(Topic ID: 109845)

Rectifier board for stern meteor question.

By garman411

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 54 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by G-P-E
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Meteor Stern Electronics, 1979

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
image.jpg
There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

Hi all,
I just bought a stern meteor project pin. I can't get it to boot up, but some of the .156 connectors are burnt up and I need to repin them. My question is if the test points are testing to the volts they should test at ( some are a little high), does this mean the board is working correctly? Referring to the rectifier board.

I tested the orange wire from j3 and I'm not getting a reading from that pin. This one goes to the SDU board.

Thanks for any help,

Chris

#2 9 years ago

Yes, your board is probably fine. You don't need power on the orange wire (feature lamp buss) to get the game to boot. On the MPU you need 5V on TP5, 12V on TP2 and 43V on R113 to get it to boot. That's assuming the 5V buss on the SDU is stable. What does your machine do when you power it up?

#3 9 years ago

Thanks for the reply, I only get half the GI lights on, nothing in the back box. The game has a lot of burnt connectors and some shady wire repairs, I'm hoping those are the issue.

When i got it home I hooked everything up making sure all the connectors were in the right spot on the boards, I turned it on and something under the playfield started smoking. Not sure where it came from so I was concerned about the reclifier board.

#4 9 years ago

You can unplug J1 on the rectifier board until you get the game to boot. Does the LED flash when you power up?

#5 9 years ago

i dont get any flashes on the mpu.

#6 9 years ago

So the LED is on solid?

#7 9 years ago

I took the battery holder off the MPU because they were starting to leak, does that have to be on their for it to boot

#8 9 years ago

The led isn't on at all

#9 9 years ago

No, you don't need the battery at all. Check TP2 for 12V. Does the LED flicker or anything? Flicker would be good. If not, and you have 12V at TP2, then Q2 or the LED or both are bad.

#10 9 years ago

What is the Q2? Its a new allteck board that came with it, all the test points are ath the bottom of the board. one is ground, then 5v, then wma, and zero crossing is the last test spot

#11 9 years ago

My test point 1 on the SDU has 5 volts

#12 9 years ago

Make sure its fixed by xmas.... So, I can play it.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from garman411:

My test point 1 on the SDU has 0 volts

Ok, so no power to the MPU until you get that fixed. Do you have 12V on SDU TP5?

#14 9 years ago

I'm getting 76 volts there

#15 9 years ago

Is this a Stern SDU or some other brand?

#17 9 years ago

all the other test points are testing close to what they should be except TP5

#18 9 years ago

Ok I was reading the schematics wrong.

You do need the orange wire. It supplies unregulated 12V to the SDU where it's regulated to 5V for the logic. I got it confused with the blue wire for the feature lamp buss. Sorry about making you chase your tail.

You probably should start with repinning the connectors and replacing the header pins on the rectifier board.

#19 9 years ago

ok, sounds good I was planning on starting that tonight, thanks for the help I appreciate it. If that doesn't work where should I look from there?

Chris

#20 9 years ago

Then we have to start looking at the SDU connectors and the regulator circuit.

#22 9 years ago

I repinned all the connectors to the rectifier boards and I'm getting 0v for tp1, 75v for tp 5 on the SDU. Tp 2 and 4 are testing good. Could there be a problem with th regulator and capacitor on the SDU board?.

#23 9 years ago

0V for TP1 on rectifier, correct? Bridge BR1 is probably bad. Test AC volts, measure between points labeled E9 and E10 on rectifier, should read 7.8VAC. And I assume you verified fuse F1 is good, but you could also verify by testing between top of F1 and E10 for 7.8VAC. If voltage is good there, the bridge is bad.

#24 9 years ago

The rectifier is testing good, I'm getting 0 on tp 1 on the driver board and 75 on tp 5 on the driver board. I'm not getting 5 volts anywhere except the rectifier board.

#25 9 years ago

The voltage to the driver boards comes from j3? Could it be that connector or the regulator, or capacitor in that circuit?

image.jpgimage.jpg
#26 9 years ago

Yes, J3. I would just follow the power all the way through. Disconnect SDU J3, make sure you read 12V on rectifier J3 pin 8 then check the other end of the orange wire on SDU J3 pin 12. There should be no difference with it disconnected. Did you repin SDU J3 too? May need to do that and check for cracked solder joints on the header pins.

#27 9 years ago

Can I test the voltage like this without plugging it in to J3?

image.jpgimage.jpg
#28 9 years ago

I haven't re pinned j3 yet, gonna do that tonight. Hope that will be the trick.

#29 9 years ago

I checked pins 10 -12 and I'm getting 5 volts, it must be the driver board

#30 9 years ago

Unless the pins inside the connector are broken, but it's more likely the driver board. What does TP5 read without J3 connected?

#32 9 years ago

Probably the voltage regulator. Big Daddy and GPE sell rebuild kits.

#33 9 years ago

Ok I'll give that a shot, thanks for the help again.

4 weeks later
#34 9 years ago

Need help figuring out my high voltages on my rectifier board, test points 1-3 are ranging higher then they should be. I read if the volts range lower its probably the bridge rectifier, what do you need to look at if the volts are higher?

#35 9 years ago

What are your voltage readings?

#36 9 years ago

Tp1-6.4dc
Tp2-195dc
Tp 3-16dc

Tp 4-6 are testing within range.

#37 9 years ago

TP3 seems a little high, but it's probably fine.

#38 9 years ago

Ok thank you just wanted to make sure, starting to rebuild my sdu board and I wanted to make sure the problem wasn't there. This machine is driving me bonkers

1 week later
#39 9 years ago

tp2 and tp4 on the rectifier are reading incorrectly on my machine. i dont know where to begin...

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from Lysurgeon:

tp2 and tp4 on the rectifier are reading incorrectly on my machine. i dont know where to begin...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-quick-bally-driver-board-repair-bulletproofing/page/2#post-2113931

#41 9 years ago

so if im not at all good at soldering, would you recommend sending it out to get fixed? and if so, where? i was looking at replacement boards, butt it would still involve soldering...

#42 9 years ago

I think I would encourage you to learn how to solder.....I know.....

But there is ALWAYS a coil or transistor blowing in pinball, so unless you want to pay $75 a hour to have someone come come and do simple servicing, you really should learn.

The rectifier boards are so cheap brand new, that I can't really recommend you pay to ship/fix/ship for something so inexpensive. Just buy a new Rottendog or similar.

Are you part of a local pinball league or club or....?

#43 9 years ago

i actually host the tourneys at the local arcade here and am also captain of the arcades pinball team, the specials when lit! i have a few people around i can ask for help, butt most are really busy this time of year. thank you for the quick replies and advice.

#44 9 years ago

i have an old vcr i have been using to practice my soldering skills, butt i would be more comfortable working after i acquire better tools. just using a 25 watt pencil and desoldering braid...

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from Lysurgeon:

i actually host the tourneys at the local arcade here and am also captain of the arcades pinball team, the specials when lit! i have a few people around i can ask for help, butt most are really busy this time of year. thank you for the quick replies and advice.

Maybe buy a new rectifier board, bring the transformer and old board to the next meet up and have one of the guys solder in the new board for you.

DON'T remove the old board from the transformer, your tech will probably want to move one wire at a time to the new one.

Pay attention to how he works with the iron.

Give him the old board and a beer as a 'thank you' for saving your butt.

#46 9 years ago

you have any recommendations on a replacement board? ive heard a few people say to stay away from rottendog. got the old boards and beer on standby!

#47 9 years ago

Rottendog stuff is great.

Sure, anything that comes out v1.0 might have some oddball problem (like it works in Williams, but needs a ground mod for Dataeast), and guys love to cry about problems they had 4 years ago.

As a tech, I like seeing Rottendog stuff installed because they use "thru-hole" components, easy to work on in the field.

#48 9 years ago

Just do some comparison before buying.
All of the replacement rectifier boards use thru-hole components.
Some of the boards provide more with their boards -- set of plugs, contacts, keys, standoffs, ties, etc.
Some of the boards provide safety components such as fuse covers (think electrocution and liability).
Some of the boards provide heat sinks on all three bridge rectifiers rather than just one or two.
Some of the boards have traces that are safely sized trace widths and thickness that conform to military standards (MIL-STD-275) -- think fire and liability.
Some of the boards have all high current traces making connection to connector pins on solder side of board (lots of original boards failed due to high current traces only on top of board).
Some of the boards use resistors that don't get quite as hot as the originals.
Some of the boards only use high quality tin-plated beryllium copper fuse clips.
Some of the boards include silkscreen marking on both top and bottom of board for "E" holes.
Some of the boards include redundant holes for E9 and E10 in addition to the standard E7 and E8.
Some of the boards are cheaper - but based on above, you get much less board for a little less money.

... and the one I don't like but have to mention:
Some of the boards are actually in stock more often.

#49 9 years ago
Quoted from G-P-E:

Just do some comparison before buying.
All of the replacement rectifier boards use thru-hole components.
Some of the boards provide more with their boards -- set of plugs, contacts, keys, standoffs, ties, etc.
Some of the boards provide safety components such as fuse covers (think electrocution and liability).
Some of the boards provide heat sinks on all three bridge rectifiers rather than just one or two.
Some of the boards have traces that are safely sized trace widths and thickness that conform to military standards (MIL-STD-275) -- think fire and liability.
Some of the boards have all high current traces making connection to connector pins on solder side of board (lots of original boards failed due to high current traces only on top of board).
Some of the boards use resistors that don't get quite as hot as the originals.
Some of the boards only use high quality tin-plated beryllium copper fuse clips.
Some of the boards include silkscreen marking on both top and bottom of board for "E" holes.
Some of the boards include redundant holes for E9 and E10 in addition to the standard E7 and E8.
Some of the boards are cheaper - but based on above, you get much less board for a little less money.
... and the one I don't like but have to mention:
Some of the boards are actually in stock more often.

i was checking some different ones out. i like the fact some come with the extra parts to rebuild my female connectors. GPE? do you guys have any in stock?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 169.00
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.00
Apparel - Men
Slipstream Mod Shop

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 3.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 69.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rectifier-board-for-stern-meteor-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.