Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 61 posts
  • 52 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by Mr68
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20230926_172250 (resized).jpg
    Pinside_forum_7754112_2 (resized).jpg

There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 5 months ago

I love fast-playing intense games which most of higher ranked pinball machines are. These machines are fun to spend hours on weekend nights.

But on weekdays, I tend to look for something more "chill" for a quick 15 minutes break or after a stressful day of work. Something I can play without spending much brain power on, and yet has some satisfying shots and help me decompress for the day.

#2 5 months ago

Fathom?

#3 5 months ago
    Quoted from gnocchi_pesto:

I love fast-playing intense games which most of higher ranked pinball machines are. These machines are fun to spend hours on weekend nights.
    But on weekdays, I tend to look for something more "chill" for a quick 15 minutes break or after a stressful day of work. Something I can play without spending much brain power on, and yet has some satisfying shots and help me decompress for the day.

It’s funny that I’m reading this post now because I was just thinking earlier today that most of my games are fast-paced and a bit intense. But my Scooby is all about making good shots to solve a case. It’s more about precision than high energy intensity…and that’s great. It’s a really fun, lighthearted game. Given what you’re looking for, I’d say Scooby would be ideal for you.

#4 5 months ago

Iron Man.

Shoots like butter, easy to combo ramps, not much depth to the code so very minor thinking required, and readily available for a reasonable price… sometimes you play for a minute sometimes you play for 15.

That’s been my quick fix happy place for the past 8 years.

#5 5 months ago

What's your range of "modern?"

Fun atmosphere and long ball times include: Hobbit, Batman 66, Indiana Jones (Williams), Elvira HOH, Munsters, Toy Story, Lebowski, Cactus Canyon.

I'd say Beatles is a fun, chill Saturday night game, but that spinning disc often makes me want to break things.

#6 5 months ago

BKSOR Pro. It’s a fast game, but the rules are easy to follow with great flow. Fight monsters, shoot stuff, super chill.

#7 5 months ago

I say buy an early solid state. Something wide body. I like playing those when my brain is tired. YMMV

#8 5 months ago
    Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Iron Man.
    Shoots like butter, easy to combo ramps, not much depth to the code so very minor thinking required, and readily available for a reasonable price… sometimes you play for a minute sometimes you play for 15.
    That’s been my quick fix happy place for the past 8 years.

Iron Man is more chill?? I beg to differ. That game is spectacular but all adrenaline baby.

As for a “chill” game, I’ve got one…..Family Guy.
    Hear me out, just about my whole collection is based off intensity, difficulty and strategy.
    I’ve got about 15 games set up at my work. (No I’m not a pinball broker.)
    When I got a lot on my mind, this is the game I go to. Plus it makes me laugh. And it’s simple.
    Guardians of the Galaxy is another simple and fun game.

#9 5 months ago

Pick any one of your machines to be your chill game. Lower the pitch to about 5 degrees. Bam. You'll be very relaxed.

You're welcome.

#10 5 months ago
    Quoted from kklank:

Iron Man is more chill?? I beg to differ. That game is spectacular but all adrenaline baby.

I was thinking chill in short bursts haha, IDK why but it always relaxes me!

For longer bursts I also really dig Elvira and Toy Story… something about easy to hit ramps calms me down I guess!

#11 5 months ago

kklank good call on Family Guy! I’m also going to add Monster Bash and the Sopranos to the pile

#12 5 months ago

Fathom is actually a really good idea as noted above, nice and refreshing. Good calm music, nice lighting effects on the feet.. pretty much like a massage.

#13 5 months ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

BKSOR Pro. It’s a fast game, but the rules are easy to follow with great flow. Fight monsters, shoot stuff, super chill.

One of the locations in my area has a BKSOR pro set at low incline, and I enjoy it more. It becomes a precision game

#14 5 months ago

Stranger Things. It may play a bit longer than what you’re looking for but you don’t have to think about the rules at all and the audio package doesn’t hype you up

#15 5 months ago

Elvira HoH is pretty chill, according to my father in-law. Especially after four to twelve beers.

#16 5 months ago

Most JJPs, Lord of the Rings, Cactus Canyon and Elvira HoH.

You need a pin set up so, even if you mess up, you don't drain.

That certainly doesn't cover some of the suggestions on here, such as Iron Man (once described to me as 'a knife fight in a phone booth in a pinball machine')!!!

#17 5 months ago

Woz, everything about it puts you in a chill mood.

#18 5 months ago

There is no more relaxing game than Silver Falls:

…Except when you get to the wizard mode!

#19 5 months ago

Maybe Attack from Mars? Typically has longer ball times, smooth shooting, and the rules are easy to follow and work through.

#20 5 months ago

I know it’s not a modern machine, but in my all-EM collection, visitors often gravitate to Grand Prix. There’s something very satisfying and relaxing about ripping the spinners, and the ball times are shorter, like on most EMs. One non-pinhead visitor started playing Grand Prix and said, “This would be my therapy!”

#21 5 months ago

I'm a big fan of Stern Mustang in these circumstances.

Quick games, fast player.
    Easy to learn - yet hard to master rules, with a good risk/reward feature.

Paragon will always be my old school go to for a quickie.

#22 5 months ago

Most any cocktail pin. When I play Star Trip I immediately take the energy down a few notches.

Quoted from Mudflaps:

I think you're a jerk for suggesting this It is literally the only game that I've ever played that generated actually rage to well up deep inside of me. The base sound track is fast paced "metal". I owned it for a few hundred plays and never felt "good" playing it (although I did hit the wizard mode a few times).

#23 5 months ago

For modern games I’d say Spider Man. It can play a bit long but it’s just satisfying flow for days. Great game to just get in the zone and shoot on.

#24 5 months ago

I'd like to add Riverboat Gambler to the list of most relaxing games.
    The roulette wheel and "Pick a color" is always fun.

#25 5 months ago

Congo is the most chill game I can think of. Great shots and fun modes. Goofy, B-movie theme with jungle vibes. There is not much strategy or anything complicated so you just play things out and have fun.

#26 5 months ago

Monster Bash and Elvira HoH are the first two that came to mind. MB is very chill and fun. With only four balls in the trough you never get a barrage during a multiball (the most balls in an MB, IIRC, is three). With MB and EHoH, the shots are further up the PF so you have more time to react when they come down or shoot up. AFM is like that too.

I find Medieval Madness to be fun and relaxing also. Something about those CGC remakes, I guess.

I haven't played Big Lebowski, but that SHOULD be a chill game, LoL.

#27 5 months ago

Who?Dunnit

Easy but fun shots, fun cases to solve, GREAT post game music... very relaxing.

I miss it!

#28 5 months ago

Define modern. Slow games? Hobbit & G&R. Simple games without rediculous scoring strategies that are fun and can have quicker games? Whirlwind/Fish Tales. Longer games that are more chill? Stern's Kapow Games BM66 and Elvira would fit that bill... maybe Beatles too depending on what you are looking for. I've got a Monster Bash in a temp trade right now and it is a longer playing game too without too much strategy. Kid friendly too.

#29 5 months ago

I like CFTBL for a fun more laidback pinball experience. The drive-in movie theme is reminiscent of my childhood and for some reason I don’t get stressed when I play. MB is also fun and does not apply to much pressure on you to make critical shots.

#30 5 months ago

Personally I think The Big Lebowski is slower paced and more relaxing than most games.

#31 5 months ago

Surprised that nobody includes whitewater.

The tinkly little music...

#32 5 months ago

Big agree on Congo! I'd also say Diner. That corny music and silly speech just puts a relaxed smile on my face and 15 minutes is plenty of time for a great game or two.

#33 5 months ago

Bad Cats with its smooth groove soundtrack gets a vote from me as well.

#34 5 months ago

Cactus Canyon. It's EASY. And mellow.

Iron Man?! Really? I would call it many things but "relaxing" wouldn't be one of them.

#35 5 months ago

The Beatles

#36 5 months ago

Another vote for CFTBL. Simple and fun.

#37 5 months ago

Beatles, WH20, getaway, Zep, fish tales, Elvira HOH.

#38 5 months ago

#39 5 months ago
    Quoted from arcyallen:

Most any cocktail pin. When I play Star Trip I immediately take the energy down a few notches.

I think you're a jerk for suggesting this It is literally the only game that I've ever played that generated actually rage to well up deep inside of me. The base sound track is fast paced "metal". I owned it for a few hundred plays and never felt "good" playing it (although I did hit the wizard mode a few times).

One man’s rage is another man’s mellow.

#40 5 months ago

Prob something like a CGC game - CC MM MB AFM would work. Not too hard, not too fast, just right with some smiles chuckles along the way.

Sterns? I would lean more DMD like POTC SM LOTR over newer. The newer Sterns are exciting with their speed, lightning and sounds and lean more difficult rules. I wouldn’t describe them as Chill.

I think DP which you have and AFM next to each other would be pretty darn awesome

Good luck “chilling”

#41 5 months ago

Cook up and eat a pound of angel hair and pesto. You will be relaxed if you polish that off!

#42 5 months ago

I temporarily donated my LZPro to the gameroom at my workplace; I closed up the outlanes and set the game to ‘Easy’ difficulty for the non pinball crowd that would play. I just brought it back home yesterday (swapped in HW for October) and decided to play a game with the easy setup. I really enjoyed it…simple, good flow, and I could focus on progressing through the tours and building the multipliers without fast drains! I think I’m going to keep it like this for a while.

#43 5 months ago

I think pinball in itself is relaxing as long as you're there to just have fun and not add to the HS table.
    However, if by relaxing you mean slower paced I also give a nod to the hobbit. With everything so far away, always time in between flipper and ball (until a MB starts). Being a wide body you get a little float on the ball. An incredibly underated/overlooked title with a metric butt ton of modes (22?) IIRC
    It's so different from everything else it's hard to get into until you spend a good deal of time with it and appreciate not only how different but the experience it provides.

#44 5 months ago

Relaxing and modern game feels like an oxymoron. They are designed to be spectacles, with loud noises, high speed balls, and strobing light shows. Not too mention extremely complex rules.

Get you a Stern Electronic and feel the good vibes!

#45 5 months ago

I'd say WOZ or big melons pinball

#46 5 months ago

Of the games I own, I think Dialed In is the most relaxing to me. The softer (less snappy) JJP flippers probably play into that.

#47 5 months ago

Yacht Rock Metallica. Doesn't get any more relaxing or better playing than that...

Pinside_forum_7754112_2 (resized).jpgPinside_forum_7754112_2 (resized).jpg
    #48 5 months ago

My hands down, run away winner is, ROC's
    Sorry I couldn't get a better picture.

20230926_172250 (resized).jpg20230926_172250 (resized).jpg
    #49 5 months ago

Cactus Canyon remake is a no brainer. Fun

Have a 6 pack of beer and any game becomes “chill”.

#50 5 months ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

Who?Dunnit
    Easy but fun shots, fun cases to solve, GREAT post game music... very relaxing.
    I miss it!

There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/recommend-me-some-relaxing-modern-pinball-machines and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.