Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by terryb
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider terryb.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 11 years ago

Not too much difference in logic probes when testing older equipment like pinballs. BK Precision makes a decent one. Also, Elenco or Tenma are OK. HP makes a good one, but not worth the extra expense in my opinion.

The Tenma manual sucks (but there's not a lot you need to know anyways), not sure about the Elenco.

Depending on how the lights are used some peopler prefer one brand over another, but they all give the info you need.

I would not go with one that has batteries in it. It limits your purchasing options and doesn't add anything. There's always Vcc and ground test points available. In fact the fancier models will set TTL/CMOS based on the input voltages.

If you want to be able to inject a signal into the circuit get one with a pulser.

#11 11 years ago

It does both. Amazon also carries it at the same price.

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from pinstyle:

confermed, BK DP-31A does not act as a pulse reader/pulse generator, 31A only generates a pulse and is read by their other models.

Just found the datasheets and you are correct. I've never seen one before that only did pulses. Live and learn.

Anyways, the Elenco will do what you want since it looks like the BK probes/pulsers jump up in price quite a bit.

#21 11 years ago

It is not audible. I've never considered that an important issue and most of the companies that made audible logic probes in the past have discontinued them. I'm sure you could look around and find one, but there's none I'm familiar with.

2 weeks later
    #23 10 years ago

Don't waste your money. It (and other similar products) do not have decent input circuitry (among other problems) and are basically nothing more than a toy.

See the following blog on cheap o-scopes (my favorite blogger by the way):

http://www.eevblog.com/2010/05/11/eevblog-86-buy-a-real-analog-oscilloscope-please/

In my mind an oscilloscope and a logic probe serve different purposes. A logic probe is kind of like using the diode/continuity mode on your DMM. I just want a quick go/no-go decision. Is there a pulse, and is it high or low? That's all I need to know.

On the other hand I use my oscilloscope when I really want to dig down and see what the waveform looks like.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider terryb.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/recommendation-for-logic-probe?tu=terryb and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.