Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 122 posts
  • 78 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Zavadoza
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

madea keepin deposit (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190218-004323~2 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20190218-004316~2 (resized).png
    IMG_20190217_150821252_HDR (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190217_150830834_HDR (resized).jpg
    There are 122 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

If you have a verified account with Paypal, you have authorized Paypal to dip into your checking account. Just cleaning out your PP account will stop PP from coming at you. You would have to zero your bank account, too.

That's why I keep a completely separate and unconnected account only for PayPal and payment wires (different bank, no overdraft protection etc).

All funds are depleted the instant they arrive. I learned the hard way that I needed to protect myself and not rely on PayPal.

#102 5 years ago

If I was the buyer, I would never ask for the $200 deposit back.

Plus the buyer has gone and purchased another game. It’s not like his mum died, or he’s in hospital. He just changed his mind. Shouldn’t he have asked the question about refunding the deposit before buying the other game?

And leaving it until the last minute before canceling, when he knew full well this guy was driving 5 hours?

Sorry, there are situations where I would refund the deposit in full but this is 100% not one of those situations.

#103 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jaymach1:

Update: He messaged me back and said he understood but hoped I appreciated I didn't have to make the insane drive. His words

Stop communicating with him man - he gave you the deposit then flaked out. $200 lesson for him

Is this guy a Pinsider? Open call for him to step up and hear why he thinks he deserves the $200 back

#104 5 years ago

In my country, the law is:
    If a buyer steps back, he loses the deposit.
    If the seller steps back, he should pay back the deposit - 2 times.

#105 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

That's why I keep a completely separate and unconnected account only for PayPal and payment wires (different bank, no overdraft protection etc).
    All funds are depleted the instant they arrive. I learned the hard way that I needed to protect myself and not rely on PayPal.

Does this actually protect you in the long run? Can't paypal just leave your account in negative balance and the next time you sell something they then just recover the funds from that?

#106 5 years ago

The risk is Paypal draining any connected account. If they assign a negative balance to the Paypal account you're not out a bunch of money while trying to sort things out.
    If you give a hoot about Paypal you can sort it out at your leisure.

#107 5 years ago

....after what you went through, I'd ask him for an additional $100!

#108 5 years ago

How about this: no refund, but if he drives up to help you siphon the gas from your mom's SUV, he can keep half of it.

#109 5 years ago

Based on the effort you put in to get this pin to him that early in the morning, keep the deposit. If you had done nothing and he was coming to your place to view the pin before finishing the deal, then I could see refunding some or all of the deposit.
    I know that when I put down a deposit on a pin, there is a good chance I am not getting it back if I change my mind. And I wouldn't even ask for it back. That's why you do your research before sending over any money.

Again, what's the point of a deposit if it is refundable?

#110 5 years ago

I'd tell him you are happy to give back $100 "cash" and that is welcome to DRIVE OUT to pick it up.

#111 5 years ago

Situation sounds way too familiar. There are more flakes in this hobby lately than I have ever encountered. 5 in the last year for me.

#112 5 years ago

Yep, keep the deposit. This is what deposits are specifically for....if they back out , they lose the deposit. If it were a thousand, I would say look at returning part of it, but your time and effort is worth more than the $200. Good lesson for him.

#113 5 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

The risk is Paypal draining any connected account. If they assign a negative balance to the Paypal account you're not out a bunch of money while trying to sort things out.
    If you give a hoot about Paypal you can sort it out at your leisure.

You know, if this transaction had been put thru as a sales item where Paypal would get its commission I would be proactive and contact PP and say what is happening with this good faith deposit and see just where I stand if the depositor is going to try for a refund. But since this is F & F I don't know how friendly PP would be with this type of action.

#114 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

since this is F & F I don't know how friendly PP would be with this type of action.

I don't think OP has said whether it was F&F or a purchase transaction. If F&F it's at least slightly more work for the "buyer" to get his money back, since he'd have to do a chargeback through his CC.

#115 5 years ago

too bad.... his loss. keep the deposit, that's what its for. so many flakey people out there in this hobby, teach him a lesson. Bet he don't do it again, help us all out in the future.

#116 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jaymach1:

What makes it worse is its a heavy ass pinball 2000. My back already hurts thinking about carrying It back in the house. Lol

those things are beasts.

#117 5 years ago

keep the deposit...Too much work on your part not to.

#118 5 years ago

If the connect account is a negative balance for more than 72 hours, Paypal instantly sends it to a debt collection company.

They don't fool around.

Your credit rating takes a big hit, then your home/auto insurance goes through the roof.

#119 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

If the connect account is a negative balance for more than 72 hours, Paypal instantly sends it to a debt collection company.
    They don't fool around.
    Your credit rating takes a big hit, then your home/auto insurance goes through the roof.

72 hours doesn't seem plausible as they want you to send them a check to resolve a negative balance. Plus what if you're using Java...

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/how-can-i-resolve-my-paypal-account-negative-balance-faq3088

#120 5 years ago
    Quoted from Leeb18509:

72 hours doesn't seem plausible as they want you to send them a check to resolve a negative balance. Plus what if you're using Java...

If you have Java installed on your machine, you've got bigger problems than Paypal, lol

#121 5 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

Does this actually protect you in the long run? Can't paypal just leave your account in negative balance and the next time you sell something they then just recover the funds from that?

They did, -$600+..... so I opened a new PayPal account with a new email and bank account. Problem solved.

#122 5 years ago

You were right to keep the deposit.

And the buyer was right to buy Iron Man instead of SW Episode I.

Too bad you didn't get to complete your sale though.

There are 122 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/refund-deposit-or-not-/page/3?hl=manimal and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.