Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

J1_(resized).jpg
J2_(resized).jpg
J3_(resized).jpg
a8ce42aba7d6352e8febf30952419cb0ca022d78_(resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

My Bally KISS machine has 2 wires soldered to test points on the rectifier board. I would like to put them in the correct spots in the connectors. Not sure where they go, schematics are unclear to me. I have a large solid orange wire and a smaller orange wire w/blue spots in question. Machine works fine, just want to make right again. Thanks for any help.

#2 7 years ago

Sold orange is probably your pin #8 on J3 - this pin is always burned black (both male pin and female contact will need to be replaced).

#3 7 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-quick-bally-driver-board-repair-bulletproofing/page/2#post-2113931

a8ce42aba7d6352e8febf30952419cb0ca022d78_(resized).jpga8ce42aba7d6352e8febf30952419cb0ca022d78_(resized).jpg

(Your board is slightly different, but you get the idea.....)

#4 7 years ago

Thanks Vid. The connector housings have been replaced already. I will repin the large orange wire and try that spot. Swap the header pins too. Still wonder where the small orange wire w/blue goes ?? The schematic doesn't show that wire. Not that I can tell anway.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from pinkid:

Still wonder where the small orange wire w/blue goes ?? The schematic doesn't show that wire. Not that I can tell anway.

What test point was it soldered to?

#6 7 years ago

The smaller orange/blue wire is on test point 3 and the big orange one in on test point 4.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from pinkid:

The smaller orange/blue wire is on test point 3

So that's actually the 12vdc that goes to pin 8 on J3.

Quoted from pinkid:

the big orange one in on test point 4

That's the GI voltage 7vac

Do you have any open slots on J3 (like maybe pin 10)?

#8 7 years ago

Open slots in connector are 7(key),8, and 13.......

#9 7 years ago

How about open on J1 #5 ?

#10 7 years ago

There is a large brown wire in J1 #5.

#11 7 years ago

I would be inclined to leave things alone unless you replace the entire board with a new replacement and fix all the burnt pin problems in one go.

It's likely someone put the wires in those spots in the first place because of burnt or damaged tracks/connectors not just for the fun of it.

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from pinkid:

There is a large brown wire in J1 #5.

interesting.

Can you take a picture of the J1 and J2 colors and open slots.

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

I would be inclined to leave things alone unless you replace the entire board with a new replacement and fix all the burnt pin problems in one go.

He says he swapped the header pins, so we should be starting with a clean slate there.

I guess he could plug in the game and see if the GI was missing on the backbox, playfield or coindoor.....

#14 7 years ago

I haven't done anything yet. I will leave it alone until I know for sure. It is an original board, the 49 variety I think. I do have a Rottendog replacement I picked up years ago just for this purpose. Curious where the wires go. Maybe someone w/a KISS machine will chime in. This jumper mod has been like this since I got the game in '97. Just wanting to tidy up and put things back factory.

#15 7 years ago

Haven't replaced the header pins yet. The molex housing has been replaced as well as the crimp on pins on the wires. Will work on the pics. Not sure how to do it yet.

#16 7 years ago

Here are the KISS connectors from the factory.

J3_(resized).jpgJ3_(resized).jpg

#17 7 years ago

J2_(resized).jpgJ2_(resized).jpg

#18 7 years ago

I've seen the colors on pins 7 & 8 reversed from the schematics on this one a bunch of times.

J1_(resized).jpgJ1_(resized).jpg

#19 7 years ago

Thanks Vid. The orange wire w/purple traces actually goes to the MPU lower left connector. I think it goes to an outlane special light. No idea why it's soldered to the rectifier board. The rectifier board is a little toasty, but is working for now. In time, I will replace the rectifier board. I do appreciate all the feedback and help everyone. Sorry I'm an old timer who doesn't know how to post pics.

#20 7 years ago

Upon further investigation, the small wire is actually solid orange. Someone used the wire w/traces to lengthen it so it could reach the test point. I knew something was fishy and so did you guys. Thanks again everyone. I will report back when done.

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from pinkid:

Upon further investigation, the small wire is actually solid orange. Someone used the wire w/traces to lengthen it so it could reach the test point. I knew something was fishy and so did you guys. Thanks again everyone. I will report back when done.

Scrape off the blue paint the last few inches so it makes sense.

Don't rebuild the female contacts, only to scratch them up on your old, corroded male pins.

Do everything at once.

#22 7 years ago

Good advice Vid. At least I know where the wires go now. Hoping the new board won't be too hard to install. Watched a guy once and he said it was a bitch. It's a Rottendog replacement. Seems like I read somewhere it needs jumpers of some sort to work w/the 49 board based games. KISS and Future Spa maybe ?? Will be a project for later when I have more time. Thanks again Vid for all the good info and advice. The pics alone of the connectors helped alot.

#23 7 years ago

Update! Spend this afternoon replacing the rectifier board. Was tough to do but I got it done. Got all wires pinned and in their correct spots. Replaced missing key plugs. Fixed 3 wiring issues. The machine is up and running. Time consuming but well worth it. Piece of mind knowing it's finally right. I have made progress in my repairs/soldering skills. Went from knowing nothing to general pin repairs, repairing displays, lamp driver boards,and now a rectifier board. All with the help of this site. Thanks everyone and especially Vid.

#24 7 years ago

Well done Kid. That's the way to do it. Just dig in and try and when you need help there are a bunch of people here that are always willing to to show you how. That's how I learned.

"Great people on this board.

Bob

#25 7 years ago

Thanks Oldschool. Rewarding feeling to fix something yourself. And when you throw the switch and it doesn't blow up doesn't suck either.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.98
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 22.50
6,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 29.00
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rectifier-board-connections-for-bally-kiss and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.