1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by jgreene
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

I tried searching around Pinside and did not see what I was looking for. These are circa 1978 Bally side rails. Looking for the DIY/budget method to clean them up. The usual scratches and such, but good enough to reuse. Looking for recommendations or methods you have used successfully, beside replace or powdercoat. Can you wire wheel or sand them? Has anyone made them look good with any other methods?

#2 1 year ago

I’ve achieved good results by starting out with the 4-inch 180 grit abrasive balls from harbor freight followed by hand sanding. The trick is full strokes all the way down the rail in one direction only. Never stop in the middle or work back and forth. Keep your pressure nice and even. Use a sanding block for the hand sanding part. After the abrasive ball, I use 180 grit sandpaper and step up grit by grit to at least 1200.

#3 1 year ago

Thanks for your response. I will look into that further when the time comes to reinstall.

#4 1 year ago

Search for posts on regraining stainless steel ball guides or rails.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/refinishing-early-balls-side-rails and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.