(Topic ID: 248874)

Recommendations for starting a collection

By izboy

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

I am just getting into pinball. I purchased a Ghostbusters Premium from a pinsider and am looking to add another machine. I have reviewed several of the ratings but would like any recommendations for great second machine. I have one teenage son that likes to play as well.

#2 4 years ago

What type of themes do you like also what type of player are you do you enjoy more shallow games or deep coded games what is your price range as well.

#3 4 years ago

Pinball is one of those things you need to discover on your own. Everyone has their own opinions. Personally I love system 11 because I played them in high school and that's what I love. I couldn't recommend whirlwind or earthshaker because you would find them simple and boring.
    Get out and play a bunch. Find what really appeals to you. Never over looks a game because other people say it's not fun.
    Last piece of advice, if you are a hands on type of person, after you start building a collection. Look into buying something on the low end and reconditioning it with your son. I have more fun working on games then playing them.

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

What type of themes do you like also what type of player are you do you enjoy more shallow games or deep coded games what is your price range as well.

What he said, and also search out locations near you that might have pins you are interested in so you can give them some play time. You might find the games you thought you would want suck and others that weren't on your radar are actually exactly what you are looking for.

#5 4 years ago

Go the the Circuit Arcade Bar in Scott's Addition and see which games you like. They have a good selection and good beer. It gets busy on weekends.
    Champion Brewing in Monroe Ward and Bingo Beer in Scott's Addition have a lot of newer sterns to try out.

#6 4 years ago

Medieval Madness.. nough said.

#7 4 years ago

Thanks for your responses. I have really enjoyed the the pin I have. Price is really not my main concern I just want something that is fun to play for me and my son. I will try the arcade bar. As far as Medieval Madness goes, it looks awesome. Is there a good tutorial that you recommend?

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from izboy:

Thanks for your responses. I have really enjoyed the the pin I have. Price is really not my main concern I just want something that is fun to play for me and my son. I will try the arcade bar. As far as Medieval Madness goes, it looks awesome. Is there a good tutorial that you recommend?

Shoot the castle

#9 4 years ago

Welcome! Find local pinsiders via the Pinside map. Befriend them and check out/play pinball with them. Play pins on location, at shows, and at friend's houses. You'll know what you like when you find it. Good luck!

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from izboy:

As far as Medieval Madness goes, it looks awesome. Is there a good tutorial that you recommend?

http://pinball.org/rules/medievalmadness.html

#11 4 years ago

Have lots space and money. ; ) Shane

#12 4 years ago

Fish Tales, Getaway, Jackbot all great values, buy at a great price they are still going up in value and they are great games.

#13 4 years ago

Just don't is the best advise you'll get here. It's addictive, expensive and super expensive if you don't learn to fix your own stuff.

However should you fail to heed my warning variety is what makes a succesful gameroom.
    Sometimes you'll want a long game sometimes short. Sometimes a shallow rule set sometimes a deep rule set etc etc. Variety. Not all expensive games are fun and not all cheaper games are boring. As mentioned already, you need to get out and play a bunch and decide. What one person likes the other person hates.

#14 4 years ago

Lots of money.

Take your son and hit a pinball show. Play a variety of games. Then hone your wants to games you really like. This step is easier before they are in your house and you want one gone and desire something else.

And as you play more and your skills improve. Your tastes in what you like in a game may change too.

Welcome to the wonderful world of pinball.

LTG : )

#16 4 years ago

I started cheap with a $200 game i found on Facebook, after having Williams ,Bally’s, data east I’ve found I prefer data east games. Now have 5 pins in my limited space and finally have my collection to wear I want it. Also to note bring the family wife and kids. My wife isn’t a pin person but once I brought home my simpsons every time I’m in my arcade room she’s always down there playing it

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/recommendations-for-starting-a-collection?hl=clellison and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.