42929 (resized).jpeg
20170906_210541 (resized).jpg
20170906_210513 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20170830-235728 (resized).png
received_10155719961612994 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3350 (resized).JPG
20170826_150925 (resized).jpg
20170826_150913 (resized).jpg

There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 years ago

I've been wanting a Booz Barometer for one of my locations and all of the ones I was finding were running on a Nickel. I know there are quarter ones out there but I wasn't having luck finding them. There were other reasons I wasn't happy with the original design. The original one opened from the back and sits on a table. I wanted to be able to mount it to a wall. Also, when it was not being used, the lights would turn off and I was afraid people would think that it was turned off/not working. I borrowed an original from a friend and have been using it for measuring.

1054151362 (resized).jpg1054151362 (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

The first hurdle was to make the bent rod because that was going to be the make it or break it problem. I got some help from my metal working friends to get it this far. We made many different segments and welded them together. I just now noticed the original bent rod is a little more straight, so that must mean the one I was using has been bent by someone along its life so I will have to fix that up a bit.

output (resized).jpgoutput (resized).jpg

40921 (resized).jpeg40921 (resized).jpeg

#3 6 years ago

This weekend, I built the box. It now swings open on the front and lowers down. This will allow me to mount to a wall. I still have not figured out how I am going to do the lock yet.

I was also lucky to find an original handle in great condition on Ebay.

20170826_150919 (resized).jpg20170826_150919 (resized).jpg

20170826_150913 (resized).jpg20170826_150913 (resized).jpg

20170826_150925 (resized).jpg20170826_150925 (resized).jpg

#4 6 years ago

sweet! One of the few bars games I have wanted to find!

Build 5 of them and sell 4! Ill take 1.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

sweet! One of the few bars games I have wanted to find!

I might look into it when I get his one done, but it will likely be more expensive than you can find an original for. The big draw to me to create my own was the customizations I was needing for it to be a route game.

#6 6 years ago

I plan on having it run on a Raspberry Pi. It will need a switch that for the coin mech to start the game. Once the game is running, it will run the voltage through the handle. I also plan on music to come out of it during game play for the player to know a game is actually going. If someone drops a quarter in and leaves it alone, I don't want it to play continuously so I will have it on a countdown timer programmed into the Pi, something like 2 mins. I will have a buzzer indicating that you lost when you touch the rod. I am also contemplating having a last switch at the very end of the rod indicating you won. It might play another jingle when you win.

#7 6 years ago

Gosh, I trashed these by the hundreds in the early seventies...Staten Island Landfill!

Lots of fun, I have only the table top Novelty ones, which are still a blast!

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Gosh, I trashed these by the hundreds in the early seventies...Staten Island Landfill!
Lots of fun, I have only the table top Novelty ones, which are still a blast!

Man, I haven't seen one sell for less than $150 in the years that I've been searching for one. Hindsight right?

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from futurepinhead:

I might look into it when I get his one done, but it will likely be more expensive than you can find an original for. The big draw to me to create my own was the customizations I was needing for it to be a route game.

I would route mine also. I have the perfect spot to put one of these!

#10 6 years ago

I plan on having it run on a Raspberry Pi. It will need a switch that for the coin mech to start the game. Once the game is running, it will run the voltage through the handle. I also plan on music to come out of it during game play for the player to know a game is actually going. If someone drops a quarter in and leaves it alone, I don't want it to play continuously so I will have it on a countdown timer programmed into the Pi, something like 2 mins. I will have a buzzer indicating that you lost when you touch the rod. I am also contemplating having a last switch at the very end of the rod indicating you won. It might play another jingle when you win.

sounds great and like a very fun project!

#11 6 years ago

Logan Arcade has one of these out on the bar. The handle wire will fray and short at the base from use after a while. Be sure to reinforce that with your build. Picked up some very durable cable from a neon light repair shop that held up superbly.

#12 6 years ago

You guys really think there is a market?

It was one of 3 games I was considering production on, before I did LEDs.

What would work best....

Antique, Retro, LCD Screen Modern?, Multi themes?

Ive been collecting these since I was 9!!

Found one in the trash.

#13 6 years ago

I had one for a couple years and it was a lot of fun, more challenging than you would expect! I think a modern version would be really cool. Incorporating an LCD screen opens up worlds of possibilities.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

You guys really think there is a market?
It was one of 3 games I was considering production on, before I did LEDs.
What would work best....
Antique, Retro, LCD Screen Modern?, Multi themes?
Ive been collecting these since I was 9!!
Found one in the trash.

100% Anything for a quarter at the bar is great. Very simple to make I assume. I would put the money into some decent coding to have a few different games and make it multiplayer. Seems with a simple LCD screen you could have all the instruction you need.

Aside from that, sell me one of your older ones I will put it at a bar and give you the numbers so you know if it is marketable.

People like stuff like this and even more so if it does not take up much room and can play in a group.

#15 6 years ago

LCD screen is definitely planned at some point. I want to have a timed feature so it can have a High Score type screen. I probably would not incorporate initials on the high score, just the time.

There is definitely a market for these. I prefer physical type games so this is right up my alley.

I wanted to start off with a very simple design, hence this game, so I can learn how to code in Pi. I plan to make EM type games after I have a better grasp on coding.

#16 6 years ago

I sold all the coin op ones I had.....4 of them, $150 each about 3 years ago.

I have only "toy" versions. Not what you need.

I reached out to a Cabinet maker local, 4 years ago, and did a bunch of leg work... No LCD then, but no issue now.

Maybe I can find some of my old stuff still. Cleaning up my life and moving out of office.

Feeling better, not sure if I want to go back to work though.....

Maybe Op wants to Mass produce??

#17 6 years ago

I want one!

#18 6 years ago

I always wanted an original just for my own collection but a fresh updated version for route operation in my bar accounts would be awesome!Please include me on any future build plans,I would gladly pitch in or purchase finished ones!

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I will put it at a bar and give you the numbers so you know if it is marketable.

I can assure you that it does very well at a bar in a big city with a hipster neighborhood demo.

#20 6 years ago

I'm curious about the licensing possibilities not only with northwestern(The original manufacturer which I understand recently changed ownership) and future ones.I could see a "coors light" or multiple other beer brand art packages on new production ones that would be great.

#21 6 years ago

I think I need one but cha-ching. Decent ones go about $300.

Looks like punt return is the same thing.

IMG_3350 (resized).JPGIMG_3350 (resized).JPG

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

Decent ones go about $300.

where? Ill pay that for a decent one.

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from Brian541:

I'm curious about the licensing possibilities not only with northwestern(The original manufacturer which I understand recently changed ownership) and future ones.I could see a "coors light" or multiple other beer brand art packages on new production ones that would be great.

I don't think many breweries would want their products associated with a drinking game any longer. This ain't 1950. For home use, sure. The Punt Return or something similar would work for location play.

#24 6 years ago

I just googled it and several auction sites popped up with sold listings. looks like a market for these.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I'd take 1 too!

#26 6 years ago

I have mine mounted on e the wall and it works great, I just cut a piece of 1/2" plywood and mounted it to the wall and it screws right to that. Mine didn't have the original base. Works great and everyone has to try and beat it after we've been drinking

#27 6 years ago

I noticed many different games used the same bent rod. Here's a love tester I saw.

received_10155719961612994 (resized).jpegreceived_10155719961612994 (resized).jpeg

#28 6 years ago

I saw this thread and thought it was a,pretty neat idea to make one!

I tried, but only got as far as the booze and took a nap......it's called R and D

Really though, neat idea! Always wanted one of those too.

#29 6 years ago

Started the coding tonight. I had a friend helping me which was great since this is my first go around. So far, we've got it so it woll credit, once credited it will start the game and it won't end until you mess up and hit the bar. I didn't have a buzzer so I swapped that with an LED temporarily. Works great so far.

Screenshot_20170830-235728 (resized).pngScreenshot_20170830-235728 (resized).png

#30 6 years ago

As it sits now, it is identical to the original gameplay. But we are trying to think of a way to have a switch for it to recognize that it's in the start position, a switch to recognize it's in the finished position, add music, add a timer, and I'm thinking of adding a blinking LED behind the lamp post on the lower right artwork (poor man's attract mode)

#31 6 years ago

Since the game originally came out in the 50s, I am thinking about playing 5 or 6 different songs at random from the 50s. I'm leaning more toward instrumental only, but I'm not opposed to singing. This is just for me and testing right now so I am not worried about any licensing issues. Any suggestions?

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from Thrillhouse:

Tequila by The Champs

Nice one. Definitely on the list.

#35 6 years ago

Anything Dick Dale is awesome and may fit the theme, Lets Go Trippin is a personal fav

#36 6 years ago

Dead Mans Curve, by Jan and Dean would be cool.

#37 6 years ago

Cool! This is something I was thinking of making after my next project. Now I can just sit back and relax.

Happy to help, if I can.

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

I think I need one but cha-ching. Decent ones go about $300.
Looks like punt return is the same thing.

$650 for the one you have pictured!
ebay.com link: Punt Return Football Arcade Trade Stimulator Nickel Machine Like Booz Barometer

#39 6 years ago

I have an Alky Meter I would sell. I am in Illinois. I'll get a pic this weekend

#40 6 years ago

Since the game originally came out in the 50s, I am thinking about playing 5 or 6 different songs at random from the 50s. I'm leaning more toward instrumental only, but I'm not opposed to singing. This is just for me and testing right now so I am not worried about any licensing issues. Any suggestions?

I was going to say The Beatles Twist & Shout, but I believe that was around 63...

How about Chubby Checker's version of The Twist! (Late 50s ... like 58 or 59 I think).

#41 6 years ago

Thanks for the list of songs. I'll get them and add them to the next phase of coding. Right now, I am going to figure up a way to mount the Pi in the metal case and worry about getting the artwork.

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

$650 for the one you have pictured!
ebay.com link » Punt Return Football Arcade Trade Stimulator Nickel Machine Like Booz Barometer

I didn't mean same thing as in price. I just meant looks like the exact same machine with a different theme/decals. $650 is WAY to steep for me but if one fell in my lap for $200 I would be all over it.

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

I didn't mean same thing as in price. I just meant looks like the exact same machine with a different theme/decals. $650 is WAY to steep for me but if one fell in my lap for $200 I would be all over it.

I wasn't stating that at all! I just happened to be on eBay and noticed the one I was looking at was the one you had pictured so I provided the link! Yeah $650 is way steep!

There is a Booze one on eBay in so so shape but the seller is asking 350 for it, he came down to 300 but not sure it's worth the $300 in the state it's currently in!

#44 6 years ago

I tried completing the code by myself, it didn't go great, so I am having my friend come back out and give me another lesson.

#45 6 years ago

The second night of my friend helping to code went very well. Now we have the game where it won't do anything until it is credited. Once credited, it doesn't do anything until the handle is returned to inital starting point (no cheaters). Then once the start has been activated the game will start and you'll either win, or lose, or time out. The original had no way to determine if you won, but mine will have a switch at the far end as well.

I did the first couple coats of paint. Now, I didn't have an original to copy paint from so I had to go off of what the store had and compare it to online photos. I know its not perfect but I like it. The original, to me, seems a little more maroon whereas mine will be a little more burgandy, but it's going to look great. Here's what the first round looks like.

Also, here is a video of the coding prototype.

20170906_210513 (resized).jpg20170906_210513 (resized).jpg

20170906_210541 (resized).jpg20170906_210541 (resized).jpg

#46 6 years ago

Put Link Wray - Rumble on it. Cool idea, man!

#47 6 years ago

The second night of my friend helping to code went very well. Now we have the game where it won't do anything until it is credited. Once credited, it doesn't do anything until the handle is returned to inital starting point (no cheaters). Then once the start has been activated the game will start and you'll either win, or lose, or time out. The original had no way to determine if you won, but mine will have a switch at the far end as well.
I did the first couple coats of paint. Now, I didn't have an original to copy paint from so I had to go off of what the store had and compare it to online photos. I know its not perfect but I like it. The original, to me, seems a little more maroon whereas mine will be a little more burgandy, but it's going to look great. Here's what the first round looks like.
Also, here is a video of the coding prototype.
» YouTube video

Very nice.

#48 6 years ago

looking good!

#49 6 years ago

Looking at the stock photos and the color I chose, I think the reds may be too similar. I'm supposed to be getting the art files this weekend and I'll be sending them to my designated art guy. Once I have the art next to it, I'll make a decision. I might have to go darker with the cabinet to separate the colors more.

#50 6 years ago

Art preview my friend did for me, scanned from an original. Also I have the hinge and locks installed.

42929 (resized).jpeg42929 (resized).jpeg

20170910_010256 (resized).jpg20170910_010256 (resized).jpg

20170910_010330 (resized).jpg20170910_010330 (resized).jpg

There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/recreating-a-booz-barometer?hl=brian541 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.