Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 124 posts
  • 47 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by frunch
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    General-Electric-Refrigerator-GE-Vintage-Coppertone-Brown-1960s (resized).jpg
    20180313_100000 (resized).jpg
    20180313_100008 (resized).jpg
    20180313_095649 (resized).jpg
    20180313_083753 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20180312-003133.png
    Screenshot_20180312-002309.png
    Screenshot_20180312-002256.png
    IMG_0981 (resized).JPG
    f35f2d6cdc4f198c769774236ae921f6--rotary-phones (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    46a4c6754e34639c7623b069532f593dc744ec6f (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pcprogrammer.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Kind of a weird topic but... having a heck of a time picking out a new fridge. My biggest concern is noise - it has to be QUIET. No high pitched compressor noises, no rattling compressor. Anyone have any suggestions on brand/model. We are going with a side by side again, wife insists, no French door for us. I've narrowed it down to these 2:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Maytag-36-in-W-26-cu-ft-Side-by-Side-Refrigerator-in-Black-MSS26C6MFB/301776301

https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-36-in-W-25-4-cu-ft-Side-by-Side-Refrigerator-in-Black-GSE25HGHBB/205509039?keyword=GSE25HMH&semanticToken=20030+++%3E++++st%3A%7Bgse25hmh%7D%3Ast++cn%3A%7B0%3A0%7D++gse25hmh+%7Bproductkey%7D

I have notoriously bad luck picking out appliances, they seem to all fail on me. My Speed Queen washer (only 8 months old) is in the shop for repair. My natural gas Beacon Morris garage heater quit working this winter so I replaced it. Appliances really are terrible today.

#4 6 years ago

I don't enjoy buying any appliances. My dishwasher is a giant POS. The only purchase I've made recently that seems decent is my Dyson vacuum.

#5 6 years ago

I am mainly looking at GE and Maytag. I narrowed it down to 2 that seem decent under $1,500. Anyone have a newer model from the last few years of either brand?

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

I have a GE. Quite noisy. The owner's manual says it will make noise different from your old fridge. Give yourself 30 days to get used to it. Nice.....

Condenser noise? I read reviews online and I can never tell if people are just complaining about the icemaker making noise or the condenser.

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

We bought a fancy (at the time) Frigidair 15 years ago...still going strong. Still makes ice... not noisy at all. I did have to replace the electronics that controlled the flow of air from the freezer to the fridge about 2 years ago, but that's been it.

So our Kenmore iced up in the freezer so I had to unplug it for a day and let it thaw out. Then 3 weeks later it was iced up again. When it ices up the cooling doesn't work, fridge goes up to 50 degrees. I replaced the defrost thermostat and the heater. Still doesn't defrost. The only thing left I believe is the control board (circuit board) but it will cost $160. Not sure if it will be worth taking a chance on it, maybe it still won't defrost. This fridge is pretty quiet but the new Kenmores are advertised now with those linear compressors which can emit a high frequency noise.

#33 6 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

I would stay away from black, its just not in these days and could affect you if you ever sell.

Everything in our kitchen is already black, so I'll have to stick with that.

#36 6 years ago

So I read this review on Sears website, a black stainless finish that was peeling. I went into a Sears store and what-do-you-know... the outside layer was peeling off the door! The salesman said he never noticed it, haha.

#37 6 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

Yes, agree. I have a filtration setup at the sink for drinking water, I use that for ice.

Absolutely great advice for any brand.

That's probably because it has an ice dispenser in the door I'm guessing? Mine doesn't have that. You just get your ice from the freezer from a scoop. Very old school.

I would get anything but SS. I absolutely HATE the SS appliances. I rue the day I made that decision. Anything painted will be better. Black, white, red, whatever. The SS is a major pain in the butt. I call it "staining steel". If you look at it sideways it gets all sorts of marks all over it. Its is a pain to get clean and looking as it should. Even though we are several miles from the coast, the ocean air attacks it and leaves small rust spots that I have to constantly attack with Barkeeper's Friend. Everyone always loves the SS appliances and wants to get them. Is there anyone who has lived with them for years that likes them though?

This is exactly why I'm not getting any stainless steel appliances.

#40 6 years ago

I always keep the coils clean under the fridge, I clean it out every couple months and sometimes take a leaf blower to it.

I was told that my Speed Queen washer would last 20+ years. Wow, I was fooled on that. 8 months later and they swapped it out with a cheap loaner (that works way better) and are fixing it. It shakes itself across the room, makes loud banging noises from the drum slamming around. The WORST washing machine ever, my 15 year old Bosch never once moved from its spot, at worst it would vibrate slightly. Speed Queen is a joke.

#42 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

A few years back I received a notice with my $20 electric bill that if I had an older refrigerator and had low income, I might qualify for a free new efficient one. Being I was unemployed at the time, I took them up on their offer.
    They told me it was a basic unit with no ice maker and freezer on top. I said perfect! Just like the Amana I paid almost $800 for in the mid 80s. They delivered it and took the old one away and I got to keep my old ice trays which I am still using to this day.
    Refrigerators and other appliances should never have an on board computer as I don't need them to tell me when I am out of beer.

Yes but even many cheap ones still have a small circuit board to regulate things like the defrost.

#45 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Yep, but the less electronics, the better.

Yea I don't need a computer screen on the door... haha

11_Family_Hub_2017_Refrigerator_French-Door_RF28M9580SG_Screen_CU_Dynamic_Closed_Black (resized).jpg11_Family_Hub_2017_Refrigerator_French-Door_RF28M9580SG_Screen_CU_Dynamic_Closed_Black (resized).jpg

#50 6 years ago

Ok, maybe if you could play pinball arcade on the door.

fridge-pinball (resized).jpgfridge-pinball (resized).jpg

#68 6 years ago

I think I've ruled out the GE. When I looked at one in the store the fan in the freezer was noticeably louder than the other refrigerators. I think I'm down to either Whirlpool or Maytag - either this one:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Maytag-36-in-W-26-cu-ft-Side-by-Side-Refrigerator-in-Black-MSS26C6MFB/301776301

or

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Whirlpool-36-in-W-28-cu-ft-Side-by-Side-Refrigerator-in-Black-Full-Depth-WRS588FIHB/302330495

or

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Whirlpool-36-in-W-24-55-cu-ft-Side-by-Side-Refrigerator-in-Black-WRS325SDHB/302894856

Kitchen Aid looks great too but they are all well over 2k, not going to spend that much, I want to keep it under $1,500. My 10 year old Kenmore was manufactured by Whirlpool.

#72 6 years ago

So I was reading also that GE is owned by China - the refrigerator business, not the entire company.

#80 6 years ago
    Quoted from frunch:

Do you have a model #, op? I can do a little research for you and possibly come up with a solution. If you already replaced defrost thermostat and heater, the only thing left is whatever controls the defrost cycle--most likely a circuit board of some sort.
    (I fix household appliances for a living)

The model is 10657989700

I replaced the heater and the sensor in the freezer for the defrost. Still doesn't work. I figured it was probably that small circuit board. It costs $160 so I was a little hesitant to buy it since I wasn't 100% sure it would fix it. I've been using a hair dryer once a week to defost the freezer, I kept the cover removed so I could melt off the frost build up.

#82 6 years ago

Thanks for the info! I'm going to give it a shot.

#87 6 years ago

Ok, R15 is now removed! I couldn't get it to do the 40 minute defrost with the controls set to off. Waiting to see if anything happens now. I have the fridge on like normal now. The temp settings are right in the middle. Do you think it will defrost after 8 hours?

#89 6 years ago

The compressor comes on and still works. The behavior definitely feels a bit different after removing that R15 resistor. Before I could slide the temp knob back and forth from on to off and I could hear a "click" from the knob area and then the compressor would kick in right away. Now there is a 5 minute delay, then the compressor turns on. The fridge still seems to cool just fine. freezer at -10 and fridge around 34.

I tried both ways you suggested and I still can't get it to work. I'm hoping just leaving it on all night the defrost might kick in.

#91 6 years ago

Still hasn't went into defrost mode. I wonder if that defrost thermostat I got from amazon is defective. Maybe I'll order another one and try it. This is the one I ordered - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LQDA384/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

#93 6 years ago

20180313_083753 (resized).jpg20180313_083753 (resized).jpg

#94 6 years ago

Those marks on the frost were from my kid. He was scraping it with his hand and the ice fell to the bottom. It looks identical to how it did yesterday, maybe even a little more build up.

#96 6 years ago

It says whirlpool on the packaging

20180313_095649 (resized).jpg20180313_095649 (resized).jpg

#97 6 years ago

The heater...

20180313_100008 (resized).jpg20180313_100008 (resized).jpg

20180313_100000 (resized).jpg20180313_100000 (resized).jpg

#100 6 years ago
    Quoted from frunch:

Have you been running the refrig with the evaporator cover off? That could be limiting the effectiveness of the defrost cycle (, and possibly account for the lower-than-expected temperatures...

I had the sliders to the right too much. They are in the middle now for the fridge and freezer. I'm at -2 and 36 now. I did take a hair dryer earlier today and got rid of all the frost because it was starting to get too excessive. Yes, I am currently running it with the cover off, it doesn't seem to affect the cooling much, once I can verify the defrost is working I'll put it all back together again. It isn't working yet, we'll see how much frost is back on there at this time tomorrow. I don't think removing that capacitor R15 did anything. Again, it could be that thermostat. So I did order it on amazon but it came in a package that said Whirlpool and the Searspartsdirect site says that the original is replaced with this one, it's the same one they sell. Everything hooking up fine. This is really puzzling me. Honestly this fridge has sat for 10 years and never once been unplugged, the defrost has always worked perfectly until now.

#103 6 years ago
    Quoted from gr3456:

Hi pcprogrammer.
    What you are going through is exactly what I went through on my side by side kenmore. After testing continuity on the freezer heater element and finding out that was good, I found my way to the defrost circuit board that was located in the refrigerator side where my controls were. I found that the relay on that defrost board was not working so I ordered a defrost board on eBay. Think I paid about 40$ or less with free ship. That fixed it for me and all the iced up freezer coils got defrosted. The defrost relay kicks on and off several times a day and the contacts inside the relay spark and no longer get the current out to the heater element. I took the relay off the old board and confirmed this with my multimeter. I am sure I could have just replaced the relay but bought the new control board in case my suspicion was wrong. Going strong now for the last six months. Hope this helps you because it is far cheaper than a new fridge. Swapping that small board takes 5 min and is very easy to do.

Yea, I already took the board out once to clip off that resistor, it's pretty easy to get the board out. I was going to buy one on eBay also, but the problem is the one I found was $30 and it was a 10 year old used board also. Probably be best to just get a brand new one for $160. I'm guessing these boards only have a 10 year life to them, give or take a couple years, especially with what you described with the relay.

The defrost still hasn't kicked in since I posted last time. I think I'll take the plunge and buy a new board. Thanks to frunch and gr3456 for your insights into helping me get it fixed.

#106 6 years ago

W10135901 should be the model number. I haven't been able to find it any less than $160

1 week later
    #111 6 years ago

New circuit board did the trick! It went into a defrost mode right away after I installed it and plugged the fridge back in!

#122 6 years ago

I hated to get a new fridge when this one was still cooling just fine, it was just the defrost not working. I just got everything put back together, defrost still working great. My bottom drawers on the fridge side are broken too. I'll probably buy at least one of the drawers, they are $72 on the sears parts direct site.

#123 6 years ago

If I ever do get a new fridge someday, I'll probably stick with Whirlpool. They are easy to work on (this Kenmore was made by whirlpool).

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pcprogrammer.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/refrigerators?tu=pcprogrammer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.