image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
Blue_Leg_Light-Ups_on__Stern_Star_Trek_(resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

Hi Guys

In process of acquiring an STTNG and wondered what the recommended mods might be for the game. TNT talks about a "tie back wire" for the drop targets to keep the bird in the upper right if the Backbox from "blowing up".

If there is anyone out there with a list of things to help make the game last please advise. If it already exists if you can just point me in the right direction

Thank you

George

#2 7 years ago

Have me custom paint all the ships, looks way cool !

#3 7 years ago

Cliffys for neutral zone and center scoop. Subwoofer, Undercab, backboard and trough lighting,

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from GPS:

Hi Guys
In process of acquiring an STTNG and wondered what the recommended mods might be for the game. TNT talks about a "tie back wire" for the drop targets to keep the bird in the upper right if the Backbox from "blowing up".
If there is anyone out there with a list of things to help make the game last please advise. If it already exists if you can just point me in the right direction
Thank you
George

Please take a look through the STTNG thread https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-owners-club there is tons of advice and mods listed there, and please let me be the first to welcome you to the club!

The tieback wire was not the best engineered design but its far from a bomb waiting to go off. What I did on mine was 1) did a professional soldering of the wires to start with (this should be enough) and 2) used heat shrink tubing over the wiring and coil terminal. Truth be told, I did this to nearly all of the coils since I rebuild the wiring harnesses and already had the tubing and a heat gun.

#5 7 years ago

We hope to release a mod that should be huge in about a month, and will have 2 more mods coming out in mid October. I think all 3 will have great acceptance, even with those that don't care for mods.

#6 7 years ago

Hi quality GI LEDs are a must. I used Comet Optix Max and 4+1s and it looks 10x better than incandescent bulbs.

#7 7 years ago

I sell my Leg Light-Ups, many different colors. Here's and example. My camera makes them look purple but they are really blue.

Blue_Leg_Light-Ups_on__Stern_Star_Trek_(resized).jpgBlue_Leg_Light-Ups_on__Stern_Star_Trek_(resized).jpg

#9 7 years ago

I'll second Colordmd. Beautiful on this pin. I like the laser cannons too. Might be cheating, but makes cannon shots easier for me.

Don't have this pin yet at home but it's on the short list to buy this year.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from Kronlar:

I like the laser cannons too.

+1 on that as well. My machine has it.

#11 7 years ago

Replaced all the red star posts to purple. Also did all the black posts to purple. The top lanes that were red, I used a purple post with clear tops(no purple tops available for WMS games) and frosted purple LEDs. Used frosted purple LEDs in 3/4 of the playfield plastics and frosted cool white for the slings and return lanes. All LEDs are non ghosting from Pinball life. The shields use incandescents because LEDs can't dim. This game uses a lot of flex LEDs for inserts. Romulan and Klingon toys are Hallmark ornaments modified. Klingon has Zitt's purple wing LEDs too. Bumpers are purple Evo's from Pinball Life with purple caps. Back lit plexi wall and apron are from Germany. Laser cannons, color dmd, plastic protectors, and neutral zone cliffy. Mantis protectors for all ramps and subway's. Extra power supply was needed to run both color dmd and apron. Still need to add space side art.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#12 7 years ago

Alternate translight and shaker from pin bits......in addition to the above.

#13 7 years ago

Wow that's very similar to what I did! The bumper caps, star posts, and rollover lane plastics all look much better purple rather than red, they match the overall game much better.

I also recommend frosted purple around the edges of the GI, and cool white under the slings and inlanes. Cool white works better than warm white on this game because it makes the blue and purple hues of the color scheme look sharper.

The main thing: ColorDMD, LEDOCD, and GIOCD are the top three mods for this game! After that, I would do the following:

- cliffy protectors
- laser cannons
- cut your own third bumper cap. The naked one looks incomplete!
- mirror blades look incredible on this game.
- outlane extenders (really makes only a slight difference, but this game needs them imo)
- replace the ships with Hallmark versions
- translucent rubbers
- pick a cool color for flipper rubbers - I like purple, but you could do blue or red or whatever.
- STTNG PinGulp
- laser etched topper

#14 7 years ago

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

These pictures are a couple years old, I've done a lot of work since then (including replacing that darn broken plastic ) but you get the idea.

#15 7 years ago

Any of you guys have a connection to a new plastic ramp cover for the Delta ramp? I put in a new ramp clear as rain but the original cover is faded and looks hideous. It isn't a mod, but it is an upgrade to a newer looking machine.

#16 7 years ago

Guys

Thanks guys for all the great cosmetic suggestions. How about technical improvements to help bullet proof the game?

Thanks guys

G

#17 7 years ago

Disassemble, clean, rebuild and inspect ... everything. Game is now flawless

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from Litedpinballmods:

We hope to release a mod that should be huge in about a month, and will have 2 more mods coming out in mid October. I think all 3 will have great acceptance, even with those that don't care for mods.

Oh come on you tease, give us something more than that!!

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from GPS:

Guys
Thanks guys for all the great cosmetic suggestions. How about technical improvements to help bullet proof the game?
Thanks guys
G

#1 problem on this game is dirty optos, resulting in lost balls or unexpected multi balls. The very best way to prevent it is to remove and clean the subway. That keeps the optos from getting dirty again quickly.

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from GPS:

How about technical improvements to help bullet proof the game?

I suggest changing all the transmitter optos in the game fore long reliability. No need to change the receiver optos as they rarely fail.

Oh yeah, Install NVRAM.

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from Da_Topper:

Replaced all the red star posts to purple. Also did all the black posts to purple. The top lanes that were red, I used a purple post with clear tops(no purple tops available for WMS games) and frosted purple LEDs. Used frosted purple LEDs in 3/4 of the playfield plastics and frosted cool white for the slings and return lanes. All LEDs are non ghosting from Pinball life. The shields use incandescents because LEDs can't dim. This game uses a lot of flex LEDs for inserts. Romulan and Klingon toys are Hallmark ornaments modified. Klingon has Zitt's purple wing LEDs too. Bumpers are purple Evo's from Pinball Life with purple caps. Back lit plexi wall and apron are from Germany. Laser cannons, color dmd, plastic protectors, and neutral zone cliffy. Mantis protectors for all ramps and subway's. Extra power supply was needed to run both color dmd and apron. Still need to add space side art.

Looks super cool!

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

I suggest changing all the transmitter optos in the game fore long reliability. No need to change the receiver optos as they rarely fail.

If you do take that much of the machine apart to replace all the emitters, you may as well go ahead and replace all the photometers as well, as these are really inexpensive to replace.

#23 7 years ago

I think I need to tie a red LED to the extra ball insert lighting and have it shine up through the mission hole...anyone done this or have opinions on it? Maybe even a second white one to the start mission light ...

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

may as well go ahead and replace all the photometers as well

In 8 years of repairing games, I only ever seen 2 actual failures with the receiver optos. For sure though, I would clean the receiver optos.

#25 7 years ago

The best mod I think is to move to LED lights. Really makes the game look amazing, almost new. The next (imho) mod would be DMD color display... amazing in this game. I've heard a few TNGs with upgraded sound and it is nice. I haven't done mine yet as the williams sound I thought was pretty good out of the box. I do have a sub on my tron though

- LED upgrade
- ColorDMD

Play!

#26 7 years ago

In 8 years of repairing games, I only ever seen 2 actual failures with the receiver optos. For sure though, I would clean the receiver optos.

I don't doubt this as they do have a very low failure rate. My thought on it is this:

1) it will cost less than $10+shipping to buy 25 photometers.
2) they are extremely easy to replace, should take less than 1 minute to remove and replace each one.
3) it will take you the better part of the day to take enough of the machine apart to replace the left orbit emitter why not spent the extra minute to replace the photometer while you are there.
4) If you are going to replace one because you have things taken apart to do so, why not just do this for all of them?

This is just my thought process on the matter ... others may feel differently.

#27 7 years ago

Changing all the coil sleeves will weed out weaker coil kickouts.

#28 7 years ago

Upgrading the speakers in any game is overrated in my opinion. Some games have so much bass that it rattles the glass and makes it to where you can barely hear all the sounds and speech.

#29 7 years ago

Changing all the coil sleeves will weed out weaker coil kickouts.

You should do this for sure!

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/CS1713

You will probably also find when doing this that the parts were greased at the factory ... subway and Borg diverter ... now have hardened grease and this old grease is impeding the diverts ability to operate smoothly. These should be disassembled, cleaned, and have a TINY amount of new synthetic grease applied. https://www.amazon.com/Super-Lube-21030-Synthetic-Grease/dp/B000XBH9HI/ref=sr_1_1

Please ignore anyone that says grease should never be used in a pinball machine ... these are metal-on-metal parts and are an exception to the general rule.

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

subway and Borg diverter

For sure mine need to be cleaned.

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

have a TINY amount of new synthetic grease applied. amazon.com link »

Disclaimer: Super Lube not intended for personal use. haha

#32 7 years ago

Thank you all who have chimed in here. The game that is destined for the basement has had a very good history with respect to the optos but I agree this is a good idea going forward. My games do not get played much. Get them to where I like them to be and then occasionally play them. Can't wait to actually pickup the game. Love the show and am very much looking forward to playing the game. This will be the first game that I acquire where I love the theme/ show so this one may actually get turned on more than once every several weeks!!

#33 7 years ago

STTNG is a fantastic game, congrats!

#34 7 years ago

Quick question on upgrading the DMD to a color version. I watched a video on youtube which was very informative however, it did not at all show anything relating to upgrading software. It was just sort of plug and play. Am I missing something as I thought there was a software component that also had to be dealt with when making this upgrade if one wanted to have the full effect of the DMD?

Thanks guys. the color display while costly sure oes add a new dimension to the game!!

G

#36 7 years ago
Quoted from GPS:

Am I missing something as I thought there was a software component that also had to be dealt with when making this upgrade if one wanted to have the full effect of the DMD?

Yes and no, the software I think you are referring to runs on the COLOR DMDs controller board; this is a small board that is part of the color DMD and has nothing to do with the machines software. You have to download the game specific software from the ColorDMD website and install it with a USD drive, it's pretty straight forward.

#37 7 years ago

And if for some reason you didn't want to keep the colour dmd in sttng then you could always put it in your fish tales or demo man by just changing the game code on the dmd via usb. Simples

#38 7 years ago

Ok. Got it. Thanks fellas. That color display is really beautiful. Gives a whole new look to the game

Thanks again. Can't wait to bring it home

#39 7 years ago

I bought a color dmd for my STTNG about 2 weeks ago. Took me about a half hour to install it. Went smoothly. It sure makes a 23 year old machine look amazing. I would highly recommend it. Before I bought it, I had an LA5 rom that I upgraded to the LX7 rom since it the Color DMD page said it was needed. Since then, I have read that a rom upgrade isn't always necessary. I was a little concerned after if first loaded as it was in HiRes and looked horribly in my opinion. I played around with the many settings and find that I still like the normal Dots setting. I wish I hadn't waited so long to get my Color DMD.

#40 7 years ago
Quoted from Da_Topper:

Klingon has Zitt's purple wing LEDs too.

Thanks. You can get them from here:
http://pinball-mods.com/oscom/modifications-do-it-yourself-kbop-wingleds-p-1.html

I'm working on another couple of mods; but they aren't yet at ready for production / discussion.

I second the ColorDMD option.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 85.00
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 15.00
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 64.99
$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mechanicsville, VA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/recommended-mods-for-sttng and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.