image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
Blue_Leg_Light-Ups_on__Stern_Star_Trek_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pin_guy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from GPS:

Hi Guys
In process of acquiring an STTNG and wondered what the recommended mods might be for the game. TNT talks about a "tie back wire" for the drop targets to keep the bird in the upper right if the Backbox from "blowing up".
If there is anyone out there with a list of things to help make the game last please advise. If it already exists if you can just point me in the right direction
Thank you
George

Please take a look through the STTNG thread https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-owners-club there is tons of advice and mods listed there, and please let me be the first to welcome you to the club!

The tieback wire was not the best engineered design but its far from a bomb waiting to go off. What I did on mine was 1) did a professional soldering of the wires to start with (this should be enough) and 2) used heat shrink tubing over the wiring and coil terminal. Truth be told, I did this to nearly all of the coils since I rebuild the wiring harnesses and already had the tubing and a heat gun.

#17 7 years ago

Disassemble, clean, rebuild and inspect ... everything. Game is now flawless

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

I suggest changing all the transmitter optos in the game fore long reliability. No need to change the receiver optos as they rarely fail.

If you do take that much of the machine apart to replace all the emitters, you may as well go ahead and replace all the photometers as well, as these are really inexpensive to replace.

#23 7 years ago

I think I need to tie a red LED to the extra ball insert lighting and have it shine up through the mission hole...anyone done this or have opinions on it? Maybe even a second white one to the start mission light ...

#26 7 years ago

In 8 years of repairing games, I only ever seen 2 actual failures with the receiver optos. For sure though, I would clean the receiver optos.

I don't doubt this as they do have a very low failure rate. My thought on it is this:

1) it will cost less than $10+shipping to buy 25 photometers.
2) they are extremely easy to replace, should take less than 1 minute to remove and replace each one.
3) it will take you the better part of the day to take enough of the machine apart to replace the left orbit emitter why not spent the extra minute to replace the photometer while you are there.
4) If you are going to replace one because you have things taken apart to do so, why not just do this for all of them?

This is just my thought process on the matter ... others may feel differently.

#29 7 years ago

Changing all the coil sleeves will weed out weaker coil kickouts.

You should do this for sure!

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/CS1713

You will probably also find when doing this that the parts were greased at the factory ... subway and Borg diverter ... now have hardened grease and this old grease is impeding the diverts ability to operate smoothly. These should be disassembled, cleaned, and have a TINY amount of new synthetic grease applied. https://www.amazon.com/Super-Lube-21030-Synthetic-Grease/dp/B000XBH9HI/ref=sr_1_1

Please ignore anyone that says grease should never be used in a pinball machine ... these are metal-on-metal parts and are an exception to the general rule.

#36 7 years ago
Quoted from GPS:

Am I missing something as I thought there was a software component that also had to be dealt with when making this upgrade if one wanted to have the full effect of the DMD?

Yes and no, the software I think you are referring to runs on the COLOR DMDs controller board; this is a small board that is part of the color DMD and has nothing to do with the machines software. You have to download the game specific software from the ColorDMD website and install it with a USD drive, it's pretty straight forward.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 63.95
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 85.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pin_guy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/recommended-mods-for-sttng?tu=pin_guy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.