9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by vid1900
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swampfire.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

Can we please consider resurrecting BallsOfSteel.net for games made more than 25 years ago?

For those new to the hobby, this is how it used to work. People fortunate enough to have good plastics for old games scanned them, cleaned them up in Photoshop, and uploaded them to BallsOfSteel.net. People who were missing decals or plastics could use these while they were waiting for high quality reproductions (which were slim to none, until CPR came on the scene). I'll also give a shout out to Jeff McAfee (Classic Arcades), who used to do great work. Ah, the good old days...

If I recall correctly, most of the scans on BallsOfSteel were for pre-DMD games that had no chance of being reproduced. I uploaded scans for Space Station and Blackout. I was young and anxious to start giving back to this hobby that made me feel ALIVE again (anyone who's gotten married, moved to the suburbs and had kids knows what I mean).

Now I know that some people get anxious about IPR. I am not a communist. What I'd say is, let us share our scans of pre-1990 artwork, and you can issue a takedown request for those titles when you decide to reproduce them. YOU WILL MAKE MORE MONEY.

Case in point: I downloaded the artwork for the center plastic for Vector, which was destroyed on my game. I was lazy (like 90% of pinheads), so I printed it on plain photographic paper. I sold the game to someone who liked the game better than me. Will that guy buy higher-quality CPR plastics? You bet he will! And I would have bought the plastics if they'd been available in 2004.

We've embraced crowd-sourcing in the software world. Why can't we do the same for these 80's titles that deserve more? QUALITY should be what sells reproductions, and I know Kevin and Stuart well enough to know that they can do MUCH better than guys like me. If you've bought repro plastics from them, you know that they are worth the price (and more).

In the meantime, the unpopular and rare titles languish. In my collection, it's Hot Shots, Trident, Time Fantasy and Andromeda. These will NEVER be reproduced. Keep this stuff off the black market and let us share. You'll benefit because anyone who cares enough to scan these titles will do a great job.

BTW, Kevin, Stuart and Rick: you guys are the best. Thank you for making my Fathom, Whirlwind, CSI and Black Knight games that I can be really proud of (after hundreds of hours).

#4 9 years ago

I should drink more! I love everyone right now. Good music, great pins to play, and 7 days off ahead of me. Seven pinball working days.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 169.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 69.00
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 129.99
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swampfire.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/reconsidering-ballsofsteelnet?tu=swampfire and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.