Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 121 posts
  • 66 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by EricHadley
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20211219-073943_Gallery (resized).jpg
    1F15856C-4472-4505-9D19-88A57BD2F0CB (resized).jpeg
    index (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20211214-154946_Yahoo Mail (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20211214-154936_Yahoo Mail (resized).jpg
    7EA9D428-20B0-45A3-9ADC-A93DACCFAE1D (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20211208-222549_Gallery (resized).jpg
    There are 121 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 2 years ago

Assuming you are actually going to set it up, NiB really should not mean anything.. These are not like your typical mass produced consumer items.

Having a distributor go through it, and make sure things are aligned and tightened as needed, and inspect it for damage and so forth is exactly what you want for your first pin.. regardless of anything else. That's my experience anyway. AFAIK many of the better distributors will do this, depending on the experience of the buyer and so forth.

#52 2 years ago
    Quoted from Maxforwardspeed:

haha, I figured this would come up. I admit that I had a hard time deciding which pin would be our first. Holding value was something that I thought about, but was more concerned about something that would ultimately be an enjoyable and straight-forward game to play. I know "home" pins have their shortcomings, but I am willing to overlook those in exchange for a fun game that will get a lot of plays. (We have young kids, so simple and fun is key)

It's not all about value; but it's nice to know that if you outgrow it you'll at least get what you have into it. It looks like the best home pin so far to date JD did a great job no doubt.

The build quality looks a little suspect to me IMO & that tiny screen ugh. Your family should enjoy though... I know prices are beyond stupid right now... so it def keeps it in line with a budget. Good luck once again great call on passing on seemingly damaged goods/delivery.

#53 2 years ago

Hello pinside, first post! Being completely new to the world of pinball, I'm not feeling too good about our current situation, and an looking for some advice. We just had an attempted delivery today for our Jurassic Park home pin, but the box had a significant hole in the side of it. The distributor was very clear to refuse delivery for any signs of damage to the box, and I took them up on that. As far as I could see, there wasn't any obvious damage through that hole in the box, but I didn't feel comfortable getting an unwelcome surprise upon complete unboxing. The distributor said they'll open and inspect thoroughly for damage then repack and send it back again if all is well, or let me come pick it up (if I'm up for the 5 hour round-trip drive).
    My question is whether or not that is the typical process in this type of situation? At this point am I getting more of an "open-box" item, rather than new in box? I was hoping to not be in this situation for our first pin, but now I'm not sure what I should ask for or expect next. Thanks!
    [quoted image]

You did the right thing and your distro sounds like he’s in control of the situation and has your back. Had you accepted it, you would have had a rougher time working through any (possible) damage claims.

#54 2 years ago

I own 45 pins and I have had several damaged boxes. I recommend you open it and take a look for damage. I have only had one damaged pin all these years. It was a slight sticker scrape. I am to impatient to wait another month for my new pins. You can always note on the shipping package material that the box was damaged.

#55 2 years ago

The distributor was very clear to refuse delivery for any signs of damage to the box, and I took them up on that

This should end the conversation. You did what your distributor told you to do. Well done. End of story.

#56 2 years ago

My first pin, a LOTRLE for $5200 from Automated on close out.

It came with a pallet jack hole right through the middle of the box. Looked innocent enough at first.

Opened it up and pallet jack wen straight through the bottom of the pin. Didn’t damage anything other than a hole in the bottom.

In my newbie stage I said F it, you can’t see the hole and never will.

People on Pinside convinced me to call Automated. They handled the situation AFTER the fact. Sent me a new game and took the old one back right away!

I would have opened up the hole and felt in there or seen what I could see. Prob no damage in that spot. I want to start playing a brand new NIB if at all possible!

But as a first timer, I get how you might get freaked out. And you’ll get another game soon enough

#57 2 years ago

There is a ton of shady shipping businesses and shady distros who may or may not help you out after the fact. You 100% did the right thing. You paid $5k for a home pin that woulda bought you a pro 2 years ago. You deserve immamculate pins and immamculate boxes and service. If people don’t make a stink, businesses have 0 incentives to do anything different

#58 2 years ago
    Quoted from ypurchn:

There is a ton of shady shipping businesses and shady distros who may or may not help you out after the fact. You 100% did the right thing. You paid $5k for a home pin that woulda bought you a pro 2 years ago. You deserve immamculate pins and immamculate boxes and service. If people don’t make a stink, businesses have 0 incentives to do anything different

You deserve an immaculate box?

#59 2 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Could probably sell your immaculate box for $1000 these days

#60 2 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

yeah, isn't there insurance on this? Seems like if it was refused due to damage, then the shipping company should be covering the cost to ship a new one.

standard Shipping company insurance( in small print)is 2$ per lb..At least in Canada. Unless additional insurance is purchased.

#61 2 years ago
    Quoted from acedanger:

You did the right thing! You just ordered the wrong machine Sorry but I'm doubtful this will hold it's over-all value.

No need to hold it's value. It's a toy, play it.

#62 2 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

He deserves an immamaculate box. Better than new.

An ice cold Shasta and a fine selection of deli meats to top it all off.

#63 2 years ago

They found a small scuff mark on the side of the cabinet art, what should I do?

#64 2 years ago

What did they offer?

#65 2 years ago

Put that side facing the wall.

#66 2 years ago

Ask for set of decals or ask for discount. Or refuse it & wait for another one.

#67 2 years ago

If it can be guaranteed that the damage is limited to that I'd take it. your distributor sounds pretty good so far, I'd even ask if they can set it up at their shop and give it a test play to ensure it's cosmetic only.

The real concern is what caused that hole and if there is just a scuff it sounds like a forklift penetrated the box but didn't do anything beyond cosmetic to the cabinet.

#68 2 years ago
    Quoted from gjm:

What did they offer?

Quoted from acedanger:

Ask for set of decals or ask for discount. Or refuse it & wait for another one.

Quoted from Anony:

The real concern is what caused that hole and if there is just a scuff it sounds like a forklift penetrated the box but didn't do anything beyond cosmetic to the cabinet.

They said 3 options are:
    a.) $200 off (cost of decals) or
    b.) replacement decals or
    c.) They'll install the replacement decals and then send it

They've been great to work with. I'm inclined to just take the discount though and accept it. Here's a photo:

Screenshot_20211214-154936_Yahoo Mail (resized).jpgScreenshot_20211214-154936_Yahoo Mail (resized).jpgScreenshot_20211214-154946_Yahoo Mail (resized).jpgScreenshot_20211214-154946_Yahoo Mail (resized).jpg
    #69 2 years ago

Is this normal to expect blemishes on new pins? I'm new to these, just wondering how many times pins are delivered with little cosmetic things like this and are accepted as "normal". Maybe I'll have to lower my expectations for my next new pin

#70 2 years ago

It looks pretty crummy. I wouldn't take the discount, just because I feel when it comes time to sell the game, it's gonna cost me well more than $200 in the price I'll finally get for it.

I'd probably have them redecal it and send me the game, or see if they'll give me decals AND the game with the $200 discount (they just may, to get you out of their hair. Do the decals really cost them 200 bucks?!).

You aren't gonna redecal it either. But it'll follow the game around from seller to seller for years just like those free playfields people used to get out of Stern. Will insulate you from the "cab damage discount" your next buyer will demand.

They probably won't go for this but may as well ask. If they don't I'd just wait for them to repair it...sucks to have to wait but that's the best option for me.

Is this normal to expect blemishes on new pins? I'm new to these, just wondering how many times pins are delivered with little cosmetic things like this and are accepted as "normal". Maybe I'll have to lower my expectations for my next new pin

No, a brand new game should not look like it was attacked by a baby velociraptor like yours does, nor should it have any "blemishes" at all on the cabinet. Every NIB game I've ever unboxed has a perfect cabinet; that's kind of the point.

With playfields I'd be a little more forgiving, but your cabinet/translite should be perfect.

#71 2 years ago

It looks like it's just a tiny bit of damage to me. All those streaks are supposed to be rain or something falling, I "believe". IF that is damage, I would have them do the decal install. If it's just that white smudge, I'd take the $200 off. It won't be fun removing and installing a decal on a MDF cabinet. If getting the single decal and the discount is an option, that would be best case, in my eyes.

#72 2 years ago
    Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

It looks like it's just a tiny bit of damage to me. All those streaks are supposed to be rain or something falling, I "believe". IF that is damage, I would have them do the decal install. If it's just that white smudge, I'd take the $200 off. It won't be fun removing and installing a decal on a MDF cabinet.

Yeah I think it's just the white smudge mark.

#73 2 years ago

They said 3 options are:
    a.) $200 off (cost of decals) or
    b.) replacement decals or
    c.) They'll install the replacement decals and then send it
    They've been great to work with. I'm inclined to just take the discount though and accept it. Here's a photo: [quoted image][quoted image]

If it didn't even dent the wood there's very low odds the damage are anything more than that scuff. Seems to confirm the box was pierced but just barely.
    I'd take it.
    I'm impatient though and I'm the type to pay extra to get it today rather than wait.

#74 2 years ago

I was on the phone with the distributor during the delivery and he was very adamant on refusing it based on the photo.

You did the right thing. If you're experienced and can't get ahold of the distributor maybe you open it up.

But when the distributor who shipped it to you says refuse it's from one photo it's over. That's the only winning move whether you're a first timer or Gary Stern himself.

#75 2 years ago

Yeah I think it's just the white smudge mark.

index (resized).jpgindex (resized).jpg

Ah. Well then yeah just take the 200 bucks and enjoy the game, I could live with that.

#76 2 years ago

If it was me I'd do C. why not have them apply them. If you don't do it now you'll never do it! Just be patient & $200 is nothing...

#77 2 years ago
    Quoted from Anony:

It looks like it got gouged by another pallet (the corner-edge), while it was getting unloaded from the truck.

Working in logics, I've seen my fair share of damaged freight. Forklift damage is at a whole another level compared to this.

#78 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Will insulate you from the "cab damage discount" your next buyer will demand.

Quoted from acedanger:

If it was me I'd do C. why not have them apply them. If you don't do it now you'll never do it! Just be patient & $200 is nothing...

Yeah I probably would never do it. I'm guessing the cab damage discount for this kind of smudge is more of a hit than the $200?

#79 2 years ago
    Quoted from Shogun00:

It looks like it got gouged by another pallet (the corner-edge), while it was getting unloaded from the truck.
    Working in logics, I've seen my fair share of damaged freight. Forklift damage is at a whole another level compared to this.

Yeah you're probably right. If it was a forklift operator they were being very gentle

Yeah I probably would never do it. I'm guessing the cab damage discount for this kind of smudge is more of a hit than the $200?

It's pretty minor but if you're a buyer and have the option between a mint unit and one with a scuff... that's what is going to hurt you, certain people may not eve consider it with damage.

#80 2 years ago
    Quoted from acedanger:

Quoted from Anony:

It's pretty minor but if you're a buyer and have the option between a mint unit and one with a scuff... that's what is going to hurt you, certain people may not eve consider it with damage.

Well, sounds like having them fix it first is the way to go and just take the delay in getting it (so much for Christmas, lol). Hopefully getting a pin that's been re-decaled isn't at any disadvantage, since I'm paying for a new one after all. Situation isn't ideal!

#81 2 years ago
    Quoted from GregCon:

Yeah...you shoulda unboxed it while the driver was there and looked for damage. That box damage looks pretty inconsequential. I'm all for protecting yourself but it's a little snowflaky to expect the world to be perfect all the time.

This is what I would've done, but I've bought a lot of pins and know the drill. You can't expect every first-time buyer to have the same comfort level asking the shipper to wait while they get a box cutter to investigate further. It's true that often times there's no damage underneath. When one should definitely think twice about accepting a pin with shipping damage thinking the shipping insurance will cover it sufficiently. That's a crapshoot and a headache.

#82 2 years ago

Doesn't matter what anyone says here. It only matters that you followed the directions of the distributor.

#83 2 years ago

Definitely, because potential future buyers absorb cost of applying new decals somewhere between 800 - 1k unless they're savvy & DIY then $200 is fine.

#84 2 years ago

If someone is asking for 200 or more off for that little scuff, then you need to find another buyer. WTF! That's nothing for damage and shouldn't affect price at all. Next time I see a slight insert raised on a playfield, I'm going to demand $2000 off since its 10x worse than this minor little scuff.

The game is fine, take the $200 and be done with it. Worrying about resale price of a pin before playing it is a sign of finding a new hobby

I don't mean to sound grumpy, but damn people, lets leave the drama queen posts out of this. The original post was very valid, but this has deteriorated into unneeded whining and steering this new pinball owner into being bitchy

#85 2 years ago
    Quoted from Max_Badazz:

If someone is asking for 200 or more off for that little scuff, then you need to find another buyer. WTF! That's nothing for damage and shouldn't affect price at all. Next time I see a slight insert raised on a playfield, I'm going to demand $2000 off since its 10x worse than this minor little scuff.
    The game is fine, take the $200 and be done with it. Worrying about resale price of a pin before playing it is a sign of finding a new hobby
    I don't mean to sound grumpy, but damn people, lets leave the drama queen posts out of this. The original post was very valid, but this has deteriorated into unneeded whining and steering this new pinball owner into being bitchy

Personally, I've had many people try to talk me down in price for what doesn't meet or exceed their expectations. That's fairly noticeable; but ya it's not crazy bad. But if you have the opportunity to fix it now I would because yes collectors look at everything just like if a baseball card has a crease on it....

#86 2 years ago

Take the game and the $200 discount. Really seems like a win to me.

#87 2 years ago

I’d take the game and the discount. Who knows how long it’ll take Stern to get your distributor the decal. Then they have to do it. You may be waiting 4-6 weeks.

#88 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Take the game and the $200 discount. Really seems like a win to me.

This. That scuff is hardly there. It’s not unlikely to do more damage accidentally moving it around or hitting another machine than that little scuff. I’ve certainly done more moving them down stairs or thru doorways. If a buyer is going to hem and haw over shit like that down the road, on to the next buyer.

#89 2 years ago
    Quoted from Max_Badazz:

You bought a new game and should not settle for anything less. Certainly have the decals re-applied as you probably don't have the functional expertise (and if you did, why take on a task that you shouldn't have to?) Remember, you bought a new game and it should arrive as such.

Would you accept delivery of your new euro car if there was a scratch in the paint? Nope. Same applies in this situation except you don't have to worry about a dinged CarFax with aftermarket paintwork to fix your scratch.

#90 2 years ago

I do agree with the fact that a scuff is still a scuff & you should never pay new for damaged goods however... after much consideration I've come to the conclusion that due to this being a home pin re-sale value is moot point so buyer I'd take the $200 & enjoy!! Happy Holidays everybody

#91 2 years ago

If it were a very expensive pin I might have a different view, but with this…..

1F15856C-4472-4505-9D19-88A57BD2F0CB (resized).jpeg1F15856C-4472-4505-9D19-88A57BD2F0CB (resized).jpeg
    #92 2 years ago

Well, I suppose another option I haven't thought of is completely backing out and asking for a refund to save up for a different game.... But I don't want to be that guy. I'll just go with it. Thanks everyone!

#93 2 years ago

Don’t back out when you have options and someone is trying to make you whole. You’ll burn bridges for sure.

#94 2 years ago

Have them put on the new decals.

#95 2 years ago

It is your first NIB pin. You want it to be perfect. You owe it to yourself and your kids to have a perfect game. Your first pin is a big deal, enjoy it to the maximum possible. If you take the $200, it will get absorbed into the household money and disappear. Then every time you see that scuff you will be kicking yourself. You paid for a perfect pin and this way you and your family will get one.

#96 2 years ago

Given this was the OPs first game; i think everything he did was right on point and fine.
    As he gains more experiences; maybe he can take larger risks.
    That said; these machines are too damn expensive to take any risk really.
    To the Distributor whom emails all his customers about what to do; good on him, but I'm not sure I agree with everything he says.

It's the responsibility of Stern to pack these well.
    It's the responsibility of the shipping company to handle them with care and patience.
    Anything else; falls outside the scope of this discussion.

The shipping company fuxed up. It's their responsibility to make it right. Not expect the distributor to look it over. Nor expect EITHER party to pay for services not rendered. It's on the shipping company to return a new product in new condition.

The shipping company needs to refund the original shipping charge. Period. As they did not render services expected or implied.
    If the OP goes and picks up the game; then the above statement is def true. If they reship the good game "white glove" without additional damage and without additional charge; then they get to keep the original shipping charge.

#97 2 years ago

take the $200 bucks imo... its going to get a little scuff somewhere at some point anyways.

#98 2 years ago

Dude NO ONE is going to even notice that scuff when you sell it, especially on a home pin. I’m as OCD as they come but they scuff us is nothing. Get a matching acrylic marker and paint the white Grey, it will be invisible. Just Enjoy your game

#99 2 years ago

If you give up the game it'll likely be 6 months+ before another one will be in stock. Agree on taking the 200 discount and shipping it back to you ASAP.

#100 2 years ago

Yep, no pity for the pawn shop... police repos are probably just part of their everyday cost of doing business. Wouldn't be surprised if they claim a tax deduction for the $300 loss.

EDIT: meant for the stolen TMNT thread, d'oh

There are 121 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/refused-delivery-on-our-first-pin/page/2?hl=spelunk71 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.