(Topic ID: 158499)

Refinishing bingo wood trim

By dasvis

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Model237.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 7 years ago

Although it wasn't on a bingo, I had good results with Epifanes Clear Gloss Varnish on my ball trough wood and pf sides. These areas get beat up by balls and mine still look new. Glossy & deep, but not that plasticized/embalmed look. It should work great on legs & rails and anything else.

This is professional grade marine spar varnish (urethane, tung oil & UV filters). It may be overkill, but if you're doing the work, I believe it's worth doing as well as possible. I do a lot of woodworking and I've noticed a definite quality difference between brands. You get what you pay for - it's awful seeing your hard work (MinWax) peeling off after just a few years...

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from Oldgoat:

And, to be honest, where people seem to really get sideways is staining wood)

Agreed - stain matching is an art. And even if you match it well NOW, it may not color-age the same as the other wood, so best to avoid it altogether, IMO.

I chose a traditional varnish so it would impart an amber color, as opposed to a non-yellowing finish - after sanding my 50-years-old maple woodwork to remove (some) blemishes, it was a bit lighter in color than the other playfield wood. The Epifanes varnish brought it back to a perfect color match - no stain needed. It would have been jarring to have different colors side by side.

I look forward to refinishing an entire woodrail bingo with this stuff some day!

#13 7 years ago

Lewis's Bowlette trim looks pretty nice after his reflowing treatment. I'd certainly try that if the wood was in acceptable shape. "Authentic" is in the eye of the beholder though (conservation vs restoration). I prefer fewer dings.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Model237.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/refinishing-bingo-wood-trim?tu=Model237 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.