Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 64 posts
  • 55 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by DaveH
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 2 years ago

A while ago I sold a HUO T2, and now I'm missing it. I've been buying newer Stern and Spooky games lately, but they are more on the rule-heavy side and aren't anything like the simpler gameplay of T2.

I really liked T2 for a few fast, flowy games. I want something different from my newer games where I can get in the groove and not get too bogged down in complex rules.

Some of the games I've been wondering about, but have not played much:

GOT Pro - I think this has a lot more rule-based strategy with the houses, but may still fit the bill as a flowy Ritchie game.

Getaway - I remember the Supercharger being fast and cool, but don't remember much of the rest of the play-style.

Johnny Mnemonic - I've heard the glove slows the game down, but that it's otherwise fast and fun.

No Fear - I think this might be TOO much flow. Haven't played much, but I feel like it was just loops and loops and loops. (probably not interested)

I'm open to other suggestions.

#2 2 years ago

Star Trek Pro
Super fast and flow

#3 2 years ago

AC/DC. Similar layout and a canon

#4 2 years ago
#5 2 years ago

JDJP fanboy, so keep that in mind, but have you flipped on the Jurassic Park Home pin yet?

#6 2 years ago

LW3 is a direct rip off of T2. Kaminkow loved to do that with all his DE games.

#7 2 years ago

Terminator 3 is kind of the same in X and Y coordinates with a slightly larger rulesheet compared to T2

#8 2 years ago

Before I finished reading the OP,’I thought of Getaway

#9 2 years ago

Stern Star Wars, same designer and similar layout if you like the theme

#10 2 years ago

Stern Star Trek. Another Steve Ritchie pin. Maybe GOT or LZ.

#11 2 years ago

Look at his collection, he owns SW and has owned a Star Trek

#12 2 years ago

Maybe something like Indy 500?

#13 2 years ago

Fish Tales and Indy500 have that instant action, multiball in a few shots.
Johnny Mnemonic for sure, you can disable hand in the meny and it has a slightly different code for it which I actually even prefer, I mainly play it with hand disabled. And hand is often disabled at tournaments. I looove left ramp, spinner, loop pass, repeat. Great fun simple rules IMHO.

#14 2 years ago

If you liked T2, then I’d recommend T3. It’s a fun underrated Stern title that you don’t see often. I played one recently on location and enjoyed it

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from tilt-master:

Stern Star Wars, same designer and similar layout if you like the theme

SW and GOT are two of the more complex Ritchie games rules-wise imo - I definitely wouldn't consider them on the simple side like T2...

Black Knight: Sword of Rage is more in the T2 style, imo. Fun game with a good bit more to do than T2, but all pretty straight forward goals.

Most any System 11 and many WPC games are pretty similar to T2 as well.

#16 2 years ago

+1 for the LW3

It is fast, fun to rip the spinners to work up the UZI modes, and has a good balance of flow and shooting with the 1,2,3 shots and working up the movie scenes. The target practice video mode is really fun and a little challenging if you want to get the most points. If you want a relatively simple game with just enough depth this would be it.

#17 2 years ago

T-3 or Acdc

#18 2 years ago

+1 for JM. The glove slow down isn't a big deal. It's fun to shoot and the orbits/ramps feel like T2. Scoring is off balance but it's a cool theme IMO. Sometimes I miss it.

#19 2 years ago

Black Rose? Pretty fast and the canon is similar to the gun on T2.

#20 2 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I guess what I liked about T2 was it was easy to understand, and pretty easy to shoot. So if I wanted to go down and bat the ball around for a few minutes before I had to be somewhere, you could get some good flow going (alternating ramps was really fun) but the game wasn't so easy that you'd play for very long.

LOL @ LW3. I'm not sure I've ever seen or paid attention to this game. That's hilarious how much of a ripoff the layout it. It doesn't look like it has the right ramp, so the alternating ramp thing looks to be out.

Re: Stern Star Trek - I'm a Star Trek nerd, but for some reason I couldn't get into that game. I had an LE, and it was one of the shortest tenure games I've owned. Didn't have enough Star Trek personality to connect with me, and the mode start shots were hard. It definitely didn't feel as approachable to me.

Maybe I'll look at T3, haven't thought about that game in a while. SHOOT HERE AND HERE. If memory serves, the shots were a bit narrower than T2 and that made it a bit clunkier, but I might be misremembering.

Getaway and Indy500 were on a short-list of wanting to check them out again. I wasn't sure if they scratch the same itch as T2 or not. I like the idea of racing games, but I haven't played much Indy at all. Really not familiar with the gameplay. Getaway seems like the same level of simple as T2 to me, but I can't remember how fun that game is, or if it would have much staying power.

#21 2 years ago

Fish Tales and Getaway are both comparable depth wise. Also both are fast and challenging like t2. I enjoy them all but would give an edge to FT and Getaway over T2. More variety in shots and just a bit more depth to keep things fun.

#22 2 years ago

I agree with Getaway.
Iron Man also reminds me of T2 play.

#23 2 years ago

Ac/Dc
STpro
Got Pro
stay away from Jhonny Mnemonic ,The glove always has a gremlin in the code or not working some way. love the tic tac toe and the Crane concept but always a problem with glove

#24 2 years ago

I would go with JM or T3. JM is so fast paced, I used to love watching players just walk away after a ball or 2. LW3 gets my honorable mention. If you like that wide open playfield, stick with what what works and what others have been suggesting.

#25 2 years ago

Anything by Steve Ritchie. I vote Stern Star Trek.

#26 2 years ago

Black Knight Sword Of Rage Pro version is fairly simple and has lots of flow.

#27 2 years ago
Quoted from curban:

I agree with Getaway.
Iron Man also reminds me of T2 play.

Iron Man is a good call.

#30 2 years ago

Maybe No Good Gophers…..
Basic rule set- similar steps to multiball.

#31 2 years ago

Octoberfest, since both have 15 minute ball time

#32 2 years ago

Ironman , yep

#33 2 years ago

JM or Getaway. GOT pro is an amazing game but doesn’t seem like it’s what you’re looking for rules-wise.

#34 2 years ago

Demo man is simple and is the flow master.

#35 2 years ago

Led Zepplin Pro is pretty fast and fun with less co plex rule set.. after having one at home for about2 months I am still enjoying it and the music hasn't gotten old or started gri ding my nerves as of yet

#36 2 years ago

Taxi, Fish Tales and Getaway all fit the description

#37 2 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:Thanks for all the suggestions.
I guess what I liked about T2 was it was easy to understand, and pretty easy to shoot. So if I wanted to go down and bat the ball around for a few minutes before I had to be somewhere, you could get some good flow going (alternating ramps was really fun) but the game wasn't so easy that you'd play for very long.
LOL @ LW3. I'm not sure I've ever seen or paid attention to this game. That's hilarious how much of a ripoff the layout it. It doesn't look like it has the right ramp, so the alternating ramp thing looks to be out.
Re: Stern Star Trek - I'm a Star Trek nerd, but for some reason I couldn't get into that game. I had an LE, and it was one of the shortest tenure games I've owned. Didn't have enough Star Trek personality to connect with me, and the mode start shots were hard. It definitely didn't feel as approachable to me.
Maybe I'll look at T3, haven't thought about that game in a while. SHOOT HERE AND HERE. If memory serves, the shots were a bit narrower than T2 and that made it a bit clunkier, but I might be misremembering.
Getaway and Indy500 were on a short-list of wanting to check them out again. I wasn't sure if they scratch the same itch as T2 or not. I like the idea of racing games, but I haven't played much Indy at all. Really not familiar with the gameplay. Getaway seems like the same level of simple as T2 to me, but I can't remember how fun that game is, or if it would have much staying power.

Hell, if all you are looking for is looping ramps with easy and basic rules go DE Star Trek (light years from a Richie feel though, you'd likely hate it). HS2 doesn't loop either, so there is that. Indy is a good game but not super flowy either. Rollergames is decent for flow. I would argue you are doing yourself a disservice if you turn up your nose to LW3 (a 2 bit meld of HS2 and T2). Not as polished as a B/W but fun to play. Anyway my 2 cents.

#38 2 years ago

Full Throttle fits your description. I think it's faster than JM, easy to understand and fun rules and short game times.

Fish Tales is a good choice too.

#39 2 years ago

If you don’t need two ramps, Tron.

#40 2 years ago

FT ! Fast play and easy rules...but is hard to master. Great game.

#41 2 years ago
Quoted from Swainer80:

+1 for the LW3
It is fast, fun to rip the spinners to work up the UZI modes, and has a good balance of flow and shooting with the 1,2,3 shots and working up the movie scenes. The target practice video mode is really fun and a little challenging if you want to get the most points. If you want a relatively simple game with just enough depth this would be it.

They new Chadh rules make it more interesting as well.

#42 2 years ago

Getaway is great for a multitude of reasons, and the first title I thought of when I read your post. The rule set is simple to understand, progress is visually well presented with the large tach in the center of the playfield, gear indicator inserts, and the traffic light, the flow and speed of the game are great with some occasional pauses (ball lock, supercharger action), good bumper action, interactive gear shifting is fun but challenging sometimes knowing when to take your hand off the flipper button to shift, music and callouts are great, plenty of shots that are all achievable, the ball looping around the supercharger while shaking the entire pin is cool, and there are mods galore for this title: PinSound, shaker, color DMD, all of my custom mods, etc.)

Getaway is a little different from many other car themed pins in that it is not a racing game but a chasing game. Your speeding away from the cops on the open highway with some chick you picked up in the passenger’s seat of your 90’s Lambo Diablo (I know that Steve Ritchie has never admitted to this, but the car make/model is obvious), and that’s sort of exhilarating while your Alpine audio system is pumping out tunes at 100+ MPH. Talk about every dude’s fantasy!

It’s always the game I go to in my 3 pin collection when I just want to have fun and play some pinball without having to concern myself with a deep rule set or overly difficult challenges. It’s a game I can play and walk away from with a smile on my face even if I don’t come close to beating it, knowing I enjoyed the experience and have a real chance of beating it next time (which for me means getting through all the gears and achieving Redline Mania, achieving Red Light Multiball, and getting at least one Super Jackpot).

#43 2 years ago

For me, the answer is always the Beatles. haha.

Led Zeppelin seems really nice, fast, and flows with some cool ramps to me. Black Knight Sword of Rage is more difficult than Zeppelin for me, but is a ton of fun also.

Game of Thrones is really neat with that cool upper playfield, but I have no idea what I'm doing when I play that machine. That upper playfield is really cool though.

#44 2 years ago

I am always reminded of T2 when I play AFM and Demo Man because of the similar color scheme and inserts, etc.

I also want to say T3 kicks some major ass

#45 2 years ago

I miss Getaway the most out of games I sold. It is a shallow, easy game but awesome. Love using the shifter during the game and similar to using T2 gun. Pretty awesome when you get multiple balls in the supercharger, beacon light spinning, and everything getting amped up.

#46 2 years ago

How about BSD?

Loopable and surprisingly flow-ey left and right ramps. Short ball and game times. Simple rules that allow for a quick game or two, but allow you open up into deeper strategy when wanted.

#47 2 years ago

Looking at your collection, I would suggest these two in order- Iron Man, and Fish Tales.

Both have very easy rules to understand, and both bring the balls back to the flippers via ramps. I give the nod to IronMan, simply because Fish Tales is getting into IronMan pricing territory, and the value isn't there compared to IronMan.

Dracula would be a third option, but the theme can be hit or miss for some, and it truly is a feast or famine game. The feast is amazing, the famine is frequent....LOL

#48 2 years ago

Firepower. I think of it as Steve Ritchie's precursor to T2.

#49 2 years ago

I wasn't dissing LW3 - I was just laughing at HOW similar the layout is to T2. Seems like it's missing an element I liked about T2 (alternating ramps) , but also adds a lot of rules. I'd like to check one out. Pretty sure I've never played it.

I actually had BSD on a short list to get re-acquainted with as well. Not sure if it fits the T2 vibe or not, but chasing the 30 Million triple jackpot sounds fun. Only downside is I play often with my wife (phrasing...) and she sucks (at pinball). Given how brutal BSD is supposed to be, that might not be the best choice for that.

Never really got into Fish Tales. Maybe because I hate fishing??? I've played it a few times on location, probably not for the home.

Iron Man is cool. I already have Avatar which is basically the same do-it-all-in-one-ball ruleset.

BK:SOR is an interesting idea. I have not played much of that game at all. The couple games I did play, I seem to remember liking the Pro better than the Prem. I don't think the upper playfield jived with me. (Even though a BK game without an upper is sacrilege.) I'll definitely look into that.

GOT Pro is another one that possibly fits the bill flow-wise. In the few games I played I had no idea what I was doing with the various houses. By definition that kind of disqualifies it from the simple ruleset perspective, but I would like to put some time on one. Sounds fun and I loved the show.

#50 2 years ago

Whirlwind

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 21.95
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Colorado Springs, CO
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
5,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fontana, CA
$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lafayette, LA
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/recommend-a-game-that-plays-like-t2?hl=curban and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.