(Topic ID: 168318)

Recommend a game for me

By Djshakes

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

Just sold my Twilight zone tonight and need something to replace it. I currently have a shadow and love the fast and fun game play. Any recommendations for a similar machine? I also like Gnr but my friend already has one. Something similar to that is cool too. Price is not an issue. I don't care for ac/DC, Creech, met. My other buddy is getting a Gb pro so that is off limits also.

#2 7 years ago

Perhaps you could suggest a few games that you are considering, and we could help persuade you to one of those?

#4 7 years ago

I won't tell cuz I'm jealous of your TWZ.

Maybe a newer stern title? kiss? Or maybe a classic like MM? I've always wanted a Safe Cracker... Is money an object? Heh...

#5 7 years ago

I just bought a afm and man the pin is amazing and i have a pretty nice collection of awesome pins. Afm has great theme ,flow and code(lyman) is really good for a b/w. Most importantly the pin is just fun to play and love destroying the ship and killing aliens. Overall one the best packages in pinball imo.

#6 7 years ago

I would recommend going to youtube and check out some gameplay on various pins, you can get a pretty good idea on their gameplay.

#7 7 years ago

Price no object?

Hobbit

So many unique modes, call outs that give ya goosebumps. Bashing the beasts is super fun.

It's one you can just stand back and look at and be like ya, I own that.

#8 7 years ago

Walking Dead or Game of Thrones Pro

#9 7 years ago

Too Easy... Pick up BSD. You will never let it go. It's a classic that doesn't command a high price tag. No too showy, but quick and unforgiving ball times. Quotes are AWESOME. "Misssssst"

#10 7 years ago

I haven't played it but the star trek pro looks nice and fun on YouTube. I have played afm and didn't like it. Sorry, I just thought it was boring. I heard Congo is fun. Going to coin op this weekend to play walking dead and mm. I would like to stay under the $8k price range but that should open up most options if I'm patient.

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from Djshakes:

What is bsd? I haven't played it but the star trek pro looks nice and fun on YouTube. I have played afm and didn't like it. Sorry, I just thought it was boring. I heard Congo is fun. Going to coin op this weekend to play walking dead and mm. I would like to stay under the $8k price range but that should open up most options if I'm patient.

You probably wont like mm if u didnt care for afm bc they are very similar . Bsd is bram stokers Dracula . Congo is fun along with twd premium also met is pretty dang awesome

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from bigd1979:

You probably wont like mm if u didnt care for afm bc they are very similar . Bsd is bram stokers Dracula . Congo is fun along with twd premium also met is pretty dang awesome

I hear great things about met, I just can't stand the music.

#13 7 years ago

So many good games especially when u have 8k to work with . Just get something vplay it for a while and move it on when your done....thats what i do bc i lack room to keep more than 8

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from Djshakes:

You can put whatever music u want in it if u want

#15 7 years ago

NOPE as you didn't say PLEASE!

#16 7 years ago

Yeah, I can only have two so I have no problem kicking them down the road when I get bored.

#17 7 years ago

Star Trek's a gooder too. Not tired of it yet after 800 or-so plays.

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from Djshakes:

I'm not a huge fan of their music either but MET is something special. I'm beginning to see why it has so many fans. Agree that ST is another great choice.

#19 7 years ago

since the shadow is very unique, so no matter what you pick, it you don't have to worry about piggy backing doubles of something. SInce you have had your share of B/W titles. It think you should try something different from a different manufacturer.

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from Djshakes:

Just sold my Twilight zone tonight and need something to replace it. I currently have a shadow and love the fast and fun game play. Any recommendations for a similar machine? I also like Gnr but my friend already has one. Something similar to that is cool too. Price is not an issue. I don't care for ac/DC, Creech, met. My other buddy is getting a Gb pro so that is off limits also.

Came into this thread to recommend a Shadow...

You and I probably have similar taste, I don't care for AC/DC or Creech either.

How about:

Attack from Mars
    White Water
    Congo
    Game of Thrones

Or if you can wait a month before deciding, possibly an Alien?

#21 7 years ago

Shadow is one of my favorite games. I would recommend Indianapolis 500. Not talked about too much, but is an awesome game. Like Shadow it is fast, fun, challenging and seems to get better the more you play it. The main multiball is somewhat similar to Shadow too. The jackpot set-up is on the left ramp instead of straight up the middle. Both top 10 games for me.

#22 7 years ago

I've fallen in love with my White Water. I can't recommend it more highly.

#23 7 years ago

Judge Dredd it's not Judge Dreadful as some think

#24 7 years ago

TZ is a great pin. Get that. Lol j/k.

BSD and FT are both fast and brutal like TS. Fans seem to like TWD for similar reasons but I don't care for it. I do love MET. Not a big fan of the music but gameplay is awesome. ST is the other modern Stern I enjoy. Fast gameplay and great flow.

I highly recommend playing Congo before buying. People seem to love or hate it. I like it and think the easy, laid back gameplay goes well with the brutal gameplay of Shadow. I500 is another game from that era that goes well with TS. A little hard to find but not too expensive.

#25 7 years ago

If you want a newer game, I suggest these: TWD, Met (change the songs maybe), Tron, Iron Man. All of these have great code and game play.

#26 7 years ago

I'm a little reluctant to buy a NIB Stern right now with the playfield issues. Of the newer games TWD and MET are pretty high on my list but I would go with a used one. Domino's and Whoa Nellie are two quirky games I'd like to give a try. Alien would be cool but would have to wait till probably next year.

#28 7 years ago
    Quoted from OldSchoolBlood:

Shadow is one of my favorite games. I would recommend Indianapolis 500. Not talked about too much, but is an awesome game. Like Shadow it is fast, fun, challenging and seems to get better the more you play it. The main multiball is somewhat similar to Shadow too. The jackpot set-up is on the left ramp instead of straight up the middle. Both top 10 games for me.

that's funny. Only B/W games I own anymore (DMD wise) is Shadow and Indy500. Love both of them.

#29 7 years ago

Bsd or Jm. If you like speed.

#30 7 years ago

Let me second that. TRON!

Of course there are some people that don't like Tron, but I still think it is one of the best games ever made. The rules are a very simple and elegant set. I can accomplish any individual task, but I can't do them all in one game. That formula almost always works for me. I don't usually like games where some of the individual objectives are almost impossible. With Tron, in any given game I can concentrate and finish any one I pick. But I've only finished them all once to get to Portal. Great game.

#31 7 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

that's funny. Only B/W games I own anymore (DMD wise) is Shadow and Indy500. Love both of them.

Both are excellent. Do love the multiball setup on Indy 500. Watching it spool up the turbo is always fun.

#32 7 years ago

Indy 500 is a great suggestion. BSD is what I was going to say. It's the only machine I intend to own again. If you want a Stern, I would go with Tron, or MET. You said you don't like MET, so maybe TWD, or Iron Man.

#33 7 years ago

I'm going to watch videos on indy 500.

#34 7 years ago

One other person recommended Johnny Mnemonic. I second that if you like fast play. It can get pretty frantic and brutal if you set it up difficult. I also second (or third or fourth) Stern Trek. It's an excellent game with great shots. Highly recommend it. If pure speed is what you're looking for, the Northwest Pinball and Arcade Show had a Strikes and Spares set up with a powerball that was so fast it almost walked itself right off the tournament bank .

#35 7 years ago
    Quoted from Djshakes:

I'm going to watch videos on indy 500.

Indy 500 is very fun. BSD I own and is fun also but can be challenging. I can't think of another game that is able to create an atmosphere like BSD. The wolves howling, Drac laughing maniacally. It creates a great mood when playing in the dark.

#36 7 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

Indy 500 is very fun. BSD I own and is fun also but can be challenging. I can't think of another game that is able to create an atmosphere like BSD. The wolves howling, Drac laughing maniacally. It creates a great mood when playing in the dark.

This sums it up pretty well about BSD. I've had mine two months and I have to say it's the only game I ever bought that has made me completely neglect the rest of my collection. It's a hard game but it is so addicting that I can't stop playing it. I can't see it ever leaving my collection.

#37 7 years ago

I was thinking of Indy 500 because I love mine. What about woz ? Like TZ, IMHO it's better. Met is also awesome,before I got it I couldn't tell you one song they sing, the music is fine with me.

#38 7 years ago

Indy 500 , it's on pinball arcade for u to try, maybe ironman or avatar?

#39 7 years ago

Cant go wrong with STTNG

#40 7 years ago

WH20 or if you can wait or afford it, Timeshock.
    Often overlooked is Roadshow too.

#41 7 years ago

WH20 and Congo...I can live without them for sure. Indy 500 is a great game.

If you're into newer games, I would wait to see what the Chicago Expo has to offer. Alien should be there. Hopefully, JJP/Pat Lawlor's new game gets announced and actually shown in the seminar, but I doubt there will be there one to play. BM66 was announcement to make a showing there. And who knows what else might be announced that we have not heard a thing about.

Though, what ever gets announced could have several months lead time before you can grab one.

#42 7 years ago

Are you only limited to having 2 games?

#43 7 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Are you only limited to having 2 games?

if so, he might have to consider getting rid of his domestic partner.

#44 7 years ago

Hi All,

I bought a star trek pro from a fellow pinsider. Had it for a couple days and am trying to learn it. So far I like it. Great sounds.

#46 7 years ago

Pinball Arcade Underground.
    22 Tables.
    FREE download and unlimited play.
    Legal.
    Playtest and evaluate game designs.

#47 7 years ago
    Quoted from Djshakes:

Hi All,
    I bought a star trek pro from a fellow pinsider. Had it for a couple days and am trying to learn it. So far I like it. Great sounds.

Excellent choice. ST is a great game!

#48 7 years ago

How's about TSPP? Deep like TZ but very different and a great game.

#49 7 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Pinball Arcade Underground.
    22 Tables.
    FREE download and unlimited play.
    Legal.
    Playtest and evaluate game designs.

Visual pinball.

100's of games to DL
    Free to download
    Legal
    games can be adjust to feel and play like the real thing. if flippers arn't strong or fast enough, adjust it. If the rubber isn't bouncy enough increase it.

#50 7 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Visual pinball.
    100's of games to DL
    Free to download
    Legal
    games can be adjust to feel and play like the real thing. if flippers arn't strong or fast enough, adjust it. If the rubber isn't bouncy enough increase it.

You cannot play Visual Pinball (or PinMame) on your phone or Ipad without some manipulation.
    Today, this is most common way to play these type of games, if you do not own them yourself.
    That is why I suggested this option, not to mention the fact that the games themselves are much better representations of the real game because when they were designed they had the REAL title next to it during the programming.

Without the extra physics add ons, the majority games do not play very well including ball control and shot angles.
    You cannot get the games to play anyway near the real games, there are just parts of the engine that cause "jerkiness".
    Game emulations for many titles are inaccurate, especially if you own them.
    I can give numerous examples of games that are wrong, because the designers never played the original game.
    It misrepresentations titles in terms of gameplay including EPROMs.

That is why people who buy the full size pinball MAME cabinets are wasting their money.

Granted, some titles have improved, especially popular titles, but this is still video pinball.
    I do commend the original designers of the software, especially when they branched out to other manufacturers like Capcom.
    They provided something to doodle with or provide opportunities to play games most never will have a chance to either own or play.

You and I know their is a HUGE difference between say Zaccaria Pinball (Android, Steam) versus Visual Pinball versions.
    There just is no comparison.
    For now, Pinball Arcade, Pro Pinball, Zaccaria Pinball, or Pinball FX2 (which is questionable on physics) are the best people have to choose from overall.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.