RelayWired (resized).jpg
LEDsInHolder (resized).jpg
LEDtoWire (resized).jpg
OldSwitch (resized).jpg
LEDHolderMounted (resized).jpg
Design (resized).jpg
LEDHolder (resized).jpg
#1 9 years ago

So the ball often settles just to the left of the switch at the top right orbit above the metal guide. I was wondering if this was a common hang up because it's so regular I've had to disable the tilt so it can be shaken free.

I just can't tell exactly what is causing it. It's an awkward angle but I can add a photo if needed.

#2 9 years ago

i dont have this problem on mine. maybe need a steeper slope?

#3 9 years ago

It's pretty steep.

#4 9 years ago

I have this exact same problem on mine. I made some blade/wire adjustments but it always seems to creep back. I have not been too aggressive with the switch yet as it has not happened in a while since the last adjustment, I think it needs to sit a bit lower, seems the angle of the wire above the table may be too sharp and creates a catch point if the ball roll is slow enough.

Try bringing the wire down a bit, the challenge is the switch is on the bottom of the playfield, so once you bend it and screw it back in you have to lower the playfield and test with a ball, it is quite the little pain in the rear, interested if you resolve it with an adjustment

#5 9 years ago

I didn't have this problem on mine either. Ball was always clearing right orbit (long cast orbit) with great speed. Are your flippers strong enough?

#6 9 years ago

Mine does exactly as the OP's does. I just live with it.

#7 9 years ago

Clean and wax the orbit and I bet it goes away.

#8 9 years ago

Ok, after doing everything I could including mylaring the whole section it still stuck so I disassembled the switch and also another so I could compare. I made some adjustments to the rollover wire and now it seems to have solved the issue. Annoyingly I had a tech months back who tried this already but failed so I was convinced it wasn't a switch issue rather the ball was settling into the groove of the switch.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from chocky909:

I had a tech months back who tried this already but failed

Goes to show you even the experts have trouble solving problems, and that persistence pays off! Even a novice like me can 'study' a situation for awhile and figure out the problem before some of those with tons of experience. All brains don't work alike!

Thanks for posting the resolution. I'll be trying this next . . .
Mike in Kentucky

5 years later
#10 4 years ago

We have the same issue. A trough switch near horizontal to playfield? No wonder. Design needed an opto but may have been too early for optos.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from Seamlesswall:

We have the same issue. A trough switch near horizontal to playfield? No wonder. Design needed an opto but may have been too early for optos.

I also get hang-ups on this switch occasionally. Adjusting the actuator wire is your best bet, but as you say, placement of the switch slot is not ideal, so there is no way to completely fix this 100%.

#12 4 years ago

Do they make a weedless pinball?

#13 4 years ago

See post #2095 in Fish Tales Casters Club......suggested adding a Cliffy slot protector to take care of ball hang ups in that location

1 year later
#14 2 years ago

Hi. I have experienced this problem with my Fish Tales machine and tried most of the suggestions. I concluded that the design of this switch was really the problem. I tried to find a replacement switch but these are hard to find and the space is tight, under the playfield, for a different switch configuration. Also the switch that was there was in bad shape (see photo). This was totally a mechanical issue so I was toying with another approach - using an opto. I prototyped up a solution and got it working. So I thought I would share. I still have a bit of clean up to make everything more permanent and borrow 5 volts from the PDB.

Few notes:
* I designed a 3D printed part to hold the LEDs. - Drilled LED holes separately.
* Purchased a opto sensor, removed the Emitter and Receiver, put an additional 70 ohm resistor to drop the current down. (Defect in the part)
* Purchased a relay that is triggered by a signal from the opto.

Here is what I prototyped with. I may need to update to more reliable parts - but lets see how this goes.
OPTO Sensor: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I57HIJ0
Relay: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LW15A4W

Design (resized).jpgDesign (resized).jpgLEDHolder (resized).jpgLEDHolder (resized).jpgLEDHolderMounted (resized).jpgLEDHolderMounted (resized).jpgLEDsInHolder (resized).jpgLEDsInHolder (resized).jpgLEDtoWire (resized).jpgLEDtoWire (resized).jpgOldSwitch (resized).jpgOldSwitch (resized).jpgOptoBoard (resized).jpgOptoBoard (resized).jpgRelayWired (resized).jpgRelayWired (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 169.00
12,500 (OBO)
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

6,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, CA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Minneapolis, MN
$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/recurring-stuck-ball-on-fish-tales and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.