Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 124 posts
  • 47 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by frunch
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    General-Electric-Refrigerator-GE-Vintage-Coppertone-Brown-1960s (resized).jpg
    20180313_100000 (resized).jpg
    20180313_100008 (resized).jpg
    20180313_095649 (resized).jpg
    20180313_083753 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20180312-003133.png
    Screenshot_20180312-002309.png
    Screenshot_20180312-002256.png
    IMG_0981 (resized).JPG
    f35f2d6cdc4f198c769774236ae921f6--rotary-phones (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    46a4c6754e34639c7623b069532f593dc744ec6f (resized).jpg
    There are 124 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 6 years ago

Kind of a weird topic but... having a heck of a time picking out a new fridge. My biggest concern is noise - it has to be QUIET. No high pitched compressor noises, no rattling compressor. Anyone have any suggestions on brand/model. We are going with a side by side again, wife insists, no French door for us. I've narrowed it down to these 2:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Maytag-36-in-W-26-cu-ft-Side-by-Side-Refrigerator-in-Black-MSS26C6MFB/301776301

https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-36-in-W-25-4-cu-ft-Side-by-Side-Refrigerator-in-Black-GSE25HGHBB/205509039?keyword=GSE25HMH&semanticToken=20030+++%3E++++st%3A%7Bgse25hmh%7D%3Ast++cn%3A%7B0%3A0%7D++gse25hmh+%7Bproductkey%7D

I have notoriously bad luck picking out appliances, they seem to all fail on me. My Speed Queen washer (only 8 months old) is in the shop for repair. My natural gas Beacon Morris garage heater quit working this winter so I replaced it. Appliances really are terrible today.

#2 6 years ago

so much stuff made now is just throw away instead of reliable and repairable. some costs almost as much to fix as just buy new. good luck on your fridge choice.

#3 6 years ago

I'd look to find an old Kelvinator if you want quiet. All the newer ones make noise that the old ones don't.

#4 6 years ago

I don't enjoy buying any appliances. My dishwasher is a giant POS. The only purchase I've made recently that seems decent is my Dyson vacuum.

#5 6 years ago

I am mainly looking at GE and Maytag. I narrowed it down to 2 that seem decent under $1,500. Anyone have a newer model from the last few years of either brand?

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from pcprogrammer:

I am mainly looking at GE and Maytag. I narrowed it down to 2 that seem decent under $1,500. Anyone have a newer model from the last few years of either brand?

I have a GE. Quite noisy. The owner's manual says it will make noise different from your old fridge. Give yourself 30 days to get used to it. Nice.....

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

I have a GE. Quite noisy. The owner's manual says it will make noise different from your old fridge. Give yourself 30 days to get used to it. Nice.....

Condenser noise? I read reviews online and I can never tell if people are just complaining about the icemaker making noise or the condenser.

#8 6 years ago

Condenser noise? I read reviews online and I can never tell if people are just complaining about the icemaker making noise or the condenser.

I'd say compressor, condenser fan and maybe the interior blower motor are contributing to the noise.

#9 6 years ago

Kinda related; I finally unplugged our name brand , $1k stand alone ice maker , it was so loud.

#10 6 years ago

Kind of a weird topic but... having a heck of a time picking out a new fridge. My biggest concern is noise - it has to be QUIET. No high pitched compressor noises, no rattling compressor. Anyone have any suggestions on brand/model. We are going with a side by side again, wife insists, no French door for us. I've narrowed it down to these 2:
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Maytag-36-in-W-26-cu-ft-Side-by-Side-Refrigerator-in-Black-MSS26C6MFB/301776301
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-36-in-W-25-4-cu-ft-Side-by-Side-Refrigerator-in-Black-GSE25HGHBB/205509039?keyword=GSE25HMH&semanticToken=20030+++%3E++++st%3A%7Bgse25hmh%7D%3Ast++cn%3A%7B0%3A0%7D++gse25hmh+%7Bproductkey%7D
    I have notoriously bad luck picking out appliances, they seem to all fail on me. My Speed Queen washer (only 8 months old) is in the shop for repair. My natural gas Beacon Morris garage heater quit working this winter so I replaced it. Appliances really are terrible today.

Been VERY happy with our kitchenaid so far, best fridge we have ever owned.

#11 6 years ago

I feel like I have to respectively disagree with MrBally on refrigerator noise. Most of all the new refrigerators I've come across have been dead silent. You only hear the noise of the ice dropping into the bucket. They're also lightyears more efficient than fridges of years past.

That being said, Ice Makers on new fridges are an abomination. Every one of my friends who bought a new fridge (including myself) has had problems. It either stops making ice, or the fill mechanism doesn't stop, and pours water on the floor. It's awful. We sent a man to the moon in the 60s, yet here we are in the year 2018, and we can't reliably make ice.

#12 6 years ago

Not sure if this is what your lookin for but I bought it and it’s pretty quiet and does a good job.

https://m.lowes.com/pd/LG-23-8-cu-ft-Top-Freezer-Refrigerator-with-Ice-Maker-Stainless-Steel-ENERGY-STAR/50266873

#13 6 years ago

Bought an LG about 4 years ago and love it. It does make noise on occasion but not all the time. Some of the noise is just the ice maker, but you can also hear the inner workings of the fridge at times as well. It is quiet enough for me. We bought the french door with fridge on top with the freezer down below. It also has an ice maker in the door as well as in the bottom freezer. I would recommend both of these options. This fridge cost us about $1700 back then.

#14 6 years ago

Ditto the comment on icemakers. They are like sunroofs on 80's cars - leaky, noisy and will definitely fail. On top of that they take up an enormous amount of freezer space. I have a top of the line refrigerator and the damn icemaker is effectively junk because the door to the chute won't properly seal after awhile. So the ice just congeals to one giant, murky chunk. The repair person said that icemakers keep him in business and he personally would never have one on his refrigerator.

To the comment on the stand alone icemaker, I have a GE Monogram undercounter icemaker. 50lbs a day. The only noise you ever hear is when the ice drops if the bin is completely empty.

#15 6 years ago

Enjoying a new Samsung....very quiet...
    Other than ice maker, on some units.
    Brother was getting a ton of noise from the water line banging in walls.
    After anchoring the water hose line, he reduced his noise.

#16 6 years ago

We bought a fancy (at the time) Frigidair 15 years ago...still going strong. Still makes ice... not noisy at all. I did have to replace the electronics that controlled the flow of air from the freezer to the fridge about 2 years ago, but that's been it.

#17 6 years ago

I love my counter depth Jenn Air French door with the freezer on the bottom, but yep ice maker broke, fill mech doesn’t stop reliably.

#18 6 years ago

This is the Kitchenaid we got a few months ago. Absolutely love it, best fridge we have ever owned. Even the ice maker works well and does not take up a lot of space. Highly recommend this baby if you can spring for the 3k+

http://www.kitchenaid.com/shop/-[KRMF606ESS]-408587/KRMF606ESS/

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Enjoying a new Samsung....very quiet...
    Other than ice maker, on some units.

Uff big time. Had a Samsung with shitty ice maker and it was a total nightmare... Although they did finally cut me a check

#20 6 years ago

Built my house in "89 and bought all new Whirlpool appliances and still have them. Things might have changed since then.
    Maytag always had the most repairs record.

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

We bought a fancy (at the time) Frigidair 15 years ago...still going strong. Still makes ice... not noisy at all. I did have to replace the electronics that controlled the flow of air from the freezer to the fridge about 2 years ago, but that's been it.

So our Kenmore iced up in the freezer so I had to unplug it for a day and let it thaw out. Then 3 weeks later it was iced up again. When it ices up the cooling doesn't work, fridge goes up to 50 degrees. I replaced the defrost thermostat and the heater. Still doesn't defrost. The only thing left I believe is the control board (circuit board) but it will cost $160. Not sure if it will be worth taking a chance on it, maybe it still won't defrost. This fridge is pretty quiet but the new Kenmores are advertised now with those linear compressors which can emit a high frequency noise.

#22 6 years ago

I bought all Maytag 12 years ago - fridge, oven, dishwasher, microwave. The fridge is still going and seems OK. The dishwasher was replaced due to a recall with another Maytag, then that one broke and now its a Whirlpool. The microwave just recently went out in a ball of flame, replaced with with a GE. I'm not that thrilled with the Maytag, but then again I don't think any brand is better than any other if it is nice long-term reliability you are looking for. Its all cheap Asian-made overly-complicated stuff destined to break down. If you can get 10 years you are lucky. For entertainment, do some research on the high-end brands like Bosch and Miele. The users complain endlessly about those breaking down and the terrible service they get. Better to go with a standard brand and not spend so much.

In the end, the technology is at its end point. All this stuff: fridges, ovens, dishwashers, microwaves, washers, dryers, etc - the design of the mechanics has long been perfected! They all work just as well as any other. You are just paying more for fancy features and finishes when you get higher end brands, but they all work the same. I like a fridge that has decent space inside and keeps things cold. That's it. Don't need water in the door, ice in the door, doors within the door, an LCD with an internet connection, etc. Just the basics is good for me.

I'm also in on the icemaker comments. Sick of those things. Mine is sitting there dead. You know what? These things work pretty darn well, easy as pie and they never break down. I just keep refilling them and dumping them into the holding tray.

ice tray (resized).jpgice tray (resized).jpg

#23 6 years ago

We just installed a a new Amana yesterday, basic side by side with front dispenser. Overall pretty quiet...except for when the icemaker fills, it seems pretty loud compared to what I am used to.

#24 6 years ago

A service guy told me to buy Kitchenaid so I did. Ive had it for a few years now without a hitch. He also told me to pull that plastic vent piece off of the bottom to vacuum off the coils and fins every 6 months. He said that that is one of the biggest things to cause problems. I went to sears outlet and got a 3k fridge for 1400 because it has a minor scratch on it.

Buy the way....We originally had a Samsung delivered and it was getting warmer instead of colder. Thats when the service guy told me to go with Kitchenaid

#25 6 years ago
    Quoted from Monk:

Bought an LG about 4 years ago and love it. It does make noise on occasion but not all the time. Some of the noise is just the ice maker, but you can also hear the inner workings of the fridge at times as well. It is quiet enough for me. We bought the french door with fridge on top with the freezer down below. It also has an ice maker in the door as well as in the bottom freezer. I would recommend both of these options. This fridge cost us about $1700 back then.

+1 on the LG, every once in a while you will hear the ice drop into the bucket, but other than that you never hear it running.

#26 6 years ago

I would stay away from black, its just not in these days and could affect you if you ever sell.

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from mrossman5:

Not sure if this is what your lookin for but I bought it and it’s pretty quiet and does a good job.
    https://m.lowes.com/pd/LG-23-8-cu-ft-Top-Freezer-Refrigerator-with-Ice-Maker-Stainless-Steel-ENERGY-STAR/50266873

LG is total crap, I had one for 6 years and it it died. I talked to a repairman and he said "if I got 6 years out of an LG I was lucky". Disposable, planned obsolescence, total BS.

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

I have a GE and it makes noises like a plane taking off. If you are looking at Maytag that is probably your best bet.

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from Strummy:

A service guy told me to buy Kitchenaid so I did. Ive had it for a few years now without a hitch. He also told me to pull that plastic vent piece off of the bottom to vacuum off the coils and fins every 6 months.

I have a friend who works on refrigerators, He says dirty clogged coils is #1 killer of refrigerators. We have a Husky Shepard mix, you wouldn't believe the amount of hair that gets to the fan, condenser, and coils. I pull it out from the wall twice a year and vacuum.

#30 6 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

I just keep refilling them and dumping them into the holding tray.

That's a great route as long as you can actually open the ice maker tray

#31 6 years ago

Get one of these and you can start the next ice age in the freezer.

DSCN2640__03768.1510863035.500.659 (resized).jpgDSCN2640__03768.1510863035.500.659 (resized).jpg

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

I'm also in on the icemaker comments. Sick of those things. Mine is sitting there dead. You know what? These things work pretty darn well, easy as pie and they never break down. I just keep refilling them and dumping them into the holding tray.

Automatic ice makers are worthless. The ice tastes like shit.

I use those trays and bottled water for my ice. No tap water or you might as well use that crappy ice maker.

#33 6 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

I would stay away from black, its just not in these days and could affect you if you ever sell.

Everything in our kitchen is already black, so I'll have to stick with that.

#34 6 years ago

Once you go black you can only go to black stainless...that shit is sweet

#35 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Automatic ice makers are worthless. The ice tastes like shit.
    I use those trays and bottled water for my ice. No tap water or you might as well use that crappy ice maker.

Yes, agree. I have a filtration setup at the sink for drinking water, I use that for ice.

Quoted from HD_Fatboy:

I have a friend who works on refrigerators, He says dirty clogged coils is #1 killer of refrigerators. We have a Husky Shepard mix, you wouldn't believe the amount of hair that gets to the fan, condenser, and coils. I pull it out from the wall twice a year and vacuum.

Absolutely great advice for any brand.

Quoted from TheLaw:

That's a great route as long as you can actually open the ice maker tray

That's probably because it has an ice dispenser in the door I'm guessing? Mine doesn't have that. You just get your ice from the freezer from a scoop. Very old school.

Quoted from Darscot:

I would get anything but SS. I absolutely HATE the SS appliances. I rue the day I made that decision. Anything painted will be better. Black, white, red, whatever. The SS is a major pain in the butt. I call it "staining steel". If you look at it sideways it gets all sorts of marks all over it. Its is a pain to get clean and looking as it should. Even though we are several miles from the coast, the ocean air attacks it and leaves small rust spots that I have to constantly attack with Barkeeper's Friend. Everyone always loves the SS appliances and wants to get them. Is there anyone who has lived with them for years that likes them though?

#36 6 years ago

So I read this review on Sears website, a black stainless finish that was peeling. I went into a Sears store and what-do-you-know... the outside layer was peeling off the door! The salesman said he never noticed it, haha.

#37 6 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

Yes, agree. I have a filtration setup at the sink for drinking water, I use that for ice.

Absolutely great advice for any brand.

That's probably because it has an ice dispenser in the door I'm guessing? Mine doesn't have that. You just get your ice from the freezer from a scoop. Very old school.

I would get anything but SS. I absolutely HATE the SS appliances. I rue the day I made that decision. Anything painted will be better. Black, white, red, whatever. The SS is a major pain in the butt. I call it "staining steel". If you look at it sideways it gets all sorts of marks all over it. Its is a pain to get clean and looking as it should. Even though we are several miles from the coast, the ocean air attacks it and leaves small rust spots that I have to constantly attack with Barkeeper's Friend. Everyone always loves the SS appliances and wants to get them. Is there anyone who has lived with them for years that likes them though?

This is exactly why I'm not getting any stainless steel appliances.

#38 6 years ago

We got a Kenmore-branded LG French door (bottom freezer) in 2010, and it is great.... relatively silent (just a pleasing white whir from the blower fan if the rest of the house was dead silent), and reliable thus far. Only noise was the icemaker. Only defect was the "door open" alarm would actually not work because the switch trigger was too big (so a cracked open door could still shut the switch), but that was an easy fix. One time I moved it and caused a fairing to contact the blower fan, but again, an easy fix.

The only thing I did not like about that fridge was the french doors have friction seals, which are almost designed to fail, though they haven't yet. Oh, and the white plastic turned to yellow in like two years. Only on the top of the freezer door, but still - not happy about that.

When we moved 18 mos ago we bought a Kenmore-branded Electrolux french, similar to the LG. It works as a fridge and is very queit, but seems cheaply made. The icemaker is stupidly designed and spills ice all over the freezer bay when you pull the drawer. The door seals use a proper center flap, but the bins are are a flimsy plastic I don't expect to last long. That was the first and will be the last appliance we ever buy "sight unseen" online, but the price was pretty good so I can't be too mad about it.

I've had good luck with appliances, but I tend to fix minor things that bug most people. Samurai Appliance Repair Man is your friend! So is cleaning your fridge coils.

Our 2015 LG washer is an absolute POS though. That is the first and last time I will buy something soley based on Consumer Reports recommendations. Hate it!

#39 6 years ago

I bought these round ice makers and they're perfect for impressing a drunk date. - Pretty cool I think and long lasting if you enjoy sipping straight whisky.
    Second picture in the background shows the container opened.

zzzzdownload (resized).jpgzzzzdownload (resized).jpg

zzzdownload (resized).jpgzzzdownload (resized).jpg

#40 6 years ago

I always keep the coils clean under the fridge, I clean it out every couple months and sometimes take a leaf blower to it.

I was told that my Speed Queen washer would last 20+ years. Wow, I was fooled on that. 8 months later and they swapped it out with a cheap loaner (that works way better) and are fixing it. It shakes itself across the room, makes loud banging noises from the drum slamming around. The WORST washing machine ever, my 15 year old Bosch never once moved from its spot, at worst it would vibrate slightly. Speed Queen is a joke.

#41 6 years ago

A few years back I received a notice with my $20 electric bill that if I had an older refrigerator and had low income, I might qualify for a free new efficient one. Being I was unemployed at the time, I took them up on their offer.

They told me it was a basic unit with no ice maker and freezer on top. I said perfect! Just like the Amana I paid almost $800 for in the mid 80s. They delivered it and took the old one away and I got to keep my old ice trays which I am still using to this day.

Refrigerators and other appliances should never have an on board computer as I don't need them to tell me when I am out of beer.

#42 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

A few years back I received a notice with my $20 electric bill that if I had an older refrigerator and had low income, I might qualify for a free new efficient one. Being I was unemployed at the time, I took them up on their offer.
    They told me it was a basic unit with no ice maker and freezer on top. I said perfect! Just like the Amana I paid almost $800 for in the mid 80s. They delivered it and took the old one away and I got to keep my old ice trays which I am still using to this day.
    Refrigerators and other appliances should never have an on board computer as I don't need them to tell me when I am out of beer.

Yes but even many cheap ones still have a small circuit board to regulate things like the defrost.

#43 6 years ago

Yes but even many cheap ones still have a small circuit board to regulate things like the defrost.

Yep, but the less electronics, the better.

#44 6 years ago

Everything in our kitchen is already black, so I'll have to stick with that.

Mine was black too keep up the good fight. My wifes plan was the slow conversion, which of course was complete bullshit and ended up being everything very quickly. LOL

We did go with the new smudge resistant stainless and it actually works very well. I thought it would just be a gimmick.

#45 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Yep, but the less electronics, the better.

Yea I don't need a computer screen on the door... haha

11_Family_Hub_2017_Refrigerator_French-Door_RF28M9580SG_Screen_CU_Dynamic_Closed_Black (resized).jpg11_Family_Hub_2017_Refrigerator_French-Door_RF28M9580SG_Screen_CU_Dynamic_Closed_Black (resized).jpg

#46 6 years ago

I have a buddy that bought a fridge like that. I don't get it and I think it looks terrible.

#47 6 years ago

White was the long time standard, and then black became very popular. Stainless has been the finish of choice for the last few years as people like that clean, retro look.

But if you want to fit in and keep with the up and coming trends, avocado green is the wave of the future.

54c9d7dc57b88e70fb943aae9fc50f71 (resized).jpg54c9d7dc57b88e70fb943aae9fc50f71 (resized).jpg

#48 6 years ago

Yea I don't need a computer screen on the door... haha

I do. I men I don't, and I couldn't afford it...but the usual tech extremist in my wanted it and I can't even explain why.

#49 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

A-fucking-men! That's the thing I hate the most about the LG topload washer: the stupidass computer selector, and timer, and load detection. You wash anything heavier than a load of napkins and it constantly thinks it's off balance, and quits. Load up and get it started and turn around to find a sock that fell out of the basket? Just hit the button.... wait for the fill cycle to stop.... wait for the door to unlock... add your sock... then wait for the cycle to reset. Oh, and forget about "high efficiency": its auto load detection can't ever seem to figure out the difference between a couple dirty rags or a dozen towels, so it just fills the tub regardless to be safe. The "HE" part comes from simulating a Nuclear Centrifuge, whereby all your clothes will be fused into one laminate mass you have to peel from the drum.

You know what appliance never gave two f*cks about what I put in it? My 2002 Whirlpool washer. It was loud, it got clunky, the agitator was always in the way and came to require an annual $10 parts replacement, but all you had to do was throw stuff in, set the water level, set the cycle type, and walk away. It always finished the job. Can't even count how many times I've come back to that POS LG to find an "unbalanced" error that made it quit, and have to start all over again. I have a family, we do 5 loads a week... that time adds up quick!

I finally defeated its damn door lock though. That thing drove me crazy.

#50 6 years ago

Ok, maybe if you could play pinball arcade on the door.

fridge-pinball (resized).jpgfridge-pinball (resized).jpg

There are 124 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/refrigerators?hl=hawknole and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.