Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

AbsorbingJR.jpg
SeaWolf.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider boatcat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 8 years ago

It's been stated many times here and in other forums, games from '51-'56 are the pinnacle of the EM era just for the fact playfield duplication hardly ever happened, each designed playfield was radically different from the last. Also, 4-5 ways to win was the norm. Along with high scores, a points system and 2-3 other sequences were offered. What I really like on these games is your failure to bid for 1 sequence during the course of a game may find you within easy reach of 1 or 2 others, changing your entire strategy, or, going unnoticed until that special lite all of a sudden appears.

Once Gtb. Majestic appeared in '57, introducing the spin roto, most games afterwards included this feature. I personally don't like it as it takes up too much space both above and below the playfield, making it the centerpiece on just about every game it shows up, (and limiting room for other features). It's like Gottlieb's upper management got to the design team and told them to incorporate the roto into everything because, "We love it!"

#15 8 years ago

OK, but have to mention, not much in '57 by way of non-roto single player games, at least for Gottlieb. There are 2 from that year without the roto, Ace High and World Champ, and both are superb games, but are serious shooter's games, meaning I wouldn't recommend as a lone example in a collection.

Ace High is a little strange at the bottom of the playfield in that there are 4 outlanes and dead slings above the flippers, (ala Flying Carpet), meaning, unless you're an excellent flipper shooter, there's a good chance you'll dislike it. I've heard a lot of guys tell me they "Cut their teeth" on this game and Flying Carpet because of the dead slings and you have several chances of learning how to set up for shots as the ball works its way down, etc. World Champ centers on the bottom of the playfield as you're shooting for 4 targets, 2 on each side of the gobble hole, constantly building up the hole for multiple replays. Very interesting game, but shots have to be accurate or you'll be walking away quickly. The middle drain is rather intrusive, so much that it's become a question whether or not a center save post of some kind was the manufacturer's intention. Both are great games, just are somewhat different from other games of the era.

I have little experience with Williams Woodies. Someone else will have to chime in to help you out there.....

Good luck in your search.........

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from oldcarz:

I had been on a search to find either the Gusher or Sea Wolf for awhile because of the disappearing bumper and other neat artwork.

Make it Gusher! Been a while since I played Sea Wolf but I remember once the ball makes its way down to the bottom half of the playfield, it's almost impossible to send it back up.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 65.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 12.00
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider boatcat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/recommended-ems-from-the-1950s?tu=boatcat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.