Redesigning the Stern Indy 520-5289-00 (2X LED Bright Flasher Boards)

Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders.

By applejuice

8 months ago

Stats

• Started 8 months ago
  • 18 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by CookyJar

Find posts in this topic

Find posts in this topic match certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Topic Gallery

Uploaded by applejuice
Uploaded by applejuice
Uploaded by applejuice
Uploaded by applejuice
Uploaded by applejuice
Uploaded by applejuice
Uploaded by applejuice
Uploaded by applejuice
Uploaded by applejuice
Uploaded by applejuice

Games linked to topic

Link this topic to the game(s) discussed in it.

#1 8 months ago

So as a few of you may know i am big into all things Indiana Jones Stern Indy now has new rules and game play in which i am making use of these LED flasher boards. Unfortunately they seem rather prone to failing and i've fixed my own set of 4 more than once!

After a couple of prods from people I decided to increase the project list by 1 more item and create my own redesign for these boards using newly sourced parts, bigger better LEDs and less SMD stuff where at all possible! I am a plate through fan, as per all my other board redesigns.

Here's a quick video of my first prototype. I had some extra pulse duration control in there to, but this probably won't be included on the final pcbs, it was just for testing purposes really.

» YouTube video

Not sure of pricing for these yet, but should be around the £25 mark. I have a pcb design layout on the computer to so will upload some pics of this once completed. The size will be the same footprint as the originals and will be plug and play.

#2 8 months ago

These could be useful for other game mods to as the boards take a standard 20v input and ground signal activation, so can easily be used as alternative to standard flasher drives on lots of games.

#3 7 months ago

Definitely would be into this, put me on the short list once it's complete. Just picked up an IJ the other day and all of the LED flashers were out. The replacement cost of $89 x 4 = $356 is way to much on something that's just going to fail again.

-Steve

#4 7 months ago

I'd be in just as a backup measure, eventually originals will be unavailable, and anything that results in less maintenance down the road is a bonus..

#5 7 months ago

Couple of pics of the board layout design. Will be testing the design in my game this week, then getting some pcbs made to try out. Need to double check the pcb mount holes and overall size to so that is 100% compatible with the originals

stern_double_led_flasher_board_v0.1_bottom_layout_(resized).png

stern_double_led_flasher_board_v0.1_top_layout_(resized).png

#6 7 months ago

Looking good! I've also enjoyed catching on your software rewrite for Indy.

#7 7 months ago

Great work let me know if the become available I can us a couple

#8 7 months ago

New video showing more testing, this time in game using the service menu tests

» YouTube video

#9 7 months ago

First batch of pcb blanks about to be ordered. Stay tuned

#10 7 months ago

Awesome, really excited about this!

3 weeks later
#11 6 months ago

These arrived today. Assembling and Testing shortly

image (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpeg

#12 6 months ago

Cool! Wish I had the skills to design PCB boards.

#13 6 months ago

First board assembled and tested in my game

Video here of it in test mode

» YouTube video

The assembly machine is now open

#14 6 months ago

IMG_6801 (resized).jpg

IMG_6803 (resized).jpg

#15 6 months ago

Assembled and tested boards will be £30 each plus postage. (That's roughly $40 at the moment which is less than half the cost of a NOS original) Will be adding the product to my webstore here http://mypinballs.co.uk/electronics/store.jsp but please feel free to contact me directly to

#16 6 months ago

Awesome, nice work! Going to order 4 right away, PM sent!

#17 6 months ago

Some more pics of installing a set of boards in my game. Really happy with the brightness of them.

IMG_6840 (resized).jpg
IMG_6842 (resized).jpg
IMG_6843 (resized).JPG

IMG_6841 (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#18 6 months ago

Just wanted to bump this thread and say that I've ordered these boards and they're great!

Installed in my Stern IJ over the weekend, the boards work awesome, really bright LED flashes, easy to install. And the best part is they're much cheaper then the official replacement parts.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bethlehem, PA
Lighting - Other
Professor Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Humble, TX
$ 12.00
Lighting - Other
Professor Pinball
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
$ 149.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 19.95
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 48.00
Playfield - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 60.00
Cabinet Parts
Pinball Plating and More
$ 244.99
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 67.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.