Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 64 posts
  • 55 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by DaveH
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Getaway is great for a multitude of reasons, and the first title I thought of when I read your post. The rule set is simple to understand, progress is visually well presented with the large tach in the center of the playfield, gear indicator inserts, and the traffic light, the flow and speed of the game are great with some occasional pauses (ball lock, supercharger action), good bumper action, interactive gear shifting is fun but challenging sometimes knowing when to take your hand off the flipper button to shift, music and callouts are great, plenty of shots that are all achievable, the ball looping around the supercharger while shaking the entire pin is cool, and there are mods galore for this title: PinSound, shaker, color DMD, all of my custom mods, etc.)
Getaway is a little different from many other car themed pins in that it is not a racing game but a chasing game. Your speeding away from the cops on the open highway with some chick you picked up in the passenger’s seat of your 90’s Lambo Diablo (I know that Steve Ritchie has never admitted to this, but the car make/model is obvious), and that’s sort of exhilarating while your Alpine audio system is pumping out tunes at 100+ MPH. Talk about every dude’s fantasy!
It’s always the game I go to in my 3 pin collection when I just want to have fun and play some pinball without having to concern myself with a deep rule set or overly difficult challenges. It’s a game I can play and walk away from with a smile on my face even if I don’t come close to beating it, knowing I enjoyed the experience and have a real chance of beating it next time (which for me means getting through all the gears and achieving Redline Mania, achieving Red Light Multiball, and getting at least one Super Jackpot).

The next time I talk to Steve at a show, I have to ask him about something that has been bothering me for a long time.

Why is there a Weiand 8-71 super charger when the car is a Diablo?!?

For whatever reason, it somehow thematically "just works" though, haha.

#52 2 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

How about BSD?
Loopable and surprisingly flow-ey left and right ramps. Short ball and game times. Simple rules that allow for a quick game or two, but allow you open up into deeper strategy when wanted.

If you can not hit those ramps consistently, you might as well not even bother. NOTHING to shoot for without them.

JM is a solid game, maybe more going on there than T2 honestly. And now that Godzilla Premium/LE has come out, it no longer has the dubious distinction of having the slowest toy in existence. I could take a nap waiting for the building to release the MB on Godzilla Prem/LE.

#53 2 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

I wasn't dissing LW3 - I was just laughing at HOW similar the layout is to T2. Seems like it's missing an element I liked about T2 (alternating ramps) , but also adds a lot of rules. I'd like to check one out. Pretty sure I've never played it.
I actually had BSD on a short list to get re-acquainted with as well. Not sure if it fits the T2 vibe or not, but chasing the 30 Million triple jackpot sounds fun. Only downside is I play often with my wife (phrasing...) and she sucks (at pinball). Given how brutal BSD is supposed to be, that might not be the best choice for that.
Never really got into Fish Tales. Maybe because I hate fishing??? I've played it a few times on location, probably not for the home.
Iron Man is cool. I already have Avatar which is basically the same do-it-all-in-one-ball ruleset.
BK:SOR is an interesting idea. I have not played much of that game at all. The couple games I did play, I seem to remember liking the Pro better than the Prem. I don't think the upper playfield jived with me. (Even though a BK game without an upper is sacrilege.) I'll definitely look into that.
GOT Pro is another one that possibly fits the bill flow-wise. In the few games I played I had no idea what I was doing with the various houses. By definition that kind of disqualifies it from the simple ruleset perspective, but I would like to put some time on one. Sounds fun and I loved the show.

BK:SoR might be a pretty good fit for you. It's not a "loaded" game but it's a smooth shooter and feels alot like a 90s game rules wise.

I love GoT but I don't feel like it flows the way alot of people do. I find it really hard to play the ball live accurately and definitely have more of a stop and go approach, and you need to shoot the light lock spot targets alot, putting the ball out of control.

The modes and rules aren't as complex as they seem. The game is really more wide than deep IMO. There are alot of ways to approach the game, but the modes are relatively straightforward. Once you get a feel for which house gives you which abilities, that's about as "complex" as it gets. Great game though!

#54 2 years ago

How about Congo?
Not mode based, very simple rule set. Fantastic multiballs. Amazing flow. This game is very underrated like T2 IMO. Ball times are very similar. Came out in 95.

Totan is also very good with a ton of flow. Excellent multiball. Mode based but extremely simple rules. Came out in 96

My final choice is World Cup Soccer. Many of the same attributes above and still very affordable. Came out in 94.

Good luck.

#55 2 years ago

OK, I'm thinking maybe Getaway and Johnny Mnemonic are the best options for what I'm looking for.

I have a really sweet STTNG that I pimped out but don't play much any more, so maybe I'll turn it into the two of these?

What are realistic prices for each of these games in very nice condition? I don't need a high-end restore, but I don't want any "players" condition games either.

I've looked at the Market, but it can be hard to get a gauge on realistic pricing if you have not been following the particular games for a while.

#56 2 years ago

If “very nice” =
- fully working
- Play field and cabinets are 8/10 or better (no fade, play field clean with only minor wear at a couple of inserts and or play field holes)
- no upgrades (no colordmd, pinsound, powder, other pricey mods)

Then in today’s market, I think it’ll be hard to find for less than
$4.7k for Getaway and $4.2k JM.

Plan to add $’s for the pricey upgrades

If faded cabs dont bother you, you can probably drop those prices by $500 or more. Especially on JM.

#57 2 years ago

Spiderman

#58 2 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

OK, I'm thinking maybe Getaway and Johnny Mnemonic are the best options for what I'm looking for.
I have a really sweet STTNG that I pimped out but don't play much any more, so maybe I'll turn it into the two of these?
What are realistic prices for each of these games in very nice condition? I don't need a high-end restore, but I don't want any "players" condition games either.
I've looked at the Market, but it can be hard to get a gauge on realistic pricing if you have not been following the particular games for a while.

I had a JM and though it may seem minor, one thing that really bothered me was the way the rollover lane indicators couldn't keep up with the game. It made lane selection useless and was probably the tipping point that lead to me selling it. Loved the speed and flow of the game though.

#59 2 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

one thing that really bothered me was the way the rollover lane indicators couldn't keep up with the game

What does this mean? There is lag between the button press and actually switching lanes? Is this common across all JMs?

#60 2 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

What does this mean? There is lag between the button press and actually switching lanes? Is this common across all JMs?

Yes, the player controlled rollover lanes for bonus multiplier don't keep up with the flipper presses when there is a lot going on, preventing you from getting the ball to go down the unlit lane. I believe this is common to all JMs.

2 months later
#61 2 years ago

I just bought a Johnny Mnemonic pin. I love the speed and combos. I haven't owned it long but have played it enough that I encountered a glove issue. The ball magnet isn't engaging.

So I turn off the glove and you have a different game to play. It feels like it needs some type of toy but once you get going and hitting the modes its a lot of fun.

If your into Gibson, cyberpunk or anything else related to the the theme you get into it or can forgive a lot.

I just want to get PinSound board and get some new audio tracks on it for now.

I'm keen on playing #star_trek_le. If these are two fast paced games that are similar it seems like #star_trek_le would be the choice.

#62 2 years ago

I can't believe no one has said Metallica yet.. 2 Ramps, great flow, sweet orbits, one of the best bash toys & callouts in pinball. One of the easiest rules to explain to a new player. Bash Sparky, cemetery, snake & get multiball. Hit ramps for lady Justice, hit scoop to collect stuff. Hit enough stuff & get to wizard mode.

#63 2 years ago

LZ flows and really fast
BKSOR pro is better.
T3 even set on difficult is way too easy. I do like how it flows however.
Metallica
HS is a fun game to run from the cops. Straightforward and easy.

#64 2 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

I can't believe no one has said Metallica yet.. 2 Ramps, great flow, sweet orbits, one of the best bash toys & callouts in pinball. One of the easiest rules to explain to a new player. Bash Sparky, cemetery, snake & get multiball. Hit ramps for lady Justice, hit scoop to collect stuff. Hit enough stuff & get to wizard mode.

I agree with this. MET is fantastic for many moods. It has great rules when you want them, but you can always ignore them and have fun bashing.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Raleigh, NC
$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods

$ 119.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
4,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
Machine - For Sale
Oakley, CA
$ 84.99
$ 19.00
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/recommend-a-game-that-plays-like-t2/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.