20220504_200035 (resized).jpg
20220504_200119 (resized).jpg
20220502_203110 (resized).jpg
20220502_203114 (resized).jpg
20220502_203128 (resized).jpg
20220502_203200 (resized).jpg
20220502_231308 (resized).jpg
20220502_231252 (resized).jpg
There are 160 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 2 years ago

I have several posts scattered across the couple different Rush threads (e.g., Rush reveals & pre-orders, Rush mods & toys) regarding my Red Barchetta mod, so I thought it might be useful to put them all in one place -- especially for further discussion with those who are on the waitlist, particularly once the mod reaches the final phases of fit checks & location/configuration testing (which will have a lot of photos / discussion).

What follows in this first post is the progress made thus far. New updates (& discussion) will be in the posts that follow.

NOTE: There is a finite number of these cars out there (at a reasonable price anyway), so therefore there will be a limited number of these mods available for purchase. Please PM me to get on the waitlist if you haven't already -- I'll try to accommodate as many folks as I possibly can. I have enough cars in hand (or already on order) to cover everyone who has PM'd me so far, plus 12 more spots available (as of 25 Jan 2022). Final pricing for the mod has not yet been established, since the design configuration(s) & 3D print times haven't yet been finalized, plus I'm exploring other options like add-ons and lighting. These will be discussed later in this thread.

History & pics as of 25 Jan 2022:

Being a big Rush fan myself since I was in high school, I had some fun ideas for mods for this game as soon as I'd heard rumor of its development. Before the game was even formally announced or revealed, I started looking around for this -- the perfect size pre-manufactured detailed die-cast Ferrari 166 (the car being referred to in the song 'Red Barchetta') to put into the game:

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

While the car could certainly mount somewhere inside the game all by itself, that just wasn't enough for me. I wanted to incorporate the "one-lane bridge" from the song, since it's a key plot point in the climax of the story. I tried to envision what type of bridge might be in the countryside, that would also work well for this mod and wouldn't hide the car. I found a basic model of a double-arch open-top bridge, and set to work modifying, resizing, stone-ifying, and trimming/cutting to have it mount on the ramp, and incorporating components to attach the car itself.

After a few iterations of the design, here was the rough draft.

The ball would roll underneath it, as shown here:

I proposed mounting this along the straight section of ramp on the right side of the Rush game, similar but opposite to the setup shown on my Game of Thrones. It was correctly pointed out, however, that this section slopes downward -- so whether I can keep the bridge as-is or if I need to extend the height of the bridge on one end is yet to be determined -- I need to see it in the actual game first. If that location doesn't work out well, it might fit well above the flashers on the left side (over the Vapor Trails logo), or perhaps on the S-curve section of plastic ramp that crosses over the metal ramp. (Heck, that section is like a bridge already!)

While I wait for my game, I made some improvements to the design of the bridge; I added arches with keystones to make the design look more realistic. I also acquired a few other filaments to try, one that looks like brick and another that looks like stone, both of which have darker flake in them to help add to the look. (It still looks good in the original dark gray as well.) Here were two partial prints I made, to test the updated design and the new filaments:

Additional minor model cleanup/enhancement is planned, but ultimately the bridge is pretty much as far as I can go until I have my game so I can start fit checks and modifications as required.

Knowing that different folks have different tastes, and/or the possibility that other mods might end up too close or interfere with wherever the bridge ends up, I decided to make an alternative mount/scene as well. Looking around the playfield, the sharp bend in the ramp in the upper left corner of the game could also also be a good spot to mount a mod, especially with the screws already there to use for mounting. So I started playing with the idea of a 'road' scene.

I worked on a few drafts, and came up with this. I chose a black filament with a fine sparkle (one of three different black/sparkle variations I have, lol) to give it a realistic asphalt look, and the grassy areas have a lot of surface contour & waviness to look more natural. I printed the stripe in light silver to make it reflective and not quite too fresh white; I might try again in off-white for comparison.

I have some additional modifications & enhancements to this scene to share in future posts.

Due to some discussion in the other threads, I wondered if there was a 'gleaming alloy air car ... two lanes wide' that I might be able to use as the barchetta's pursuer. I was skeptical this would work, because it would be somewhat sizable. Still, I looked around and found this:

Interestingly enough, this is a model of a 1960s Russian prototype GAZ 16 hovercraft. The scale/size is correct for this idea, but it is quite large overall and will take up a significant amount of space in the game. In addition, apparently this model is rare, with only 333 made; this was the cheapest one I could find, and it was still $95. As such, I will not be offering this 'air car' with the mod. Someone suggested making it into a topper; that's an idea I might explore, but only as a one-off.

___End of history / major posts so far___

#2 2 years ago

The question came up previously about lighting. Will this mod be lit? I was skeptical about this idea because the wheelwells look reeeeeally tight, but it's worth exploring. I took the car apart and noted that the headlight lenses are clear all the way through (though the back side is tiny), but the real problem is definitely the wheelwells -- the lights would need to be stuffed in there and and there's simply not a lot of room.

Another Pinsider named Dan reached out to me with some tiny bulb assemblies that he made:

He dropped a set in the mail for me and I received it yesterday. I haven't yet had the opportunity to test it out. While the bulbs ARE very tiny, I'm still very skeptical that they'll fit and/or will be bright enough ... but stay tuned for when I have an opportunity to play with these further.

#3 2 years ago

Since I don't have my game in hand yet, I can't really move forward on the fit checks / testing ... so in the meantime, I've been thinking of other ideas/enhancements for the road scene, and I'd like your feedback -- particularly if you're a waitlister who prefers the road scene.

I felt the grassy shoulder looks nice, but was wondering if it's too plain / empty.

So, first I sought out some model/diorama trees, thinking that might add to the scenery. Getting the scale just right is difficult -- especially since some trees could be huge in scale comparison to the car, but I found one size that seems to look ok. Smaller than it'd be in real life, but I don't want the tree to overshadow the car! Then I thought ... THE TREES ... could I incorporate this as a reference to that classic Rush song? I considered seeking out separate maple & oak trees in model/diorama size, but I wasn't sure they'd really be that discernible in this size. So I thought perhaps just adding some stumps next to the tree might be enough to complete the reference to the song. See details in the pics below. Thoughts / discussion?

I was also thinking of what else I could add to the scene, and while out driving the other night (to go play pinball at the Pinball Lounge), the street signs presented themselves as a logical choice. Then I remembered one of the albums had a street sign -- took me a few minutes to recall which one -- it was Snakes & Arrows, with the winding road sign (which, in itself, looks like a snake & arrow, see what they did there?). I made one of these and added it to the scene also. (I realized this sign could also be a nice stand-alone mod to mount elsewhere in the game, so I'd like your feedback on either using it in the scene or the standalone idea.)

(Sorry for the blurry photo!)

So yeah, let me know your thoughts on the add-ons to the road scene, and making it a 3-for-1 reference! Too much? Make it available with or without? Missing something? Do you like the size/style of tree? What about the sign, might you consider it for a standalone mod as a Snakes & Arrows reference, e.g. to mount near the S-curve in the plastic ramp? Am I overthinking these things entirely because I don't have the game yet and can't move forward, and/or because it's way too late at night for me to be thinking straight anymore? lol

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from SkyKing2301:

Since I don't have my game in hand yet, I can't really move forward on the fit checks / testing ... so in the meantime, I've been thinking of other ideas/enhancements for the road scene, and I'd like your feedback -- particularly if you're a waitlister who prefers the road scene.
I felt the grassy shoulder looks nice, but was wondering if it's too plain / empty.
So, first I sought out some model/diorama trees, thinking that might add to the scenery. Getting the scale just right is difficult -- especially since some trees could be huge in scale comparison to the car, but I found one size that seems to look ok. Smaller than it'd be in real life, but I don't want the tree to overshadow the car! Then I thought ... THE TREES ... could I incorporate this as a reference to that classic Rush song? I considered seeking out separate maple & oak trees in model/diorama size, but I wasn't sure they'd really be that discernible in this size. So I thought perhaps just adding some stumps next to the tree might be enough to complete the reference to the song. See details in the pics below. Thoughts / discussion?
I was also thinking of what else I could add to the scene, and while out driving the other night (to go play pinball at the Pinball Lounge), the street signs presented themselves as a logical choice. Then I remembered one of the albums had a street sign -- took me a few minutes to recall which one -- it was Snakes & Arrows, with the winding road sign (which, in itself, looks like a snake & arrow, see what they did there?). I made one of these and added it to the scene also. (I realized this sign could also be a nice stand-alone mod to mount elsewhere in the game, so I'd like your feedback on either using it in the scene or the standalone idea.)
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
(Sorry for the blurry photo!)
So yeah, let me know your thoughts on the add-ons to the road scene, and making it a 3-for-1 reference! Too much? Make it available with or without? Missing something? Do you like the size/style of tree? What about the sign, might you consider it for a standalone mod as a Snakes & Arrows reference, e.g. to mount near the S-curve in the plastic ramp? Am I overthinking these things entirely because I don't have the game yet and can't move forward, and/or because it's way too late at night for me to be thinking straight anymore? lol

I really like the dark bridge but the placement of the curved road in the back left might be a better spot .Since these boys are from the Toronto area have you thought of replacing the grass look with snow ? Would work real well with the premium I’d think .

#5 2 years ago

Do we have any pricing or estimated pricing yet?

#6 2 years ago

Well done Andy. I'm interested in the Car with the light Grey Bridge or even just buying the car. Been looking for that style Barchetta and can't find one anywhere so I'd be down to just buying the car from you if you want to go that route. Either way its a great accent to the game - please keep me on your list.

#7 2 years ago

My preference on location would be the back left corner, since it is a Ferrari, should be going around corners.

#8 2 years ago

Please keep me on the interested list! Would also like to understand what you're thinking around pricing as well. Thanks.

#9 2 years ago

Love it! I am partial to the bridge set-up, but I will say the road scene with the tree and sign actually look pretty good and I think would look great in the back corner if lit up.

I am in for bridge and car currently.

#10 2 years ago

Looks great, can't wait to recieve mine. I think I like the original bridge the best. Comet sells these

https://www.cometpinball.com/products/led-tinies-86-with-matrix-connector?variant=29523005997158

#11 2 years ago

definitely interested in the lights

#12 2 years ago

i like the bridge as well looking foward of getting one...

#13 2 years ago

This color /bridge looks cool to me.

Not sure if it fits in the top corner
But it looks cool.

Can you do a cliff if no bridge is doable. Like italian mountains /monte carlo curve twistie and mountain cliff scene..( Instead of the putting green grass look.)

My2 cents is all ..u asked for it lol

MMsStone Bridge 3 (resized).jpgMMsStone Bridge 3 (resized).jpg
#14 2 years ago

Looking forward to the car and the one lane bridge!

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

I really like the dark bridge but the placement of the curved road in the back left might be a better spot .Since these boys are from the Toronto area have you thought of replacing the grass look with snow ? Would work real well with the premium I’d think .

Saw this comment this morning so ran some snowy ones today... left one is translucent/clear for an icy look, right one is in a flat white for a snowy look. It's easy enough to make this an option if anyone wants it, though I'd have to find a snowy tree if you'd want the tree to go with it.

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

I really like the dark bridge but the placement of the curved road in the back left might be a better spot .

Quoted from Coyohtay:

My preference on location would be the back left corner, since it is a Ferrari, should be going around corners.

Quoted from Mookie:

This color /bridge looks cool to me. Not sure if it fits in the top corner But it looks cool.

Quoted from Pinball-Ike:

Love it! I am partial to the bridge set-up, but I will say the road scene with the tree and sign actually look pretty good and I think would look great in the back corner if lit up.

Haha, as I expected, there will be a lot of uncertainty until we can see what they look like in the game itself. This feedback is still valuable, though, that I should continue preparing both options and we'll see how they look once I have the game.

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from Mookie:

Can you do a cliff if no bridge is doable. Like italian mountains /monte carlo curve twistie and mountain cliff scene..( Instead of the putting green grass look.)

That's a cool idea too, the cliff face could hang down over outer surface of the ramp, like the side of the bridge does. I'll stick this idea in my back pocket and toy with it if I have the opportunity -- though I personally never envisioned any cliffsides in the context of the song.

#18 2 years ago

You'll notice that Comet only has these in green. I did reach out to Comet previously to see what the story was, and that line has been discontinued. They do have something similar in development but "those won't be available for some time".

Quoted from Jamesays:

definitely interested in the lights

So I had a few minutes after dinner this evening to start looking at the lights. The good news is, the bulbs Dan sent me DO fit in the wheelwells behind the wheels. The bad news is, it's not directly behind the lens. I didn't have the opportunity to hook them up so I can't answer yet whether they will light up enough to be worth the extra effort.

And extra effort they will be -- it'll be several extra steps to get the lights in place, including disassembly of the cars, drilling a few holes, securing the bulbs in place and reassembling. Obviously this extra work (and parts) will add to the cost, but generally that's understood in the higher cost of lighted mods.

#19 2 years ago

I really like the bridge version. Any placement is fine with me. Maybe you can do a version with or without the lights? Thanks.

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from John-Floyd:

I'm interested in the Car with the light Grey Bridge or even just buying the car. Been looking for that style Barchetta and can't find one anywhere so I'd be down to just buying the car from you if you want to go that route.

I don't anticipate making the cars available without the mod, since they're in limited supply (at reasonable price). I'm sure you'll love the final look so you'll just go with the bridge anyway.

#21 2 years ago
Quoted from SkyKing2301:

I don't anticipate making the cars available without the mod, since they're in limited supply (at reasonable price). I'm sure you'll love the final look so you'll just go with the bridge anyway.

Sounds great to me. Qty 1 with the grey bridge it is! I’ll place the order as soon as you open things up. Thank you!

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

I really like the bridge version. Any placement is fine with me. Maybe you can do a version with or without the lights? Thanks.

Yes, if the lights end up working out, I'd definitely make it an option -- so you could order it with or without lights.

#23 2 years ago

Seconded. I’m so in on this!
Light Grey bridge as well.

#24 2 years ago

Can you make it actually snow in the world under glass ? Lmao ….carry on

#25 2 years ago

so cool this is going to be a reality and not just an idea that fizzled out! going to look stellar in my Prem, option choice still TBD but I'm leaning towards the grey bridge

#26 2 years ago
Quoted from SkyKing2301:

Saw this comment this morning so ran some snowy ones today... left one is translucent/clear for an icy look, right one is in a flat white for a snowy look. It's easy enough to make this an option if anyone wants it, though I'd have to find a snowy tree if you'd want the tree to go with it.
[quoted image]

I think with a snowy tree woukd look cool .

#27 2 years ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

I just looked back through my pictures from the hobby shop, there are snowy trees available ... so if you guys are serious about the snowy scene, I'll go grab some of those too.

#28 2 years ago
Quoted from SkyKing2301:

Quoted from Kkoss24:

Quoted from SkyKing2301:

I just looked back through my pictures from the hobby shop, there are snowy trees available ... so if you guys are serious about the snowy scene, I'll go grab some of those too.

I was just chatting about this with my wife, and she made an excellent point -- by its very definition, a barchetta has no top. Who's going out for a snowy joyride in a car with no top??

#29 2 years ago
Quoted from SkyKing2301:

I was just chatting about this with my wife, and she made an excellent point -- by its very definition, a barchetta has no top. Who's going out for a snowy joyride in a car with no top??

Well Geddy does sport a scarf nowadays but your wife is right .No snow .

#30 2 years ago

If you want to last in pinball , always know your better half is right about everything

#31 2 years ago

That’s a seasoned grizzled vet right there.
Sound advice.

#32 2 years ago

Hey there, I have some feedback on the road scene mod. I am not an expert and have no ability to make this stuff, but just some thoughts. Please don't be offended, but I know you have been asking for feedback and we all appreciate your skill and dedication.

How about instead of "grass" on both sides of the road, make the grass only on the top/ Have the asphalt extend all the way down to the bottom, and instead of a white solid like at the top of the asphalt, and a dashed solid or yellow line just below the car with some black asphalt extening below (instead of grass). I think this would give the illusion/thought that the road is two lanes in width, and would make it more realistic.

Also, I think I figured out another thing that is not looking quite right. On most roads, the grass would be higher than the road and the current mod almost looks like the road is elevated uniformly. Wonder if you can make the grass higher than the road, and also less uniform (flat).

All good stuff. The bridge is F'n spectaculer!!!!

#33 2 years ago
Quoted from ramsfan:

Hey there, I have some feedback on the road scene mod. I am not an expert and have no ability to make this stuff, but just some thoughts. Please don't be offended, but I know you have been asking for feedback and we all appreciate your skill and dedication.
How about instead of "grass" on both sides of the road, make the grass only on the top/ Have the asphalt extend all the way down to the bottom, and instead of a white solid like at the top of the asphalt, and a dashed solid or yellow line just below the car with some black asphalt extening below (instead of grass). I think this would give the illusion/thought that the road is two lanes in width, and would make it more realistic.
Also, I think I figured out another thing that is not looking quite right. On most roads, the grass would be higher than the road and the current mod almost looks like the road is elevated uniformly. Wonder if you can make the grass higher than the road, and also less uniform (flat).
All good stuff. The bridge is F'n spectaculer!!!!

I appreciate all the feedback and I like your idea of extending the road to the inside -- I can visualize what you mean and I will try this!

Regarding the grass, I'll have to take a picture from edge-on to show it better, as I do have the road set down recessed slightly in the grass, and the grass does have a lot of waviness to it. Pics to follow tomorrow night as I've already turned in for the night.

#34 2 years ago

Lighting update: I had a chance to play with the bulbs Dan sent. I disassembled a sacrificial car and had to drill holes in the frame for wire pass-thrus.

Screenshot_20220127-235404_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220127-235404_Gallery (resized).jpg

20220127_235555 (resized).jpg20220127_235555 (resized).jpg

As I knew they wouldn't, the bulbs didnt line up with the lens, but I was hoping they'd still be bright enough to shine through.

20220128_000726 (resized).jpg20220128_000726 (resized).jpg

So I tapped into GI power in my Game of Thrones to see how they'd do and ... while they do visibly light up, they're pretty dim.

Screenshot_20220127-235251_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220127-235251_Gallery (resized).jpg

So...those of you who wanted this lit -- do you concur this is too dim, should I pursue another avenue to see if I can find a brighter option? I'm just worried in all the brightness of the game, the headlights might not even be that noticeable.

#35 2 years ago

just going from the photo it looks pretty cool.

#36 2 years ago
Quoted from SkyKing2301:

Lighting update: I had a chance to play with the bulbs Dan sent. I disassembled a sacrificial car and had to drill holes in the frame for wire pass-thrus.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
As I knew they wouldn't, the bulbs didnt line up with the lens, but I was hoping they'd still be bright enough to shine through.
[quoted image]
So I tapped into GI power in my Game of Thrones to see how they'd do and ... while they do visibly light up, they're pretty dim.
[quoted image]
So...those of you who wanted this lit -- do you concur this is too dim, should I pursue another avenue to see if I can find a brighter option? I'm just worried in all the brightness of the game, the headlights might not even be that noticeable.

Not sure if this would work but maybe a reflective cone at the lamp base would direct more light toward the lens ?

#37 2 years ago
55B618AE-861A-450D-8BDE-636311D2E49A (resized).jpeg55B618AE-861A-450D-8BDE-636311D2E49A (resized).jpeg
#38 2 years ago

Gouvia did this with his WOZ witch mod 2.0 under the hat .

#39 2 years ago

I think I will just put a little motor in mine from a slot car and some track and race around the perimeter of the game.Doh

#40 2 years ago

Appreciate the efforts, but personally I'd rather order without the lights. just doesn't seem worth the hassle - especially with the expression lighting going on it wont be all that noticeable.

#41 2 years ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

Not sure if this would work but maybe a reflective cone at the lamp base would direct more light toward the lens ?

Quoted from Kkoss24:

[quoted image]

Good idea but there's just simply not enough room in there for one. The pic is pretty deceiving, it's a very narrow space.

I did find some teeny tiny little LEDs that might be brighter and might be able to fit between the tire and lens, so I'll give those a try.

Quoted from John-Floyd:

Appreciate the efforts, but personally I'd rather order without the lights. just doesn't seem worth the hassle - especially with the expression lighting going on it wont be all that noticeable.

No worries, presuming I even get it to work satisfactorily with lights, I'll definitely offer it without lights too. Less work for me, less cost for you.

#42 2 years ago
Quoted from gripwhip:

Do we have any pricing or estimated pricing yet?

Quoted from PinBackpacker:

Would also like to understand what you're thinking around pricing as well. Thanks.

This is the million dollar question (pun intended), and I'm sorry to not have an answer yet. There are a LOT of variables to consider and the designs/process/ time aren't finalized, so it's difficult to nail down at this time.

#43 2 years ago

Seconded.

The lights are too dim, and I agree,
Even if brighter, not sure worth the hassle as the lights will still get overpowered by game lights etc.

But wow, solid effort. You actually fit working lights into that tiny space… respect.

Quoted from John-Floyd:

#44 2 years ago

I have two more ideas to explore further with lighting, so stay tuned there. In the meantime, I was inspired by pictures of other bridges to re-do the road surface from 'organized' flat blocks to more natural shaped flat stones arrangement.

Here it is in "stone" color (note the flake, looks great!) vs the earlier "gray" draft. I tweaked the arches slightly. More tweaks to make but looking great!

Screenshot_20220130-111151_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220130-111151_Gallery (resized).jpg
#45 2 years ago
Quoted from SkyKing2301:

I have two more ideas to explore further with lighting, so stay tuned there. In the meantime, I was inspired by pictures of other bridges to re-do the road surface from 'organized' flat blocks to more natural shaped flat stones arrangement.
Here it is in "stone" color (note the flake, looks great!) vs the earlier "gray" draft. I tweaked the arches slightly. More tweaks to make but looking great![quoted image]

I love the change with the new bridge!

#46 2 years ago
Quoted from Calgedy:

I love the change with the new bridge!

agreed, the shaped fitted stones are excellent.

#47 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-Ike:

agreed, the shaped fitted stones are excellent.

The stones and the bridge looking sharp!
Beaut! Love those stones bud.

Cheers.

#48 2 years ago

Alright, lighting update. I acquired some super tiny LEDs and wired them up -- had to solder in a resistor for proper voltage, hot glue the LEDs behind the lenses, and run the wiring out as before.

Screenshot_20220130-160648_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220130-160648_Gallery (resized).jpg

As you can see below, these are MUCH brighter -- in general, but also since they're better aligned with the lenses.

Screenshot_20220130-160142_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220130-160142_Gallery (resized).jpg

Always a downside though ... in this case, the light is very visible under the fender in front of the tire. Does this make it too sloppy?

Screenshot_20220130-160125_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220130-160125_Gallery (resized).jpg

20220130_161115 (resized).jpg20220130_161115 (resized).jpg

The other downside of course is the incandescents were already nicely wired up with terminals and connectors. These tiny LEDs are "raw" so they'll definitely require extra work on my end. I liked the idea of having the connectors, where you could simply just plug into a comet matrix bulb/connector. So I'll either have to install the terminals or maybe it'd be easier to hook up alligator clips and clip on to the GI circuit.

Thoughts? Anyone still interested in it being lit now, with this setup?

#49 2 years ago

I like the new bridge and the lights look cool,worth the extra fender light.

#50 2 years ago

Very nice work Sky!!

There are 160 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/red-barchetta-mod-rush-development-amp-discussion?hl=konjurer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.