2222.jpg
3333.jpg
Screen_Shot_2015-07-19_at_10.26.15_AM.png
Screen_Shot_2015-07-19_at_10.26.40_AM.png
th.jpeg
image.jpg
IMG_1695.jpg
#1 11 years ago

I finally took the plunge and have ordered a Williams IJ. 'Should be here in a couple of weeks. Now the next phase begins: deciding how to mod the machine!

I noticed several commercial mods on eBay (tank, mine cart, rolling ball, ark, idol lights), and I have read a bit through the forum about the propeller mod, although I am still looking for a kit, if available.

So, which of these mods do you think gives you the most bang for the buck? Which, if any, disappointed you? Which am I missing?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

#2 11 years ago

First mods to do are the items that were in the prototypes but deleted by the accountants. Those would be the Lost Plastic with back lighting and the other is the back lighting on the speaker panel.

The propeller mod is really cool. I always put that one in. Glare Guard is helpful so you can actually see the lost plastic. Plastic protectors are a must, since the ball is wild on this game when you hit the drop targets.

I'd also recommend making sure the mode hole does not bounce out as one of the first things you do. This along with rebuilding the flippers completely to make them accurate and powerful enough to hit that right ramp.

#3 11 years ago

Thanks. I am looking into the lighting and will definitely order the plastic protectors (and Cliffys, for that matter). Any experience with the other available mods?

#4 11 years ago

You may or may not spend a lot of time dialing in the Path of Adventure, so start there before mods. I still tweak mine via the tabs and the position of the back ramp because I can't get it to stay perfect. The two tricks are a) getting the ball to be able to pass the first switch on the left and the right sides, and b) getting the ball to NOT fall into the Pit when you have it fully tilted left or right. I ended up putting some felt tape (the soft velcro) on the wall sides by the top switch to keep it from being launched into the Pit. Not sure if I've got it perfect yet. It's also typical to move the Jackpot sign down to the bottom screws to allow the POA to tilt all the way right. But then the notch isn't in the right spot so it bends up the plastic.
Agree on Mode Start, and the common fixes for this are drop dead foam on the deflector plate and putting washers underneath the switch under the pf. I also have a 630 coil on the right side which I'm sure helps to reduce bounce outs, and now the combination of all 3 I almost never bounce out, and it's still easy to make the left ramp.
Mods? I'm just happy if it plays 100%. That being said, a sub is mod #1. It makes the music and sound fx sound great, especially "Steal the Stones." The Lost Plastic is #2, backlighting for it probably #3, but I've not yet installed the light. Mike Chestnut can do brass plating for the wireforms and gun handle if they need it.

#5 11 years ago

Thanks, Spidey. Of course, not yet having possession of the machine, I can't see how it is behaving, but I will return to this thread once it arrives. Thanks. I appreciate all of the advice I can get to optimize this pin.

#6 11 years ago

Anyone know of a propeller mod kit still being sold? I haven't been able to find one.

#7 11 years ago

Hey Craig! I'm looking for the propeller mod as well. I just got my Indy from a fellow pinsider as well (Thanks Forbelsop) I love the mods as well, and prior to getting my pin my buddy put chrome nickel on the gun handle, sling protectors, cliffy protectors, and some LED lights. Since I got the pin, I added the mine cart mod, a small Indiana Jones figure, a small plastic (realistic) snake near the paths of adventure, and I got on order (but I haven't received yet) the ark and the LED light strip near the rotating idol plastic on the right. The mine cart looks cool, just cheap plastic and kinda expensive. I'm really looking forward to the ark mod because I think every Indy pin should have that mod in there. I didn't order the real expensive one that was listed for like 150.00 bucks, but I got the other one on eBay from Andy Dredds (which looks better IMO and has more LEDs). Hope to post a pic of the finished product soon.

#8 11 years ago

Also, I probably will add some target decals on it from Pinballdecals.com. Forbelsop already added the lost plastic piece on the pin for me, so definitely get that one. Plus, I will eventually put some gold colored legs and trim on the pin because I think it will really make my Indy "pop"! Check out Matt Adams' video of his Indy pin under his pinball collection on his Youtube channel listed as Tattyadams. He has a sweet looking Indy with some of the mods you mentioned.

#9 11 years ago

when u guys say propeller mod is that for the plane? I like the Nazi blimp from pinball decals it looks great.. I got that plus the tank, the ark light strip, minecart mod, also game is all LED's. PDI glass..

#10 11 years ago

Yeah, it's for the white airplane. During certain shots the propellor will rotate, something like the tiger saw in TOM.

#11 11 years ago

I love the blimp, just real pricey. How do you like the tank mod Wise_Guy? Is it worth it with the LEDs, or should I go cheap and just buy the micro-machines version? (which looks like the same mod)

#12 11 years ago

wow if u guys find that propeller mod let me know..Yea the blimp is expensive. I really like the tank mod I bought it at pinball decals it looks great and while in tank chase flashes! Yes I think its worth it..

#13 11 years ago

I just made a propeller mod from a replacement Mini RC Helicopter tail. Works pretty well, but I only have it spin when the dogfight flasher is lit. Otherwise it seemed like it never stopped. The resistor I used seemed to run hot and I don't want any melted plastic. Cost about $20.

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from spidey:

You may or may not spend a lot of time dialing in the Path of Adventure, so start there before mods. I still tweak mine via the tabs and the position of the back ramp because I can't get it to stay perfect. The two tricks are a) getting the ball to be able to pass the first switch on the left and the right sides, and b) getting the ball to NOT fall into the Pit when you have it fully tilted left or right. I ended up putting some felt tape (the soft velcro) on the wall sides by the top switch to keep it from being launched into the Pit. Not sure if I've got it perfect yet. It's also typical to move the Jackpot sign down to the bottom screws to allow the POA to tilt all the way right. But then the notch isn't in the right spot so it bends up the plastic.
Agree on Mode Start, and the common fixes for this are drop dead foam on the deflector plate and putting washers underneath the switch under the pf. I also have a 630 coil on the right side which I'm sure helps to reduce bounce outs, and now the combination of all 3 I almost never bounce out, and it's still easy to make the left ramp.
Mods? I'm just happy if it plays 100%. That being said, a sub is mod #1. It makes the music and sound fx sound great, especially "Steal the Stones." The Lost Plastic is #2, backlighting for it probably #3, but I've not yet installed the light. Mike Chestnut can do brass plating for the wireforms and gun handle if they need it.

Great point on the POA. I'd rather have a well adjusted POA than any of the mods. This is something tricky and takes a few iterations to get the POA to sit level on power up. Also, don't ever wax the POA or it will be too fast. In that same vein, I usually lift the front of the POA with a couple of washers under the mount. This allows me to jack the machine up to well over 7 degrees while still maintaining a playable POA at the same incline as if the machine was at 6.5 degrees.

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

I'd rather have a well adjusted POA than any of the mods.

Absolutely agree!!! Can someone still Novus it if you can't wax it?

#16 11 years ago

Thanks a lot for the advice. It's fun to read what you've done. There are some pretty cool mods out there, but they tend to awfully pricey. Still, in for a penny, in for a pound!

Sure do wish I could find a propeller mod. I don't trust myself to get it right without some very explicit help.

#17 11 years ago

I replaced the planes with die cast models in a smaller scale (1:100 I think). I always hated how huge those factory planes were. The biplane was from one of the IJ toy collections and has Dr Jones firing the gun. The fighter was a bf 109 from a different toy series I think and I added LEDs that flash like the factory plane.

IMG_1695.jpgIMG_1695.jpg

#18 11 years ago

Has anybody seen both of the ark mods, which one is nicer?
I like that the more expensive one has a gold plated metal finish,
but the design of the cheaper one is more appealing.
The cheaper one comes with 7 leds, which actually may be a bit too much imo.

$160 ark mod
ebay.com link: Indiana Jones Pinball Machine ARK Mod Add On Lost Relic found

$93 ark mod
ebay.com link: Indiana Jones Pinball Super Ark mod MKII

#19 11 years ago

As far as I know the propeller mod is no longer available.

#20 11 years ago

Make sure it has the most current game and sound ROMs. Do the LED patch too. This game looks great with superbrites in the inserts.
Don't forget the Pinbits Shaker. If they will ever make another batch.

1 year later
#21 10 years ago

The Corgi Flight Messerschmitt 109 is a good option. Not what was in the IJ&TLC movie, but what was meant to be.

image.jpgimage.jpg

http://www.corgi.co.uk/shop/corgi-flight/cc99303-messerschmitt-109/

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from DMC:

The Corgi Flight 109 is a good option. Not what was in the movie, but what was meant to be.

DMC: I enjoyed the original post and your suggestion of the Corgi plane. What's the scale compared to the current plane to be replaced?

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from BestShot31:

DMC: I enjoyed the original post and your suggestion of the Corgi plane. What's the scale compared to the current plane to be replaced?

It's definitely smaller. 1:72 scale or a wingspan of 137mm / 5.4 inches. There's some premium ones on the website too for a fair bit more cash. I didn't see if they have a suitable bi-plane replacement though.

#24 10 years ago

I like the original planes, I have the cheap $6 prop mod I need to install soon, I bought an Indy Hallmark figure and placed him over the upper lane guides, looks like he's whipping the snakes with the red glow from the pops that are red. I also bought an small idol, which I'm going to position over the lock scoop area somehow.

I bought the ark mod, I love that one, and the kit on ebay for lighting the ruins. Above that, plastic proptectors, LED's (lots of green make the forest/green plastics pop), and the endless battle with the mode start deflector

#25 10 years ago

A great game to mod all round really.

#26 10 years ago

Has anyone ever tried to match the red on the biplane? Some of it rubbed off the top. Thanks.

1 year later
#27 8 years ago

I'm Resurrecting this thread. I have started restoration of my Indy and would love new feedback.

th.jpegth.jpeg

#28 8 years ago

PinSound board would be a good add-on once we can use the new soundtrack created by EndProdukt.

#29 8 years ago

If you're looking for some target switch decals I designed some for PinGraffix.com

Screen_Shot_2015-07-19_at_10.26.40_AM.pngScreen_Shot_2015-07-19_at_10.26.40_AM.png

Screen_Shot_2015-07-19_at_10.26.15_AM.pngScreen_Shot_2015-07-19_at_10.26.15_AM.png

#30 8 years ago

I also designed some ramp decals that i've installed on my own IJ pin. I think they're a must have.

3333.jpg3333.jpg

2222.jpg2222.jpg

1111.png1111.png

#31 8 years ago

If you're really serious about adding some adventure to your Pin take a look at our PinBlades. These are inner cabinet that just look awesome on my game. You can our PinBlades, target switches and the ramp decals on our web site at www.PinGraffix.com.

Indiana-Jones-4-Posting.jpgIndiana-Jones-4-Posting.jpg

#32 8 years ago

I'm liking some of the ideas.

2 weeks later
#33 8 years ago

Just added the pinblades to mine. They look great.

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from jGraffix:

If you're looking for some target switch decals I designed some for PinGraffix.com

Screen_Shot_2015-07-19_at_10.26.40_AM.pngScreen_Shot_2015-07-19_at_10.26.15_AM.png

very nice looking proto IJ jGraffix...I have a proto as well and love it. I had the rails, lockdown, gun, and legs "golded" by Mike C. Really makes the game pop. I put on the rotating boulder a while back along with the runaway mine car. The mine car will stay, the rotating boulder is kind of a waste. Runs infrequently the way it's hooked up and looks out of place IMO. Color DMD would look great too. Haven't pulled the trigger on that one yet. One reason is that the orange DMD fits right in with the orange motif of most of the game. Probably will in the future.

#35 8 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

Just added the pinblades to mine. They look great.

could you throw up a couple of pics in the game

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,419.00
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 85.00
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 1,319.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 29.00
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

12,500 (OBO)
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 0.00
Playfield - Other
PinJewels

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilmington, DE
$ 70.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Wanted
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

11,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Trumansburg, NY
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 12.95
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/recommended-indiana-jones-mods and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.