• 23 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Pin-Pilot
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Hi all! New to this forum.

Its been a while since I turned on my pin so I pulled it out of retirement to get it fixed for the grandkids coming over this Christmas. Its a 1986 Williams High Speed System-11 and player two alpha-numeric display is not working. I swapped with player one and its definitely the display. So I started searching around, checking the guys I used to buy stuff from years ago (Pinball Resource, Mr. Pinball, Marco Specialties, etc.) and it looks like there are a few aftermarket "newer design" replacement boards that seem like a good idea.

So, can you guys recommend a brand/set of boards? While I'm at it, any other boards I should replace/upgrade? Should I try to fix the display I have that is not working? I'm planning on getting it working top notch and then give it to my 27 year old son who loved it as a kid (yeah we had a lot of pins back then).

Thanks,
Michael

#2 7 years ago
Quoted from mjgillen:

Hi all! New to this forum.
Its been a while since I turned on my pin so I pulled it out of retirement to get it fixed for the grandkids coming over this Christmas. Its a 1986 Williams High Speed System-11 and player two alpha-numeric display is not working. I swapped with player one and its definitely the display. So I started searching around, checking the guys I used to buy stuff from years ago (Pinball Resource, Mr. Pinball, Marco Specialties, etc.) and it looks like there are a few aftermarket "newer design" replacement boards that seem like a good idea.
So, can you guys recommend a brand/set of boards? While I'm at it, any other boards I should replace/upgrade? Should I try to fix the display I have that is not working? I'm planning on getting it working top notch and then give it to my 27 year old son who loved it as a kid (yeah we had a lot of pins back then).
Thanks,
Michael

Pretty sure someone will pop up with one for sale for you. Probably $30 to $50 complete board and glass so you can just pop it in. Cheaper than sending it out.

Also, you might get some repair tips if your handy with a soldering iron.

If you are thinking of buying something post the links and people here will let you know if it is 1-to-1 compatible for plug and play and look.

Good luck. I'm sure this will work out.

#3 7 years ago

I'm OK with a soldering iron, not afraid to work the board. I think you are saying that I can get a replacement glass and solder it in? That would work.

Long term though I would like to replace the boards with something modern. Seems like the way to go. I see products offered by PinScore, XPin, and in another thread someone says that RottenDog offers boards as well however I did not see any that fit on their website. The PinScore and XPins are all out of stock on the sites I checked. And I would like opinions from people who actually have them. I like the XPin's ability to adjust the brightness. However I'm most concerned with reliability and compatibility.

And I want it by Christmas if possible...

Michael

#4 7 years ago

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=679 There is no problem with the originals for reliability. Most last for 30 plus years.

#5 7 years ago

Just make sure before buying a glass that it isn't a board issue. I'm sure someone who knows what to check will chime in also.

Sometimes there are common problems to check first. Like making sure a resistor didn't blow cutting off all voltage.

#6 7 years ago

They're very reliable from what I've seen (I don't own them) and compatibility is pretty much guaranteed as long as you buy the right ones, and I would infact recommend them.

I just don't buy them because I'm very picky on how they look. So, if you decide to buy the new ones please sell me your two numeric displays because I've had a Comet with no displays working for months now because I'm too stubborn to buy the new ones, and too poor to buy the NOS glass tubes. (So, if you decide to upgrade and want to make it cheaper you know where to find me!)

The model number that works with your game is: XP-WMS10877 (XPin) or PS-10877-P (Pinscore)

https://www.rocklandpinball.com/product/xp-wms10877/ (Backorder?)
http://www.pinscore.com/products/pinball-displays/35-ps-10877-p-led-display-for-williams-system-11 (Information only, not for sale here)

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from Otaku:

I've had a Comet with no displays working for months now

Comet was my first pin I got for my sons back on 1990. What a great machine!

I just went through a couple of parts boxes and found a D-11610 with another (game?) sticker that say 554 107674. This board has two AN displays on top and two numeric on the bottom. IFCC, I bought this on eBay and the sell indicated that one of the ICs on the board was fried (and I remember verifying a fried IC) however the board and displays look to be in excellent condition. I don't recall why I bought this board however I wonder if the displays will work in my High Speed?

I'm still leaning toward modern replacements. Just wish someone has what I need in stock. The whole set would be about $200 and just the replacement glass from Pinball Life is $60 so it just seems cost effective as well.

And thanks to all that have chimed in. Looks like I found a good forum.

Michael

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from mjgillen:

I wonder if the displays will work in my High Speed?

Yes they will.

#9 7 years ago

Looks like I'll fire up the soldering iron. I'll let y'all know how it goes.

Michael

#10 7 years ago

Well, that didn't work out. Could be that I damaged the board getting the old glass off. Or it could be that the "new" glass didn't work anyway. I did do the work and thought it *should* be OK however no joy. Oh well, I'm just going to wait and get a new XPin set.

Otaku PM me your mailing address and I'll get that D-11610 board out to you. It has a fried IC at C-16 and the AN display pins near that IC are a little scorched so that display glass may be hosed however there are also two numeric displays on the board that appear good but I have no way to test them. The board is yours for free.

Michael

#11 7 years ago

Wow, thanks a ton! PM incoming. I seriously appreciate it.

#12 7 years ago

Got your PM however I can't reply, account is too new. However, I'll get this in the mail on Monday.

Best wishes,
Michael

#13 7 years ago

That's weird, I wonder why they do that. Thanks again though! It will definitely go to great use, super excited!

#14 7 years ago

If you want to update to a new style. I've used Xpin and pinscore. I had a bad solder joint on an Xpin, but their after sales service was awesome! Nice option with the new displays is color choice if you want. I have blue in my High Speed, green in Grand Lizard and white in Space Station.

1 week later
#15 7 years ago

I bought the XPin and it works great. Super simple to install. Plug and play. Looks great too.

Brett from XPin took great care of me. I highly recommend XPin.

Michael

2 years later
#16 4 years ago

Just bought a #High Speed the other day and starting the process of getting it up and running.

The top right display is not working. Swapped the ribbon cable to right connector and still not working. Anyone have any displays they would want to sell for this game. I am sure there are other games that use this display as well. Just not sure which ones. Thanks

#17 4 years ago

You are trying to track down an alpha-NUMERIC 7 digit display. If you aren't afraid to solder, you could possibly buy a NOS glass somewhere but they are pricey. A numeric only glass will NOT work. (The lower displays in High Speed are numeric, not alpha-numeric.)

ebay.com link: 7 Digit AlphaNumeric Pinball Display Glass NOS with nipple GAS OK SEE VIDEO

#18 4 years ago

Cool, thanks for the link. Yea soldering is not an obstacle for me. I noticed the top displays are different than the lower displays. I was able to find a NOS Alpha-Numeric 7 segment display and board on eBay for $40. I am going to try that and hopefully it will work. At least I know there is NOS display available.

However looking at that display it has a rather large nipple on the back side and may not fit on the board without some modifications to the board.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

Cool, thanks for the link. Yea soldering is not an obstacle for me. I noticed the top displays are different than the lower displays. I was able to find a NOS Alpha-Numeric 7 segment display and board on eBay for $40. I am going to try that and hopefully it will work. At least I know there is NOS display available.

I just sold a 7 digit numeric display on eBay for $40 and it is going to cave creek. I am not sure but assuming that has to be you. If so, the display I have that you bought will not work in place of the alpha numeric. If that’s the case and you need to cancel We can clear that up. It’s no big deal

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from jmountjoy111:

I just sold a 7 digit numeric display on eBay for $40 and it is going to cave creek. I am not sure but assuming that has to be you. If so, the display I have that you bought will not work in place of the alpha numeric. If that’s the case and you need to cancel We can clear that up. It’s no big deal

Yes, that was me. Dang! I thought I was set. Ok, I will cancel it. LOL

I cannot cancel it past an hour of the purchase. You will have to initiate the cancel. Sorry for the hassle, and thank you.

#21 4 years ago

No problem. It was an honest mistake. I know I wouldn’t want to get stuck with the wrong part. I’ll cancel the order

#22 4 years ago

Something you may want to check is for cracked solder on the back of the bad display.

I had a pile of “bad” digit displays that I reflowed the solder. Was able to resurrect two of them.

Kind of a Hail Mary, but worth a shot.

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from AMBoggs:

Something you may want to check is for cracked solder on the back of the bad display.
I had a pile of “bad” digit displays that I reflowed the solder. Was able to resurrect two of them.
Kind of a Hail Mary, but worth a shot.

Yea, I should do that. I did take a quick look at the solder connections did not see anything obvious but will do the re-solder thing and maybe get lucky.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Orange, CA
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/recommendations-for-replacing-displays-on-high-speed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.