jon-voight-anaconda-creepy-face.gif
Aws18r.gif
Wakanda Forever (resized).jpg
Atlas (resized).jpg
Image (resized).jpeg
IMG_6202 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_6188 (resized).jpeg
There are 514 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 11.
#451 46 days ago
Quoted from Mrbill:

part 3 in 2 years. I watched dune part 2 15 min after it was up to watch.

It’ll be longer than a 2 year wait.

#452 46 days ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

As a warning, this one's pretty gross.
I watched it tonight, not a big fan overall, but The Menu is a good comp. If you liked that one, this one is probably up your alley.

Regarding Triangle of sadness:

Yes, not sure if that Asian lady was also in ‘The Menu’ but looks similar.

I could have done without the seasick scenes, that was gratuitous. But overall somewhat ok movie.

A lot of movies I’ll watch and forget about in a minute but some will have me thinking the movie wasn’t that great when I was watching it but then later on I’d think about it and maybe think better than when I was watching it.

I guess the point is typically shit flows downhill, but then this event happens and things get reversed.

A reflection on how ‘beautiful people’ live on easy mode and rich people can be super douchey.

If you did like Triangle or The Menu, there’s another similar one called ‘The Platform’ but that’s more sci-fi or horror leaning.

#453 46 days ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

My son chose White Men cant jump the new one on Hulu.I had low expectations,turned out funny as heck.

But how does it compare to the original?

#454 46 days ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

But how does it compare to the original?

Everything is different,I like the origional better,This new one seems to be
a lower budget redo but it has some good moments and quite a few laughs
with some drama and the new one explains the past and characters better.

#455 46 days ago

Watched "Boy Kills World" last nite, kinda a "Kill Bill" vibe, cartoonish bloodshed. Family executed, boy raised as killing machine, rains vengeance upon all. Rinse and repeat.

#456 45 days ago

Anyone watched Atlas yet? Before I renew my Netflix subscription.
The trailers looked promising and they spent $100 million, but the reviews seem terrible.

Atlas (resized).jpgAtlas (resized).jpg

#457 44 days ago

A movie that I have been avoiding because I did not think I would like it. Well it turned out to be a good watch with a good plot-who knew? I actually liked it better than Avatar films and I liked it better than the original Black Panther movie.

Wakanda Forever (resized).jpgWakanda Forever (resized).jpg
#458 44 days ago
Quoted from pinmister:

A movie that I have been avoiding because I did not think I would like it. Well it turned out to be a good watch with a good plot-who knew? I actually liked it better than Avatar films and I liked it better than the original Black Panther movie.[quoted image]

Agreed. I liked it way better than the original BP. First one had a great villain, but was kinda dull otherwise. Second one was really engaging all the way through. Angela Bassett absolutely rules in it.

#459 44 days ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Well it turned out to be a good watch with a good plot

It also is a crank it up surround sound film for you home theatre junkies. I just upgraded my old bookshelf KEF's to the newer version ones-big difference in the lows. Some of the scenes had really low bass tones that were sustained-love when the walls shake

#460 44 days ago
Quoted from OzPaul:

The trailers looked promising and they spent $100 million, but the reviews seem terrible.
[quoted image]

I added it to the list yesterday, I'll try to squeeze it in this weekend and give a review.

#461 44 days ago

My wife and I watched The Idea of You the other night.

I thought it was excellent. My wife said it was so so.

#462 44 days ago
Quoted from OzPaul:

Haven't seen it (I canceled Netflix), but I'm pretty sure that you'd have a better time just (re)watching Anaconda. Prime J.Lo and Jon Voight is entirely off the chain.

#463 44 days ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Haven't seen it (I canceled Netflix), but I'm pretty sure that you'd have a better time just (re)watching Anaconda. Prime J.Lo and John Voight is entirely off the chain.

Aws18r.gifAws18r.gif
#464 44 days ago
jon-voight-anaconda-creepy-face.gifjon-voight-anaconda-creepy-face.gif
#465 41 days ago
Quoted from OzPaul:

[quoted image]

I guess I sort of enjoyed atlas. J lo is not shining in her light these days. I’m Not sure I find her a convincing actress. This may be the ultimate flaw in the film to me.

Not horrible but 100 million. I’m not sure I would have green lit that at Netflix myself.

To be clear I’m not saying she did a bad job in the role. I’m biased maybe.

#466 41 days ago

Dune 2 on the other hand. It will win more than ten Oscar awards. Part one won 12 already so it’s not a stretch.

Fashionable too.

IMG_2213 (resized).jpegIMG_2213 (resized).jpegIMG_2214 (resized).jpegIMG_2214 (resized).jpeg
#467 41 days ago
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#468 41 days ago

Godzilla Minus Zero just showed up on Netflix in Japanese and in English. Honestly, it is in the top 3 movies I've seen in the past 3 years. Solid Recommendation.

#469 41 days ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Godzilla Minus Zero just showed up on Netflix in Japanese and in English. Honestly, it is in the top 3 movies I've seen in the past 3 years. Solid Recommendation.

Definitely deserved more than just a nomination (and win) for best visual effects. Really was a great movie.

#470 41 days ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

Definitely deserved more than just a nomination (and win) for best visual effects. Really was a great movie.

My brother hated it. I thought it was good, but not a 98 good.

The visual effects I thought were lacking! when godzilla walking on land, it almost looks like stop motion photography, very stiff. At other times, godzilla looked very agile.

#471 41 days ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

Dune 2 on the other hand. It will win more than ten Oscar awards. Part one won 12 already so it’s not a stretch.
Fashionable too.
[quoted image][quoted image]

sequels, tend to come up short in the oscars. I think dune 2 if a fine film, but I think 10 is a stretch.

#472 41 days ago
Quoted from Mrbill:

The visual effects I thought were lacking! when godzilla walking on land, it almost looks like stop motion photography, very stiff. At other times, godzilla looked very agile.

Obviously, with an Oscar win, you're in the minority -

I know what you're talking about, like the wide shots where he's walking through the city - I thought that kinda expressed his size and weight though. Something that big cant run (unlike in the latest rainbow color-infused American Godzilla/Kong fiasco, which looks like a video game). I'm pretty critical of CGI effects, and aside from a couple moments when he attacks the battleship and the water is spraying (water is one of the hardest things to model) I thought it looked about as real as it could. I saw the color version twice and the black and white version once at the theater.

#473 41 days ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

Fashionable too.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Dune Part One had 10 nominations and won 6 Oscars.

Only 4 films have ever won 10 or more. Ben-Hur, Titanic, LOTR: Return of the King each won 11. The original West Side Story won 10.

I loved Dune Part Two as well, but the likelihood of it winning 10+ Oscars is near zero.

#474 41 days ago
Quoted from Mrbill:

Quoted from pinzrfun:

I know what you're talking about, like the wide shots where he's walking through the city - I thought that kinda expressed his size and weight though. Something that big cant run (unlike in the latest rainbow color-infused American Godzilla/Kong fiasco, which looks like a video game). I'm pretty critical of CGI effects, and aside from a couple moments when he attacks the battleship and the water is spraying (water is one of the hardest things to model) I thought it looked about as real as it could. I saw the color version twice and the black and white version once at the theater.

Godzilla Minus One had a budget of 15 million dollars. Godzilla Vs Kong: The new empire (most recent USA produced Godzilla Movie) had an estimated budget of 150 million dollars.

So not only did the Japanese film have better looking special effects (my expert judgement)... it did so on 1/10th the budget.

Also... watched it with my 7 and 10 year old. They both loved it.

#475 41 days ago

My kids and I loved Godzilla Minus One. One of the best movies I've seen in recent years.

I also recently watched "Everybody Wants Some!!" on Prime recently and really enjoyed it. Its an older movie but somehow it flew under my radar. It's from the same director as Dazed and Confused.

et00040435-hjagefswhe-portrait (resized).jpget00040435-hjagefswhe-portrait (resized).jpg
#476 41 days ago

Cool, I’ve been wanting to see Godzilla Minus One which has been nearly impossible. Will check that out soon.

As far as Dune 2, from the perspective of a fan of all of the novels, and at least IMO, it was a sickening punch in the guts. Total garbage from beginning to end. Sorry to go against the waves.

#477 41 days ago
Quoted from Mrbill:

sequels, tend to come up short in the oscars. I think dune 2 if a fine film, but I think 10 is a stretch.

This will be fun to watch. I thought part two was a better film. It’s great to see the level of detail.

#478 41 days ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

It was good effects for its budget, but were the special effects better than guardians of the galaxy 3, the creator, mission impossible dead reckoning, or napoleon? For the dollars spent, probably. but it’s not a biggest bang for the buck award, It’s for best. But the Oscar’s are so biased against big budget movies (especially comic book movies), that it was almost a win by default.

My other complaint was the revisionist history of the Japanese people to an anti war pro life stance. One Japanese soldier in the phillipines was fighting ww2 until 1974. They were pretty unified in their beliefs, choosing suicide over surrender.

Again, I am not saying its a bad film, I am saying its not a 98. I would say more like an 80. 2024 was not a good year for films. I mean Oppenheimer, Barbie, and poor things were the big winners.

#479 40 days ago

Just watched ’The first Omen’ on Hulu they have all the Omen movies as well.

The first Omen is a prelude to 'the Omen' and leads up to the first scene in the original.

Overall the first omen worth watching if you’re a fan of the Omen.

As always be careful of the trailer because it gives a lot away.

#480 39 days ago

I never watch trailers, myself. Because of the spoilers.

I tend to go more by recommendations like yours.

Unless I’m waiting years for the film. Like perhaps any upcoming dune projects. I will watch that trailer.

IMG_2156 (resized).jpegIMG_2156 (resized).jpeg

#481 39 days ago

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. WWII movie but not really war based. Great, great film.

#482 39 days ago

Godzilla minus one ,........ Ehhhhh

#483 37 days ago
Quoted from PinSpinner:

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. WWII movie but not really war based. Great, great film.

I though you were describing Jojo Rabbit, but I see that's a different movie. Anyway Jojo Rabbit is a great anti-war comedy drama.

#484 35 days ago

Just watched 'Everything everywhere all at once'

I didn't like it a bit, I thought it would be ok but it was totally a mess IMO and it must've only gotten made and praised from the academy awards because of woke inclusive agenda.

#485 35 days ago
Quoted from rai:

I didn't like it a bit, I thought it would be ok but it was totally a mess IMO and it must've only gotten made and praised from the academy awards because of woke inclusive agenda.

Sounds like a movie not to recommend?

#486 35 days ago

Have you tried The Room. Best film ever.

#487 35 days ago
Quoted from gandamack:

Have you tried The Room. Best film ever.

Just saw it, it was so bad it’s good.

#488 34 days ago
Quoted from rai:

Didn't like it either at all

#489 34 days ago
Quoted from poppapin:

Sounds like a movie not to recommend?

Which is just as valuable to me.....

#490 33 days ago

well I loved Civil War. Maybe too political for some here, but very powerful film for me.

#491 33 days ago

Hit Man is still in theaters but I think it's also up on Netflix now. I wasn't quite as in love with it as the NY Times, but thought it was an enjoyable rom-com with enough of that Linklater charm to make it worth two hours of your time.

#492 33 days ago

Watched Reptile on Netflix, well worth the time

#493 32 days ago

I just finished the original Omen trilogy on Hulu.

I really didn’t remember 2&3 maybe I never watched them before.

As expected the Omen (1) was far better than 2&3. It’s fine if you are curious what happened after the iconic scene at the end of the Omen, but it’s not great they’re almost like TV movies. Much like the Exorcist series don’t expect a lot from the sequels.

The first omen (prequel) is actually above average.

#494 32 days ago

Well watching the movie trailer had me excited about it but then I watched the movie-I was deeply disappointed and it was agonizing trying to get through it. I do not recommend and the only thing the movie has going for it is a few 80's classic songs and a scene chopping a guys slong off. Do not waste your time with this garbage...
Lisa (resized).jpgLisa (resized).jpg

#495 32 days ago

I enjoyed Push

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#496 30 days ago

I just watched ‘The lost City’

It’s a rom-com with Sandra Bullock and Chaning Tatum. It’s the second time I’ve watched it, was good by my opinion but my wife just thought it was OK.

It’s got something of a ‘Romancing the Stone’ vibe and Brad Pitt has a hilarious part as well.

IMG_6275 (resized).jpegIMG_6275 (resized).jpeg

#497 27 days ago

Boys in the Boat was very good

#498 27 days ago
Quoted from rai:

I just watched ‘The lost City’

Not to go all DanQ on you, but looks like The Lost City is currently streaming free on Hulu and Paramount+ (presumably both with ads depending on your subscription tier).

#499 21 days ago

watched IF "imaginary friends" on amazon ($15 to rent, because still in theaters). Starts out a little slow, but it gets pretty imaginative.. reminded me of "what dreams may come" a little.

#500 21 days ago

Watched "Ready or Not", i think originally on Apple - woman marrying into a rich family, and their tradition is to play a game on the wedding night. She randomly selects hide-and-seek, and when she goes to hide the family loads up w weapons and starts hunting her in the mansion.

Some comic bloodshed, but not the worst 90 minutes i've ever spent.

There are 514 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 11.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.