(Topic ID: 18735)

Recommendations for first pinball machine purchase?

By madcow

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 50 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by kwiKimart
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1531.JPG
    IMG_1530.JPG
    IMG_1523.JPG
    #1 11 years ago

Hi everyone, I am in the market for my first pinball machine in the Chicago area. I am looking for any and all advice on what machines would be best for a beginner, and how to go about the buying process in general.

My budget is somewhat limited at around $800-$1,200

I have been checking out craigslist and then looking at IPDB.org, youtube, and playing future pinball tables to check out reviews/check out tables.

I am looking for a newer machine with multiball but other than that I'm not sure what to look for.

Thanks!

#2 11 years ago

Patience. I'm relatively new, but I had it in my mind that I was going to buy a g€%#|<£n pinball machine come hell or high water. Luckily, it turned out well, no thanks to my inexperience. Be very patient with your search.

Take someone with you who knows what they are doing. Have an idea of the type and era of pin you want. For $800-$1200, you'll be limited to older and less popular titles, but try and get one that works 100% to give you some time to work typical maintenance. If you're mechanically savvy, maybe you can pick one up that has a few minor problems. You may be tempted to buy a title you want that's not working - don't do it. It will cause you headaches and financial grief.

Good luck and always ask questions - lots of great help here.

#3 11 years ago

I know you said $1000 was around your budget, but I went the route of buying a Stern NIB for my first and only pin. It worked right out of the box and still no problems 200 plays later. If you can afford it, I think that is the best route for first time pinball owners without any repair knowledge. Also, check out the pinball locator map at pinballrebel.com to find machines on location near you to try out different tables.

#4 11 years ago

I would be looking for games to go listed, then look them up. If you get too set on a certain title it's not as likely to come up, and you're mentally locked in and might have to pay more.

You're also in Chicago, and prices from what I've seen are bad there.

Number 1 thing I would do is learn the menu systems in differnt games if possible. Then you'lll know how to test and figure out what's working and not working.

#5 11 years ago

Can't go wrong with a System 11 game. Fun games, relatively inexpensive, relatively easy to fix and parts for the most part are readily available.

#6 11 years ago
    Quoted from Sparky347:

Can't go wrong with a System 11 game. Fun games, relatively inexpensive, relatively easy to fix and parts for the most part are readily available.

Yep i was thinking the same thing. You can bag a HS for that and have fun for years.

#7 11 years ago

Welcome to the sickness!

One of the best pieces of advice I got here on Pinside when I was in your shoes was to check out this;

http://pinside.com/pinball/top-100/bangforbuck

It's one of the main reasons Johnny Mnemonic was my first table, and I'm still loving it!

Later,
    EV

#8 11 years ago

”I know you said $1000 was around your budget, but I went the route of buying a Stern NIB for my first and only pin.”

Don't think a NIB is in the cards for someone with an $800-$1200 budget ... Best advice is definitely to be patient. You'll need to read up or find someone who knows what they're doing and what to look for. Just because a pin is advertised above your price range doesn't mean you can't get it by showing up with cash, taking a look at the pin and talking the owner down by explaining everything that is wrong with his pin and how much it will take to fix.

#9 11 years ago

I agree that you should be patient and look hard.
    Allen

#10 11 years ago

any interest in a data east simpsons? if so pm me

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from EchoVictor:

Welcome to the sickness!
    One of the best pieces of advice I got here on Pinside when I was in your shoes was to check out this;
    It's one of the main reasons Johnny Mnemonic was my first table, and I'm still loving it!
    Later,
    EV

Great list and good jumping off point, but the problem I've had with looking for those pins is that they're in high demand. And demand = $$$.

Play a few if you can, watch the flow on youtube, and make yourself a top ten list. Then check ebay, CL, Mr. Pinball, and the pinside Marketplace every day while maintaining a zen-like patience. These machines have been around for decades, so you can wait a few weeks or months for the right deal.

And remember, it's just pinball. This is supposed to be fun!

#12 11 years ago

Wow, way more replies than I expected, thanks everyone! I will be patient, but I'd like to pick one up in the next 2 months if at all possible...

Mr Pinball seems like a great resource.

As far as reviews/determining which machine is for me, I'm still a bit stumped though...Are YouTube videos the next best thing to actually playing them?

Here are some I'm checking out:
    Baywatch (asking 1600 but I could offer less)
    Escape from the lost world (asking 995)
    Secret service (asking 900)
    Data East Simpsons
    Judge dredd

Again, thanks for the help and the welcome!

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from Sparky347:

I agree, srart with a system 11. Beware though! once you get one then you'll want another, and another.....

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from madcow:

Escape from the Lost World (asking 995)

I played this alot at MGC and really liked it!

#15 11 years ago

I would try buying from a collector, perhaps on here, then your almost guaranteed to get a good pin (because they'll be honest if there are any issues if any). A non-collector is going to have a run down pin, because they usually aren't fixing issues. The ad will claim a perfect working pin, then you get there, and either something obvious isn't working (like lighting, or a flipper), or something not so obvious that you won't notice unless you've played it before (like half the sounds missing).

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from EchoVictor:

Welcome to the sickness!
    Later,
    EV

^^^this^^^

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from madcow:

Here are some I'm checking out:
    Baywatch (asking 1600 but I could offer less)
    Escape from the Lost World (asking 995)
    Secret Service (asking 900)
    Data East Simpsons
    Judge Dredd
    Again, thanks for the help and the welcome!

Of those, I'd say the best two are Judge Dredd and Baywatch.

Yeah, as a JD owner I'm kinda biased, but it's a really cool game. Widebody, four flippers, tons of ramps and habitrails, 9 different modes (+4 more in SuperGame), etc.....

As long as you don't mind the theme (not a Hoff fan personally), Baywatch is actually a pretty fun game. Major issue on this one is it has the larger size DMD which is difficult and expensive to fix if it goes bad.

Later,
    EV

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from Sparky347:

+1, I haven't found a system 11 Pin I didn't like! Good luck.

#19 11 years ago

Yeah Baywatch is fun. Especially for little kids with all the dolphin and shark sounds. Awsome video modes too! I picked mine up cheap about 6-7 months ago...maybe you can too.

1 week later
    #20 11 years ago

I agree with system 11 games have F-14 gets alot of play and have had only one small issue and it was a simple fix ( replace diode) . That is over a four year span about 30-50 games monthly. If your not in hurry you will find good buys I have not paid over $1000 for any of mine so far F-14, Comet, Space Shuttle, and Pool Sharks. Good luck with search and the start of an addiction.

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from tsveng:

I know you said $1000 was around your budget, but I went the route of buying a Stern NIB for my first and only pin. It worked right out of the box and still no problems 200 plays later. If you can afford it, I think that is the best route for first time pinball owners without any repair knowledge. Also, check out the pinball locator map at pinballrebel.com to find machines on location near you to try out different tables.

Bad advice, esp. for someone on a budget. There are better and more reliable games that can be found (that are even more fun, imo) for a small fraction of what you paid.

#22 11 years ago
    Quoted from StevenP:

Bad advice, esp. for someone on a budget. There are better and more reliable games that can be found (that are even more fun, imo) for a small fraction of what you paid.

Yeah but you stopped short of making your point friend. What can be found?

How about many DE games like LW3, Hook maybe even Baywatch if lucky (Seems like people are snatching that one more lately.).

#23 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballdad:

Yeah but you stopped short of making your point friend. What can be found?
    How about many DE games like LW3, Hook maybe even Baywatch if lucky (Seems like people are snatching that one more lately.).

OK, but I thought other people already made some good suggestions. In the $1k range there are lots of fun SS games, and perhaps some Data East or Sega games. The ones you mentioned, plus ones like Last Action Hero, WWF, etc. I would lean towards the Bally SS games, lots of fun titles. I think the best advice is what categories to look for (era, mfr.) rather than specific titles. If something comes up for sale at a good price, the OP can always ask for opinions on that game!

#24 11 years ago

I vote for system 11 games too. There are some great titles that can be found within the OP's budget.

#25 11 years ago

One thing to also consider is the purchase prise is only part of the total cost. I usually pump at least a couple hundred into any new game with new parts/fixes bulbs etc.

A 1200 dollar game turns into 1800 easy. Then your left thinking what you could of purchased for 2k?

#26 11 years ago
    Quoted from TZBen:

One thing to also consider is the purchase prise is only part of the total cost. I usually pump at least a couple hundred into any new game with new parts/fixes bulbs etc.
    A 1200 dollar game turns into 1800 easy. Then your left thinking what you could of purchased for 2k?

True.. Pinball is an ongoing expenditure, it never ends after the initial purchase. Especially if you play your games alot.

#27 11 years ago
    Quoted from TZBen:

Doesn't always have to be, depending on condition. Bottles of Novus 1&2 are cheap; that, some elbow grease and a bunch of below-pf tweaking and cleaning will go a *long* way towards getting a game playing great at almost zero cost. New rubbers are pretty cheap too; under $20 for a full set for any game I can think of. If there's a budget, I recommend buying the best game in the best mechanical shape you can afford, and doing the shopping out yourself. It's also a good way to get to "know" your game!

Want to pimp it out a bit? Any game will go great with colored bulbs added (inserts and/or GI) that match or complement the adjacent playfield/plastics colors. At $2 per box of 10, this is also a very cheap and easy way to dress up a game (and avoid the annoying flicker/strobe/glare of LEDs!).

The last couple of games I got (WPT for $1950, Mars Trek for $400) needed absolutely no money added to look/play great. And I'm pretty particular about my games.

Quoted from Honch:

True.. Pinball is an ongoing expenditure, it never ends after the initial purchase. Especially if you play your games alot.

Yeah, there will be minor expenses over time, but usually nothing major. Most mechanical parts can be cleaned and adjusted, with only replacement of somecheap components as needed. Or, you can buy pricey full flipper rebuild kits with lots of stuff that actually doesn't need replacing.

I'd be remiss here if I didn't point out that 'alot' is not a word in the English language. *shrug*

#28 11 years ago

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention you're pretentious. BTW, Genius, "somecheap" is not a word.

#29 11 years ago

it was hard for the first machine. But PATIENTS!! is virtue. If you get too excited you could jump on a machine you actually don't like/want.

check out the top list for the best bang for the buck

Also Gottlieb system 3 games are very underrated and cheap to acquire. They are a solid machine, reliable as well. IMO a good first machine. I now have a williams and dislike somethings about it compared to my WW that was a sys 3 gottlieb.

If you can try games on the visualpinball app or in person, good thing to do before buying a full machine out right.

#30 11 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

it was hard for the first machine. But PATIENTS!! is virtue. If you get too excited you could jump on a machine you actually don't like/want.

+1 Not to mention, you might overpay if you're too quick on the trigger.

#31 11 years ago
    Quoted from Honch:

+1 Not to mention, you might overpay if you're too quick on the trigger.

ya....learned that one :/

#32 11 years ago

People have mentioned alot of good games on here. The main thing is there are alot of good games worth buying, alot. So don't get pegged into only a title you have read aboot and heard alot aboot.

#33 11 years ago

A lot of folks have mentioned System 11 games, and if the OP is new to the hobby, I thought it might be nice to list what those would be. Basically, they are pre-DMD (dot matrix display, like Addams Family where animation appears in the score display) games that have just an alpha-numeric score. There are some GREAT System 11s, and if that is your budget, I'd strongly recommend one as well. Here are a few great games that you could probably find that would fit the budget:

- Earthshaker
    - Whirlwind
    - High Speed
    - Taxi

Any of those would be a good first game. Like others have mentioned, if you can be patient, that will help.

And welcome to the sickness.

#34 11 years ago

Thanks everybody for the advice and welcomes!

After a few weeks of constant searching and some heartbreak (seeing a bride of pinbot for 1K disappear before my eyes while I was in class,) I'm pretty set on a judge dredd from another pinside member in my area which I'll be picking up on Monday.

More than I was planning on spending but it seems fair, my student loans will provide enough ramen to last, and I think it will be worth it. Cheers to learning how to transport, maintain, and upgrade...!

#35 11 years ago

Congratulations madcow and welcome to the asylum!

#36 11 years ago

Have a friend that swears by JD, so methinks that is a good choice! Congrats!

#37 11 years ago

Make sure you post a few pics after you get it home.

#38 11 years ago
    Quoted from Honch:

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention you're pretentious. BTW, Genius, "somecheap" is not a word.

I's not 'pretentious' to try to point some people towards better grammar and English usage. And thanks a lot, looks like you gave me the "flaky spacebar" cooties!

#39 11 years ago
    Quoted from madcow:

Thanks everybody for the advice and welcomes!
    After a few weeks of constant searching and some heartbreak (seeing a Bride of Pinbot for 1K disappear before my eyes while I was in class,) I'm pretty set on a Judge Dredd from another pinside member in my area which I'll be picking up on Monday.
    More than I was planning on spending but it seems fair, my student loans will provide enough ramen to last, and I think it will be worth it. Cheers to learning how to transport, maintain, and upgrade...!

JD is a solid game. Funny thing is, it really seems like a Data East game to me--very much in the DE style, with a lot of toys and modes and nonstandard shots, etc.

#40 11 years ago

So, how long before the OP goes after pin number 2? These machines have a way of multiplying.

#41 11 years ago

I give him 2 months

#42 11 years ago
    Quoted from StevenP:

I's not 'pretentious' to try to point some people towards better grammar and English usage. And thanks a lot, looks like you gave me the "flaky spacebar" cooties!

Here is the deal "GLASSHOUSE", if you're gonna go around as though you're the English teacher of this public forum, then your posts better be impeccable. Guess what??? You're not and they aren't. So I guess the real issue here is why do you really do it? As far as I can tell, you discriminate quite a bit on who or what you're willing to correct/critique. I see endless typos, missing comma's and tons of semantical errors on every thread (Which no one gives a rat's ass about BTW). Yet you are strangely quiet, but at the same time, if I miss as much as one comma, or space bar, you're on it like flies on shit . I do have some theories as to why this would be the case and I will speak to this directly. Seeing as how there is something like 250 sub-levels of intelligence, you probably score exceptionally low on pretty much all of the metrics that deal with socializing and etiquette. This would explain (to me anyway) why you come up woefully short when it comes to possessing any tact. It's probably not your fault, it's just the way it is. My other theory is you are still a little "Butt hurt" over the fact that I told you several months ago that I thought the WOZ is a dogshit theme. It's OK, really, we don't all have to love it. Regardless of your affliction Steven, I assure you that I do quite well in my own life and really don't require your "help" in making me a better poster, or a better anything. BTW, I have a sneaking suspicion that others here feel the same way. I would put this up for a poll on the site, but somebody with such low self esteem, such as yourself, might go off the deep end. If you tell me you need to do this because you suffer from an inferiority complex due to always getting picked last in gym class, I can look the other way. Otherwise, Steve, please just piss off.

#43 11 years ago
    Quoted from Honch:

Here is the deal "GLASSHOUSE", if you're gonna go around as though you're the English teacher of this public forum, then your posts better be impeccable. Guess what??? You're not and they aren't. So I guess the real issue here is why do you really do it? As far as I can tell, you discriminate quite a bit on who or what you're willing to correct/critique. I see endless typos, missing comma's and tons of semantical errors on every thread (Which no one gives a rat's ass about BTW). Yet you are strangely quiet, but at the same time, if I miss as much as one comma, or space bar, you're on it like flies on shit . I do have some theories as to why this would be the case and I will speak to this directly. Seeing as how there is something like 250 sub-levels of intelligence, you probably score exceptionally low on pretty much all of the metrics that deal with socializing and etiquette. This would explain (to me anyway) why you come up woefully short when it comes to possessing any tact. It's probably not your fault, it's just the way it is. My other theory is you are still a little "Butt hurt" over the fact that I told you several months ago that I thought the WOZ is a dogshit theme. It's OK, really, we don't all have to love it. Regardless of your affliction Steven, I assure you that I do quite well in my own life and really don't require your "help" in making me a better poster, or a better anything. BTW, I have a sneaking suspicion that others here feel the same way. I would put this up for a poll on the site, but somebody with such low self esteem, such as yourself, might go off the deep end. If you tell me you need to do this because you suffer from an inferiority complex due to always getting picked last in gym class, I can look the other way. Otherwise, Steve, please just piss off.

You give yourself wa-a-a-a-ay too much credit. Do you really think I'm stalking you? (This actually made me laugh.) I have no clue who you are! (To be honest, I thought you were the Honda 350 guy for a moment.) Had no idea you dissed the WOZ theme--many people have and still do. Whatever. And no, I didn't get picked on in gym class, and I can handle myself just fine to this day. Brains and brawn are not mutually exclusive.

That said, it does annoy me to a degree to see the same handful of semi-literate mistakes typed over and over again. Maybe because I've been practicing 2 professions where proper and precise language are critical, but this stuff really is an irritant while reading. (And yes, I've spent a lot of time editing write-ups as well.) Stuff like their/there/they're, alot, definatly, rediculous, loose, your/you're, etc. Not rocket science. Yet point these mistakes to a transgressor, and instead of taking 5 seconds to learn something and avoid the mistake in the future, a large number of people just get PO'd and stubbornly stick to making the same mistakes over and over.

I'm sure you do quite well. And I'm sure I'm a tactless social inept. (I added that last one so people who know me could have a chuckle.)

EDIT: I'll be fair here. I thought I'd review your various forum posts so your belief that I'm picking on you specifically would come true. And I'll admit, your writing is generally quite good, better than the average around these parts. (drat! foiled again!) And, WOZ aside (I still don't know how it'll play but I think the theme may be good for pinball), we seem to have generally similar tastes in games. Ah well. You up for a beer at PAPA?

#44 11 years ago

What is it I give myself to much credit for exactly? Stalking??? Please!!! Now you're just putting words in my mouth. You are clearly missing the point of my post. In a professional/educational setting, you can bet your ass that I'll be as thorough and proper that the situation would require. BUT.... (yeah that's a big but) this is not that type of environment. So please, don't act like you were unaware that you have tried to "help" (help being used loosely)me on here, a handful of times. Let me be clear, in the event that I have a so-called "transgression" it is either because of the informal nature of forums or apathy. Either way it doesn't require your input. I realize that you're incredibly intellectual vain and will disregard anything here of value. The reality is, you need to give it a rest. I know you won't, so I will.

Quoted from StevenP:

I'm sure you do quite well. And I'm sure I'm a tactless social inept. (I added that last one so people who know me could have a chuckle.)

I do, and as far as this forum is concerned, you are. They're probably chuckling alright, but not because they think your facetious comment is clever.

#45 11 years ago

#46 11 years ago
    Quoted from mickthepin:

I give him 2 months

Until what ? 2nd pin.waking at 4AM to check Mr pinball,starting the ultimate game room design,convincing the wife they are "good investments" ?

#47 11 years ago

Madcow hasnt posted for a few days. Must be shopping for pin number 2.....3......4....

#48 11 years ago
    Quoted from StevenP:

You up for a beer at PAPA?

I don't have any clout on the arguing side of this, but I'm ALWAYS up for a beer at PAPA.

As for the OP's need for a cheap game, that was my budget for pins when I got mine, and I went over that budget, and regret nothing. If that price range has to be firm, then I'd look into getting an EM or two for that price, then you'll have twice the games. If you can chip in a few extra hundred, you'll get a DMD, and maybe it will not need fixing right away, or for a long time. Just keep it clean.

Post edited by Blakesell : To stay on topic

#49 11 years ago

lol... If only I had money for a 2nd pin... and space.

Ended up getting my Judge Dredd though!

And how long can I play without worrying about cleaning it and whatnot? I think it's been kept up pretty well (by another pinsider) so far...some scratches/minor wear on the cabinet, just a few lamps out (I've got replacements on the way already!) and the spinning world kind of sticks/pauses every 8 seconds...nothing is physically obstructing it so I'm not sure what the issue is. I've got a video of it but not sure where/how to post it...

IMG_1523.JPGIMG_1523.JPG IMG_1530.JPGIMG_1530.JPG IMG_1531.JPGIMG_1531.JPG

#50 11 years ago

Congrats on the JD!!!!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/recommendations-for-first-pinball-machine-purchase and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.