11 months ago

Topic Stats

• 122 posts
  • 78 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 months ago by Zavadoza
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

madea keepin deposit (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190218-004323~2 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20190218-004316~2 (resized).png
    IMG_20190217_150821252_HDR (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190217_150830834_HDR (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jaymach1.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 11 months ago

So, this is the first time I've felt like I've gotten burned in a deal. Mostly lost time but still frustrating. Went back and forth with a buyer for a few days, agreed on a price for the game with delivery. Received a $200 Deposit toward the purchase. Worked out a delivery day of tomorrow. The guy is 5 hours one way. Not a big deal but had to borrow a vehicle. Drove 40 minutes to pick up a family members explorer, filled the tank ($40) then 40 minutes home today.

Coaxed a friend over with beer and snacks to help me break down and load the game. Went to bed around 8 since the guy needed the game delivered before he went to work so I needed to leave by 2:30 am. Phone rings at 10 pm, wakes me up and he explains he made a deal on a different game he really wanted and wants half his deposit back.

I'm truthfully on the fence with this one just knowing what I have to do tomorrow to get the game back in the house, reassembled and return the vehicle. Good news is I wasn't already on the road when the deal fell through and I still have the game. What sucks is the lost time and gas money.

Any advice is much appreciated.

#3 11 months ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Tough call. Sucks all around. I would just give him half back assuming the half you keep covers your expenses you’ve incurred.

Ya, that's what I was leaning towards. Just so bummed about the wasted time I had this weekend dealing with it but I guess that's what you go through selling machines.

#7 11 months ago
    Quoted from Billy16:

It depends on what you told the guy when you took the deposit, sort of. I always (after being burned once) tell the buyer that if he changes his mind for any reason, the deposit is not going to be refunded. Maybe you did not do that, but since he changed his mind and bought something else he can have no real expectation of you issuing a refund. I think I'd be inclined to keep it--a deal is a deal, until he broke it.

Ya, I never mentioned the refund was non refundable. This will be the last time I make that mistake.

#12 11 months ago
    Quoted from ovfdfireman:

Isn’t that the point of a deposit? To have money on the line as a guarantee for the seller, that the buyer is good for his word....if a deposit is refundable then what is the point of it? Why collect on at all?

That's a damn good point right there!

#16 11 months ago
    Quoted from 2pupPinz:

Curious. I know it doesn’t apply to this post, but what if the deposit was to hold the game until it could be confirmed that the condition was as described?

I think in that case you would refund it if the game wasn't as described. I'd have no problem refunding it in this case if he was picking it up. It's the hours of wasted time to set up the delivery that's the kick in the ass, and knowing I have to unload it and reassemble it tomorrow again.

#18 11 months ago
    Quoted from Muskie82:

I cant believe you were driving 5 hours to DELIVER a game.....

Ya me either, but he was basically paying for the delivery and it was my day off of work so it was doable. Never again

#21 11 months ago

What makes it worse is its a heavy ass pinball 2000. My back already hurts thinking about carrying It back in the house. Lol

#24 11 months ago

Ya they are heavy. The cab is heavy, then you have the back box with the tube in it.

IMG_20190217_150821252_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20190217_150830834_HDR (resized).jpg
    #29 11 months ago

Only one that wins here is MOM! She gets a full tank of gas in her explorer

#32 11 months ago

Ya, I'm aggravated to say the least. 2 texts at 9 and 930 and then he called at ten. And now at 1 I'm obviously still awake because I went to bed early and was finally woke up by the calls.

Screenshot_20190218-004316~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20190218-004323~2 (resized).png
    #33 11 months ago

Thanks everyone for the input. I'm gonna finally call it a night and hopefully sleep in.

#60 11 months ago

Texted him this morning my thoughts on the whole thing and have gotten no response.

#66 11 months ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

how did he pay the deposit?
    paypal?

Unfortunately, yes

#70 11 months ago

The guy generally seemed like a nice guy, that's why I didn't call him out on the thread. Think he just got caught up in buying his grail game and didn't think about the trouble he put everyone through setting up the sale. lesson learned on my end I guess. Like I said, I didn't really lose anything except for time but it still sucks.

#73 11 months ago

Oh no, don't get me wrong. Im keeping the deposit and taking the friends that helped me out to dinner.

#86 11 months ago

Update: He messaged me back and said he understood but hoped I appreciated I didn't have to make the insane drive. His words

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 94.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 38.75
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 18,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    www.retroarcade.se
    $ 14.50
    Electronics
    PinballElectronics.com
    $ 400.00
    Boards
    Great American Pinball
    $ 15.00
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 4.95
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    $ 109.99
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    PinWoofer
    € 197.00
    Displays
    PINBALLSP
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 44.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 109.99
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Just 3D Mods
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 58.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jaymach1.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside