Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by WMSpin
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

051720AA-2284-4A0D-B2E6-3EFF90867C38 (resized).jpeg
    #1 5 years ago

We've seen game rooms really add to the appeal for higher-end rental guests. We're adding a foosball table to our rental (already has a pool table).

But... Ive been thinking a pinball machine would be a very cool addition AND be somewhat of a differentiator (most places have a pool table, ping pong and/or foos).

Thoughts on a good, broad-based title?

Anyone else have pins in their vacation rental?

#2 5 years ago

Where is the rental location. i.e. if it's in Myrtle Beach then your avatar, NGG is a good choice. If for kids, the new Deadpool Stern pro. Broad based, MMR or upcoming MBR.

#3 5 years ago

Are you looking for new or used and what era? for a rental something fairly new would be best maybe as less issues and maintenance. the new Deadpool or GOTG would appeal to the kids big and small. Maybe even a music pin like AC/DC or Aerosmith. If I was doing something from the 90's I would say Fish Tales is a fun game for the family setting that a rental would be. Just my 2 cents.

#4 5 years ago

Fishing vacation rental, yeah Fish Tales or WhiteWater.

#5 5 years ago

Hmmmm, not sure there's a "slam dunk" theme for the location: It's a mountain log home, so, lots of traffic in Summer (escaping Florida heat) and Winter (skiers).

#6 5 years ago

Wipeout!

#7 5 years ago

Anything Pirate is a hit at the beach if that’s where the vacation rental is.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

Hmmmm, not sure there's a "slam dunk" theme for the location: It's a mountain log home, so, lots of traffic in Summer (escaping Florida heat) and Winter (skiers).

Just saw this... mountain home = big buck hunter!

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from Psw757:

Just saw this... mountain home = big buck hunter!

Yeah and that should be reliable. Good game.

#10 5 years ago

WhiteWater.

#11 5 years ago

Whitewater! If I find another good example of this game- it wont leave my basement ever again!

But thats a great theme-suggestion!

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yeah and that should be reliable. Good game.

Can even pair it up with the big buck hunter arcade!

#13 5 years ago

I have a Family Fun cocktail, a 60-1 video game, and a pool table at my house in Blue Ridge, GA. Not sure they get a lot of use, but I like having them when it's raining.

Don't put anything really nice in your house - no way would I put a new or classic machine in a rental. Even high-end rentals take a lot of abuse.

It's amazing how stupid and or inconsiderate people are:
    Let's use the new cookware in the fire place
    Lets rewire all the audio/tv equipment
    Lets put bubble bath in the hot tub
    Let's give the kid a sharpie and let him run around the house
    Let's flush towels down the toilet
    Let's steal the LED light bulbs
    Let's cut down that tree, its blocking the view of the house next door
    I could go on and on

I have a great management company, so I don't deal with much of these directly, but it annoys me when I have to replace something because someone was stupid.

You need to also consider how often or quickly you get to the house. If something breaks on your machine, people will keep trying to play it and may damage it more in the process.

We use the house about 1 weekend a month and major holidays and rent it out the rest of the time. The goal was to help defer some costs, but it now pays for itself.

#14 5 years ago

Ive had TZ, STLE, TAF, METLE and TRON in my vacation rental at various times. I also have a BBH Arcade. My recommendation? Don’t do it. There were CONSTANT problems. It was such a pain in the ass. One little thing goes wrong and it needs a fix, and the guests can’t fix them. Pin sits unused.

I would highly recommend a good quality MAME or similar and a BBH Arcade or Golden Tee. Way more dependable and people LOVE them. It also helps that even something like a Game Gate is only 1/3 of what most of the pins you are talking about.

#15 5 years ago

White Water or Indiana Jones. Or maybe a four player arcade like TMNT? Just playing together all at once could provide lots of great memories. Just my opinion.

#16 5 years ago

Afm or mm, maybe mb. Those are nice neutral titles. Pac man and centipede together make a nice classic arcade option possibly in addition to the pins.

And as much as I hate to say it, put the newest Xbox in for kids. They may wreck it or steal it, but parents will appreciate alone time when it’s rainy out. Could always screw it down if theft is a concern. Just tack on 10 bucks a night and throw the money in a kitty for when it goes missing.

#17 5 years ago

I love vacations as much as your idea of having a machine in rental house.
    Personally I would like a 60 in 1 arcade and being a wilderness getaway I think Big Buck Hunter pinball would be cool.
    -Mike

#18 5 years ago

Wh20 1st choice and 2nd Frontier perfect for a manly mans cabin

051720AA-2284-4A0D-B2E6-3EFF90867C38 (resized).jpeg051720AA-2284-4A0D-B2E6-3EFF90867C38 (resized).jpeg
    #19 5 years ago

Yes.... my initial excitement of this idea has cooled

I'm not starting to lean towards the idea of a arcade machine.... less floor space and less headaches i suspect.

Plus... that gives me enough space to add the shuffle puck game I've always wanted as well

I have a "home brewed" MAME arcade machine now- but I think its too finicky for a rental- probably need to think about a commercial machine (or a single machine like BGH)>

Thanks for the great feedback!

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from Phat_Jay:

Afm or mm, maybe mb. Those are nice neutral titles. Pac man and centipede together make a nice classic arcade option possibly in addition to the pins.
    And as much as I hate to say it, put the newest Xbox in for kids. They may wreck it or steal it, but parents will appreciate alone time when it’s rainy out. Could always screw it down if theft is a concern. Just tack on 10 bucks a night and throw the money in a kitty for when it goes missing.

xbox is already there- and yes- thats a MUST HAVE in these places. With 5 bedrooms- you can usually count on a gaggle of kids- and they need a game machine for bad weather (or to keep them occupied while parents are out drinking on the deck!)

#21 5 years ago

I'd seriously only choose 2 pins: TSPP or Spider-man.

Whitestars are pretty reliable in my experience.

#22 5 years ago

Only issue I see in a short term rental is keeping it up and running is going to be huge. You don’t want 2 star rating because “the pinball machine wasn’t working” the extras are cool, but there is quite a maintenance difference compared to a pool table. Broken or worn items make people feel things are bad overall. That being said a new pin is the only way to go. I think in a nice vacation rental everything is expected to be in tip top shape. Older worn game will not be received well unless they are pinheads IMO

I have short term rental property as well, however no experience in have a pin in one.

#23 5 years ago

All good points:

Yes, I guess I wasn't worried so much about the maintenance issue- being that pins are MADE to be in commercial settings. We have a management company that maintains the property and - while I wouldn't expect them to serve a pin- Id be able to keep tabs on the condition. We're usually there once/month ourselves.

But- then again- I've never had a machine on location- only in a home game room.

#24 5 years ago

I did a short term rental that came with a free private arcade: my basement. Only about half of the 10 games (mix of pins and vids) were working at any time (because that's where broken stuff goes to get fixed). I'd say about 30-40% of the bookings were driven by the arcade alone.

It was in my basement so going to fix something wasn't a concern...however, in years of doing this I never once was called to fix something. There were probably a few issues, but I would address them after guests left. I never got bad reviews for games not working, though occasionally a guest expressed disappointed that a certain game that was there wasn't working.

(Also, this was a small rental, only one or two guests at a time. No kids ever).

Also, I operate games on location, and most games will go many hundreds, if not thousands of plays without issues. If you're there once a month, you can fix stuff. I don't think it matters what game you choose...just pick something reliable.

All of that said, it's possible that video games would be an even bigger draw than pinball...but I haven't A/B tested that.

#25 5 years ago

I think an inexpensive pin and a 60-1 arcade would be great for a rental house. We are renting a house in the outer banks and I wish it had a pin!

#26 5 years ago

Here's my take on it - Get a family friendly game without breaking the bank - Ones that come to mind are RCT and Monopoly. Something older like Pinbot, Comet, or High Speed should be reliable as well. Make sure the flippers are good, put on silicone flipper rubbers/slings and you really shouldn't have a problem. NBA Fastbreak is a sleeper also.

MV

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/recommended-pin-for-vcation-rental?hl=atrain and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.