Paragon_Snda.jpg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
IMG_2122 (resized).JPG
IMG_2118 (resized).JPG
leds_pkg_b.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zacaj.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 7 years ago

Why would you put your meter on an ac Lug and a DC Lug? To measure the DC out you should be putting your leads on the + and - sides of the rectifier

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from StratDoc:

I was texting the resistance of the rectifier. I thought to do that you put the black on positive and red on AC and look for a reading of 500-600.

You mean using diode test? In that case you should get a reading black AC->red positive and black negative to red AC, and no reading if you reverse the leads, but that's when the rectifier is out of the circuit. Which voltage is the center rectifier? Is it a repro or an original bally board? The rectifier for the 5.4V and the 43V have a resistor across them, but the one for 11.9V doesn't, so there's a chance they'd get different readings.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from StratDoc:

I also do not get voltage ratings at E wire connectors on the board

What about at E5+6? They're what provide the 230V at TP2

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

OK. Then we know you have household current in. TP2 should be around 230VDC or so and if the lights are on in the coin door you should see 6-8 vac at TP4.

Note TP4 has to be measured in AC with the other lead on E8

That's pretty low, what do lugs 8+10 of the transformer measure (AC)? What about E5+6?

#35 7 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

That's better! TP1 gets rectified to DC through the 4 diodes on the side of the board.

I thought the diodes were for the HV (TP2)?

#46 7 years ago
Quoted from StratDoc:

You aren't he greatest!
Okay, all looks good except F4 blows as soon as I plug into J2 on the solenoid driver board. I have a 5 amp circuit breaker thank goodness so I do not go through fuses. I have rebuilt the board with a high and low voltage kits from BigDaddy Enterprises.

Unplug your displays just in case

#86 7 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

To clarify, these voltages you're measuring at the MPU board are DC. You keep mentioning AC

Unless they are getting AC, in which case there's a problem...

Further troubleshooting the LED not even turning on:
1. One side of R29 should have 11+VDC. That powers the LED
2. the other side or R29 should have continuity to the LED
3. You should be able to test the LED with your diode test: black lead on the side attached to R29, red lead on the other side should show no continuity, swapped leads should get some voltage drop (and the LED might even light dimly)
4. R25 carries the signal from the PIA to the Q2 transistor to control the LED. With U11 removed, you should get 5VDC on one side of R107 (and a bit less on the other side). This 5V should then flow through R25 to Q2.
5. If there's near 5V where R25 connects to Q2, and there's 11VDC where R29 connects to the LED, then the LED should be on, unless you've got a problem with Q2.
6. I'd test every component in the circuit against the schematics, and the continuity between them to be certain

#93 7 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Slight typo above, R25 should read R28

Oops! Darn PDF scans...

Quoted from Quench:

This indicates a problem with the LED

Curious- why with the led?

<1V seems low to turn on Q2 to me

Quoted from StratDoc:Less than 1 volt at q2 on all legs.

At least one of these legs should be connected directly to ground. When you say <1V, do you mean 0.8V, or something like that? One of the legs should read <0.05V

#104 7 years ago

Before installing the new socket, I'd make a note of where all the traces under it are going. After its installed, check the continuity of all of them, you may need to jumper a few...

1 week later
#140 7 years ago

Try unplugging the sound board and checking the voltages on the connector as a first step.

Pin 6/14 = ground
pin 5 = 5V
pi 9 = ~43V

pins 1,2,3,4,8 should all be 0-5V

3 weeks later
#198 7 years ago
Quoted from StratDoc:

Quench,
Making progress but have hit another impasse. So in attract mode most of the lights now flash and sequence, but I still cannot get some lights to come on regardless of wether I connect to TP3 and touch leg G or ground and touch leg A of the corresponding transistor. I have replaced U1-U4 chips - this is why most of the lights now sequence and flash properly. Other things I should check? All sockets are good. I can ground a wire and touch the socket and get all non-working lights to work.

Check for cold solder joints where the light connectors are attached to the board. Could also be a bad pin in the connector

3 weeks later
#203 7 years ago

Are you sure they're supposed to? Not all lamps do

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MO
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

3,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mountainside, NJ
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Munster, IN

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zacaj.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rectifier-bally-paragon?tu=zacaj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.