(Topic ID: 312386)

Recommend a drill guide for playfield holes?

By jibmums

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by jibmums
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jibmums.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

I need to redrill some ragged-out playfield holes that I've filled with epoxy and want to make sure they are truly perpendicular, every attempt at eyeballing it on practice pieces of wood doesn't turn out well. Also need to drill perpendicular holes in new siderails and a few other things. Anyone have experience with one of these drill guides? Easy to use, well made, worth the money?

https://www.amazon.com/Milescraft-1318-DrillMate-Drill-Guide/dp/B014A1Z92I/ref=sr_1_1

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from BrianBannon:

Are your drill bits new or recently sharpened? It might make a difference for you. Pilot point bits can help quite a bit, too.

Brand new bits. Just hard to drill a 90° hole by hand.

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

I use my harbor freight drill guide all the time.
    But, Its a but funky, you have to pull the metal securing points all the way up to not destroy your work.
    Its plastic, so its not good for heavy or precision work. But for playfields its just fine.
    It doesnt have a positive center to lock it into place. You have to check it with a square and then over tighten the knobs so it doesnt change. It has to be adjusted properly to get it to move smoothly, I oiled the rods with super-lube oil
    So, its funky.
    It works pretty good once you get to know it.
    But, what do you expect for $20 ? Definitely not for heavy or commercial use LOL. But for casual use, its ok.
    Over-all, It works for me. I especially like it for forstner bits and spade bits when drilling cabinet holes. A drill block wont help with those types of bits.
    A drill block is a much more stable approach. Or like vid said, just a block of hardwood drilled out.
    I have a stack of hardwood flooring samples glued together with the bottom one a cushioned type to not scratch the playfield.
    I drill out whatever size I need with my drill press.
    Its a non-scratch drill block that I can lightly calmp down!

I was checking out the Harbor Freight, Wolfcraft, and Milescraft drill guides today. The HF just looked too cheaply made, and plastic like you said. The MC was cast metal and looked a little sturdier than the WC, plus it was a little cheaper, so that's what I went with. I would have made a few wood blocks and saved the money as Vid suggested, but unfortunately no access to a drill press.

Those hardwood flooring sample blocks from Home Depot are handy, aren't they? I cut them to size and clamp them on top of the playfield to flatten down raised inserts.

Was looking at that too but it doesn't cover enough bit sizes that I need.

Quoted from pinballizfun:

They weren't perfect from the factory

Doesn't mean I can't try to do better than the factory.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jibmums.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/recommend-a-drill-guide-for-playfield-holes?tu=jibmums and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.