Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 124 posts
  • 47 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by frunch
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    General-Electric-Refrigerator-GE-Vintage-Coppertone-Brown-1960s (resized).jpg
    20180313_100000 (resized).jpg
    20180313_100008 (resized).jpg
    20180313_095649 (resized).jpg
    20180313_083753 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20180312-003133.png
    Screenshot_20180312-002309.png
    Screenshot_20180312-002256.png
    IMG_0981 (resized).JPG
    f35f2d6cdc4f198c769774236ae921f6--rotary-phones (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    46a4c6754e34639c7623b069532f593dc744ec6f (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goingincirclez.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#38 6 years ago

We got a Kenmore-branded LG French door (bottom freezer) in 2010, and it is great.... relatively silent (just a pleasing white whir from the blower fan if the rest of the house was dead silent), and reliable thus far. Only noise was the icemaker. Only defect was the "door open" alarm would actually not work because the switch trigger was too big (so a cracked open door could still shut the switch), but that was an easy fix. One time I moved it and caused a fairing to contact the blower fan, but again, an easy fix.

The only thing I did not like about that fridge was the french doors have friction seals, which are almost designed to fail, though they haven't yet. Oh, and the white plastic turned to yellow in like two years. Only on the top of the freezer door, but still - not happy about that.

When we moved 18 mos ago we bought a Kenmore-branded Electrolux french, similar to the LG. It works as a fridge and is very queit, but seems cheaply made. The icemaker is stupidly designed and spills ice all over the freezer bay when you pull the drawer. The door seals use a proper center flap, but the bins are are a flimsy plastic I don't expect to last long. That was the first and will be the last appliance we ever buy "sight unseen" online, but the price was pretty good so I can't be too mad about it.

I've had good luck with appliances, but I tend to fix minor things that bug most people. Samurai Appliance Repair Man is your friend! So is cleaning your fridge coils.

Our 2015 LG washer is an absolute POS though. That is the first and last time I will buy something soley based on Consumer Reports recommendations. Hate it!

#49 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Refrigerators and other appliances should never have an on board computer as I don't need them to tell me when I am out of beer.

A-fucking-men! That's the thing I hate the most about the LG topload washer: the stupidass computer selector, and timer, and load detection. You wash anything heavier than a load of napkins and it constantly thinks it's off balance, and quits. Load up and get it started and turn around to find a sock that fell out of the basket? Just hit the button.... wait for the fill cycle to stop.... wait for the door to unlock... add your sock... then wait for the cycle to reset. Oh, and forget about "high efficiency": its auto load detection can't ever seem to figure out the difference between a couple dirty rags or a dozen towels, so it just fills the tub regardless to be safe. The "HE" part comes from simulating a Nuclear Centrifuge, whereby all your clothes will be fused into one laminate mass you have to peel from the drum.

You know what appliance never gave two f*cks about what I put in it? My 2002 Whirlpool washer. It was loud, it got clunky, the agitator was always in the way and came to require an annual $10 parts replacement, but all you had to do was throw stuff in, set the water level, set the cycle type, and walk away. It always finished the job. Can't even count how many times I've come back to that POS LG to find an "unbalanced" error that made it quit, and have to start all over again. I have a family, we do 5 loads a week... that time adds up quick!

I finally defeated its damn door lock though. That thing drove me crazy.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goingincirclez.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/refrigerators?tu=goingincirclez and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.