Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by northvibe
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

F19194D3-CC8E-4036-B8B3-7AF82BA76972 (resized).jpeg
    #1 1 year ago

I have been thinking of setting up a back up network for all the files saved on my home computer. Thought I would see what others use to ensure the files saved on their home computers at backup properly in case of an issue with the computer crashing, etc. Ideally l like the back up to be automatic (done each day at a certain time or throughout the day) and not sure if better to have one or two separate back up drives in case one fails. I think there are also websites you can subscribe to that will also back up the files on your home computers but not sure I would want to store personal files on an external network. I be open to this if fairly inexpensive and I could only back up certain folders, etc.

Let me know what systems you use and any recommendations. Like to find something that is easy to set up and easy to maintain. Ideally like to keep the cost under $500US if possible. Thanks for the help!

#2 1 year ago

I went a little nuts for the basic needs but I run a synology 2 bay DS720+ (for future proofing). Then I ordered 3 of the same drives from three different vendors. Two go in the unit for raid 1 like functionality and one sits on the shelf as the hot spare.

They offer cheaper 2 bay units you just don’t get the cpu, nvme add in etc. but it’s worked well and I’ve been migrating all my files to it. Then they offer integration for cloud backup or you can redundant copy to another nas or usb hdd.

Edit: I do have shares for files and also added a time machine share for the mac computers to backup. Lots of handy features in the synology

#3 1 year ago

Plenty of cloud systems for you devices for pennies a day.

I just use MS one drive for all my files and have access from anywhere and any device.

Find a service you like and dump the hardware idea.

#4 1 year ago

Do not depend on just one local backup solution. I'm not saying this cause of the risk of an actual fire or disaster, but more so the risk of hardware/software/controller issue. RAID doesn't help when the array is effed.

#5 1 year ago

I run the Synology Ds218play which has 2 bays and a USB 3.0 for more drives. From there, I sync my most important folders to backblaze.

This is one of the more economical NAS options, so only really effective at low TiBs overall and low GiBs syncd to backblaze. One thing to keep in mind is that the NAS will run 24x7x365 and the electricity does add up. So going with an arm processor on the NAS does help keep things cheaper at the expense of performance.

#6 1 year ago

Thanks for some of the suggestions. Any other suggestions besides MS One Drive and Backblaze? Do they backup your computer files automatically or do you have to do it manually ever so often? Thanks for the help.

#7 1 year ago

Use the free license for Veeam, which is great stuff. Attach an external or internal larger drive (8TB drives are reasonable now), and set up a schedule to back up routinely.

Very reliable, full image backup that you can restore easily if your C: drive takes a bullet. Same software used for server backup/restore.

https://www.veeam.com/virtual-machine-backup-solution-free.html?ad=menu-products

#8 1 year ago

As far as files go, I use a Western Digital 4TB external HD, to backup anything I want to save. Plug it in every so often, drag and drop files over, nothing to it.

They’re so small nowadays, you can get a little carry case for it, to store it when not in use.

Yea, it’s more manual, but it’s pay once, and no more cost after. Want to say it was $100-$200 altogether from Best Buy.

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinballjah:

Thanks for some of the suggestions. Any other suggestions besides MS One Drive and Backblaze? Do they backup your computer files automatically or do you have to do it manually ever so often? Thanks for the help.

One Drive is like a personal network file directory. You link directories on your machine, or your home directory and when you save files, it stores them locally and replicates them immediately to the cloud directory and they stay in both places. You can also share these files with others if you want, like any other cloud storage service

There are settings to automatically back up your default user config files/documents/pics etc. too.

I subscribe to MS365 so I get all the office products, outlook, teams, and one drive bundled for less than $10/month. They stay updated automatically and I can log into any device and get to the apps and files.

When you buy a new Windows machine, it will walk you through linking to your subscription and there is no other setup needed.

There may be better or more secure apps out there and everyone has their own religion on these things. But if you aren't a techie, this is the most convenient way to stay connected to everything safely for about $100 year in a Microsoft environment. If you just need OneDrive for backup, I'm sure it's cheaper.

If you are a MAC guy, I think iCloud works about the same way.

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinballjah:

Synology has app/links to cloud sync to many services. Aws glacier, Dropbox, google drive etc
    Glacier is cheap to send data to but costs more to recover. Backblaze is pretty decent I hear too.

#11 1 year ago

One drive for the win!
    It’s free if you already have Office 365

#12 1 year ago

Hasn’t failed me yet.

F19194D3-CC8E-4036-B8B3-7AF82BA76972 (resized).jpegF19194D3-CC8E-4036-B8B3-7AF82BA76972 (resized).jpeg
    #13 1 year ago

Backblaze seems to be unlimited data for $7/month versus One Drive which seems to have data caps. Can any type of file extension be saved on these sites? Looking to backup a lot of Pinball Browser and Pinsound files, so want to make sure any file type will work.

Thanks again.

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

I went a little nuts for the basic needs but I run a synology 2 bay DS720+ (for future proofing). Then I ordered 3 of the same drives from three different vendors. Two go in the unit for raid 1 like functionality and one sits on the shelf as the hot spare.
    They offer cheaper 2 bay units you just don’t get the cpu, nvme add in etc. but it’s worked well and I’ve been migrating all my files to it. Then they offer integration for cloud backup or you can redundant copy to another nas or usb hdd.
    Edit: I do have shares for files and also added a time machine share for the mac computers to backup. Lots of handy features in the synology

With this type of system, do you buy the drives separately? Thanks.

#15 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinballjah:

Backblaze seems to be unlimited data for $7/month versus One Drive which seems to have data caps. Can any type of file extension be saved on these sites? Looking to backup a lot of Pinball Browser and Pinsound files, so want to make sure any file type will work.
    Thanks again.

iirc, the backblaze unlimited is a desktop backup app. It did not work with Synology or Linux so I ended up using their metered storage offering. Since I'm only syncing my most important data that is around a gigabyte, my bill each month is pennies. With the metered storage, you can store any files.

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from Black_Knight:

I subscribe to MS365 so I get all the office products, outlook, teams, and one drive bundled for less than $10/month. They stay updated automatically and I can log into any device and get to the apps and files.

Quoted from MaxIsDead:

One drive for the win!
    It’s free if you already have Office 365

MS does promotions every year too. You can often get it much cheaper. 365 Family includes 6 TB of storage.

#17 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinballjah:

With this type of system, do you buy the drives separately? Thanks.

yes, I bought the synology empty from B&H photo, then the hdd's, each one from a different vendor to make sure I didn't get two in the same batch in case of failure issues. So b&h photo, newegg, bestbuy or amazon.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.