over 50 plus games in my house, and there was no reason to keep it, I owned everything on my machine.
I dont have a problem if people want to be paid for with their stuff.

Scott
Detroit Pinball

#54 10 years ago

Here you go Tab, last time I will bite

Quoted from tamoore:

h! Proper licenses! I never knew such a thing existed for Visual Pinball. How much did that cost you?
Licenses/ and or permission/consent can be obtained under restrictions/terms of use, that are met and kept. I stayed compliant with any denials and removed anything that I was asked too.

I'm sure Farsight Studios would like to know.
They already do, I am full support in what they do and stayed compliant with any demands.
They are going to be designing their tables for current cab owners in the near future. Obviously, for a fee, which I completely agree with, and fully support and would encourage that community to support.

I played your cab (42" widebody, correct?) at the Detroit Expo back in 2010, IIRC. Impressive that you bought the licenses for all of those tables. To not only have the OK from Williams for you to use their pinball design work and programming for Terminator 2, but also to have obtained approval from Universal Studios to use their intellectual property and character likenesses for the same took quite some work and cash, no doubt!</blockquot

NO you didnt, you played Pauls, consult him on such intellectual property.

thanks
Scott
Detroit Pinball

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
Hackensack, NJ
4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

€ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 234.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Cento Creations

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 54.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider detroit_pinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/regarding-pinbox-how-do-you-feel-re-nucore-theft-thread?tu=detroit_pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.