(Topic ID: 36979)

Recommend a pin for my autistic son

By nosro

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 11 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

super sonic

I like that idea.

#52 11 years ago

I would like to publicly thank Clay Harrell. I may be a newb at pinball (a grand total of two weeks of ownership), but if it weren't for him, I would not be a pinball owner at all.

Clay privately opened his collection to my son with cognitive impairments to browse through. He understood his needs and patiently explained what play design characteristics to look for and why. He advised me on which specific pins to seek and which to avoid. He did all this for a newb, a non-pinhead, who has little to give back except the occasional repair business and additional time consuming questions.

I realize that as a newcomer, my judgments amount to nothing, but anyone who says that Clay is anything other than a positive influence on the hobby is itching for a fight with me.

#53 11 years ago

How about Gottlieb Circus?

It's a 'wide-body' beast of a pin but the art is Gordon Morison awesome and the choice of two different bippity-boop sounds packages is great. Five flippers and a roto-target. System 80 designed by Ed Krynski. Only 1700 made though. Great flow and good fun ... and usually cheap! http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=515

Gottlieb's Amazing Spider-man might be another 'wide-body' consideration, especially if he likes super heroes: http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2285

... and maybe even Atari Superman 'wide-body' pin, if you can find a working one: http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2454

Good luck!

Not my videos but decent gameplay overviews:

#54 11 years ago
    Quoted from nosro:

I would like to publicly thank Clay Harrell. I may be a newb at pinball (a grand total of two weeks of ownership), but if it weren't for him, I would not be a pinball owner at all.

Good for you! Welcome aboard, and I hope your son will enjoy this Pin as well. As a side benefit, you may enjoy it as well.

There are good guys on that forum. Glad you found one.

#55 11 years ago

That's really cool of Clay to do. I hope your son has a good time and it's a great way to bond as well.

My daughter also used to be overwhelmed with crowds and loud noises. When she was younger I had to disable the knocker coils because she would run out of the room with her hands over her ears. She's come a long way and it doesn't bother her anymore. I hope it goes the same for you.

Good luck and have fun!

#56 11 years ago
    Quoted from nosro:

I would like to publicly thank Clay Harrell. Clay privately opened his collection to my son with cognitive impairments to browse through. He understood his needs and patiently explained what play design characteristics to look for and why.

Awesome! Hope it works out, sounds like it will. My 13 year old son is autistic and The Addams Family is his favorite out of my collection.

#57 11 years ago
    Quoted from nosro:

currently see a Stern Galaxy ($1200), two (?!) Cleopatras ($700), and a Flash ($1200) in my area. Any thoughts on these?

Norso, take your son up to The Sharks Club in Howell, go during the daytime; they are usually very slow at that time. I believe they have 70 games up there now from all era's.

It wont be noisy and it wont be crowded you may have the place pretty much to yourself.

Due this before guessing or getting someone else's opinion. The only one who knows is your son, experiment more before you plunk down cash. Howell should be about 20minutes from your house.

good luck,
    Scott
    Detroit Pinball

There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/recommend-a-pin-for-my-autistic-son/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.