(Topic ID: 158499)

Refinishing bingo wood trim

By dasvis

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dasvis.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Well, someone had to be the first to post in this sub-forum...

Slowly starting on my 1957 Bally Show time project. I have stripped the well worn/dirty finish off of a leg & was wondering how I should proceed with re-finishing. Is a stain recommended & what type of clear - lacquer or ??

Opinions?

#3 7 years ago

I'm sure the original was gloss. They wanted these to stand out -- & they did with their flashy cabinet paint jobs.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from Model237:

Agreed - stain matching is an art. And even if you match it well NOW, it may not color-age the same as the other wood, so best to avoid it altogether, IMO.
I chose a traditional varnish so it would impart an amber color, as opposed to a non-yellowing finish - after sanding my 50-years-old maple woodwork to remove (some) blemishes, it was a bit lighter in color than the other playfield wood. The Epifanes varnish brought it back to a perfect color match - no stain needed. It would have been jarring to have different colors side by side.
I look forward to refinishing an entire woodrail bingo with this stuff some day!

May try traditional varnish on this one leg to see how it looks, no stain.

#12 7 years ago

Saw that. These legs were too nasty for that (tried it first), so I took Jasco stipper & medium steel wool.
Worked pretty decently.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dasvis.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/refinishing-bingo-wood-trim?tu=dasvis and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.