Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by kmoore88
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Sgt_Pepper_Film.jpg

#1 7 years ago

If Stern came out with the "exact" layout and rules as MM but it was a different theme would you buy it and in your opinion would it be as popular as the original?

Like instead of a castle it was a prison gate or something? Replace the Joust with a street race etc.

I know some people will say AFM is the same game, but I am talking exactly the same rules except its not MM to avoid licensing issues.

#2 7 years ago

It's the whole package which makes it desirable. Not just the layout.

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from Capper96:

I know some people will say AFM is the same game

Yep. I'd be one of them.

Quoted from SealClubber:

It's the whole package which makes it desirable. Not just the layout.

+100

#4 7 years ago

Considering how many of the high end collectors already have an MM (over 4k were made) I doubt many of them would want a rethemed rules and playfield. How many people own both Shrek and FGY? Maybe a couple...but even that would surprise me.

No one who has an MM would buy the retheme'd game and most of the people that own MM's are the ones that are Stern's target market for their rare LE games. The retheme would not sell well.

#5 7 years ago

IMO, it'd be like asking if another band could do cover songs for The Beatles, would you buy the CD?

#6 7 years ago

The theme is VERY much what makes MM as great as it is. Nothing really unique about the layout (which can be said for most pins).

#7 7 years ago

I'm be the first to say, "it depends on the new theme".

#8 7 years ago

Aren't the rules also part of what's protected?

#9 7 years ago

The toys Castle, (drawbridge, gate, explosion), Trolls, and catapult merged with the theme make it a great game. Plus the humor and voice acting are pluses.

Layout = Fan, 75% of all games have this. AFM, MB, LOTR, IM, so I guess it has already been re-themed if you think about it.

#10 7 years ago

IMO, it'd be like asking if another band could do cover songs for The Beatles, would you buy the CD?

Sadly, 2,000,000 people did.

Sgt_Pepper_Film.jpg

#11 7 years ago

Pretty sure Stern already copied MM. It's called LOTR

I know, I know, "they're nothing alike"... but look closely.

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

The theme is VERY much what makes MM as great as it is. Nothing really unique about the layout (which can be said for most pins).

Yup. Dragons, knights, and castle theme with well done humor combined with great toys and gameplay make it one of a kind.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside