9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by CNKay
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

So I'm getting some games ready to bring to Allentown and want to make them reliable for the show. I need to replace a rectifier on a Stern reproduction power supply. I'm pretty sure I blew the feature lamps supply when a connector touched ground somehow. The board has 3 3506W rectifiers, all I have on hand is a 3502W, will this be interchangeable?
    Thanks!

#2 9 years ago

so its 35A 200V vs 35A 600V .. think about "whats it actually doing in the circuit"

#3 9 years ago
    Quoted from wiredoug:

so its 35A 200V vs 35A 600V .. think about "whats it actually doing in the circuit"

Thanks, I thought it was for the feature lamps. I changed it and still no feature lamps. According to manual, it should be BR1. Maybe something else on the board went bad.

#4 9 years ago

Well a dead short will almost blow any fuse instantly. Have you checked fuses ?
    Pm sent as well.

#5 9 years ago
    Quoted from CNKay:

Well a dead short will almost blow any fuse instantly. Have you checked fuses ?
    Pm sent as well.

Chris, thanks again for your help. I measured the rectifiers as you described. BR1 was acting flaky when placing the probes on them. All of the sudden the feature lamps started working. I shut down the game. I figured there was a connector issue. I pulled the whole assembly from the cab. Checked all connectors associated with feature lamps. All seemed good.
    When to the rectifier board which was soldered in by previous owner. Some joints look iffy but still tight. While handling the board I noticed F1 fuse was a little loose. I had this problem recently with a -54 repro board. I measured the size of the fuse with calipers to make sure it was not one of those cheapy skinny fuses, it was exactly .25 in.

I'm not sure how the fuse clips became spread apart but I tightened it and now fuse is snug. While I have the power supply on table, I will resolder all the E connections.

Are you going to Pinfest?
    Rich

#6 9 years ago

**** I measured the rectifiers as you described. BR1 was acting flaky when placing the probes on them. All of the sudden the feature lamps started working ********
    You probably have a 'bad/cold' solder connection/s on that bridge rectifier.
    You should reflow the solder on all four leads; making sure the solder flows evenly to the other side of the board for a complete solder connection!
    Just my thoughts.......
    John

#7 9 years ago
    Quoted from Lovef2k:

BR1 was acting flaky when placing the probes on them. All of the sudden the feature lamps started working.

Confused a little you measure the bridge with power off.

anyhow so it was a very loose fuse holder? and tightening fixed? You may be able to get away with pinching with pliers but i have been told that it really just will not last and you should change the fuse holders. They really should be extremely tight almost unable to spin and needing a puller or screwdriver to pry out.. if not it is basically shot.

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from JKnPA:

**** I measured the rectifiers as you described. BR1 was acting flaky when placing the probes on them. All of the sudden the feature lamps started working ********
    You probably have a 'bad/cold' solder connection/s on that bridge rectifier.
    You should reflow the solder on all four leads; making sure the solder flows evenly to the other side of the board for a complete solder connection!
    Just my thoughts.......
    John

Thanks, solder connection good, I just installled the rectifier. The lamps were out before and the rectifier I removed was good. Was loose fuse clip for F1,

#9 9 years ago
    Quoted from CNKay:

Confused a little you measure the bridge with power off.
    anyhow so it was a very loose fuse holder? and tightening fixed? You may be able to get away with pinching with pliers but i have been told that it really just will not last and you should change the fuse holders. They really should be extremely tight almost unable to spin and needing a puller or screwdriver to pry out.. if not it is basically shot.

Thanks Chris. I measured the voltage with power on. AC and DC. I had removed the board from the metal bracket and faced it down to access the back side. While pressing the leads down, the lamps started working and that's when I discovered the loose fuse.

#10 9 years ago

Oh gotcha so all is right with the world! And your pin hopefully.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rectifier-help-early-ss and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.