3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by vid1900
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20160117_121407099_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpg
    gottlieb2_(resized).jpg
    da70439673ca68e9a46149f57132f35a2e2c2508_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg

#1 3 years ago

What are you guys thoughts on running these rechargables in you games? Any negatives? I have a ton of them from my RC hobby I'm not really into right now.

image_(resized).jpeg

#2 3 years ago

Cheaper to just buy NVRAM that will last forever.

#3 3 years ago

It's not cheaper if he already has them sitting around collecting dust.

#4 3 years ago

I have a ton of them already and all my games have remote batteries except for my haunted house it has what's in the pic. But I will look into the nvram for all of them. What's the best place to look for them?

image_(resized).jpg

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from Zukboy2002:

I have a ton of them already and all my games have remote batteries except for my haunted house it has what's in the pic. But

I'd pull that DataSentry right now!!!!

Those things kill Gottliebs all the time.

See all the destroyed traces around those resistors? It is killing your board as you read this.....

da70439673ca68e9a46149f57132f35a2e2c2508_(resized).jpg

#6 3 years ago

NVRAM discussion thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nvram-experience

Lots of good information in there.

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I'd pull that DataSentry right now!!!!
    Those things kill Gottliebs all the time.

Looks like it's already started to go.. resistors above it show corrosion.

If the OP has never removed one of those before, I'm sure some people can give tips on removing them. Personally I heat up the solder joints on the back and pull at the corner that corresponds to the joint I'm heating up. I keep working each joint and wiggling it up to elevate it from the board. Then I either snip the legs when there's enough room under the Data Sentry or I'll just complete removing it like that.

There's probably better methods, it's just what I've done.. since the Data Sentry is flush to the board.

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from acebathound:

Yeah, that board is going to need some work to repair.

There is a cracked diode on the right too.

#9 3 years ago

Wow vid,you got a good eye

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from Grizlyrig:

Wow vid,you got a good eye

I've probably seen more dead Gottlieb boards than working ones - all thanks to DataSentry.....

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I've probably seen more dead Gottlieb boards than working ones - all thanks to DataSentry.....

What makes "DataSentry" so much more destructive than just batteries leaking. Furthermore, how did it cause the solder joints / traces to erode ABOVE the component?

Do tell??
    faz

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinball_faz:

What makes "DataSentry" so much more destructive than just batteries leaking.

Normal batteries you see the leakage corrosion at the ends of the battery(s) before it starts really eating up the board.

DataSentry battery leads are hidden below a flush mounted pack.

By the time you see the leakage, the damage is quite widespread.

Quoted from pinball_faz:

Furthermore, how did it cause the solder joints / traces to erode ABOVE the component?

Very common phenomena.

The corrosive vapors rise upwards.

-

Here is another Gott; note the damage ABOVE where the battery used to be:

gottlieb2_(resized).jpg

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from acebathound:

If the OP has never removed one of those before, I'm sure some people can give tips on removing them. Personally I heat up the solder joints on the back and pull at the corner that corresponds to the joint I'm heating up. I keep working each joint and wiggling it up to elevate it from the board. Then I either snip the legs when there's enough room under the Data Sentry or I'll just complete removing it like that.
    There's probably better methods, it's just what I've done.. since the Data Sentry is flush to the board.

With a Hakko desoldering iron, they're pretty easy to remove. I removed a few with just a soldering iron and a desoldering pump (before I got the desoldering iron) and it was it big pain. Like mentioned above, you have to keep reheating the pins and slowly wiggle them out while the solder is liquified. If the corrosion is bad, you will probably have to add solder before you can get the old corroded solder to melt.

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

With a Hakko desoldering iron, they're pretty easy to remove. I removed a few with just a soldering iron and a desoldering pump (before I got the desoldering iron) and it was it big pain. Like mentioned above, you have to keep reheating the pins and slowly wiggle them out while the solder is liquified. If the corrosion is bad, you will probably have to add solder before you can get the old corroded solder to melt.

Ah nice. Yeah I hadn't tried any with the 808. Need to get some larger desoldering tips I think. These were in the old school days of repairs where my equipment was severely lacking

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from acebathound:

Ah nice. Yeah I hadn't tried any with the 808. Need to get some larger desoldering tips I think. These were in the old school days of repairs where my equipment was severely lacking

I made sure to get difference sizes when I bought my FR300. It wouldn't have been nearly as useful otherwise.

#17 3 years ago

Thanks for all the input I'll be pulling it out tomorrow

#18 3 years ago

Lol ok I'm doing it now. Looks like there's no damage to the back of the board just a little cleaning up to the surrounding components. Looks like we cought it in time. Thanks for all the help guys. I will be mounting a remote battery holder tomorrow.

image_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from Zukboy2002:

What are you guys thoughts on running these rechargables in you games?

Any of my games the use "AA" style batteries, I use all rechargeable in them. They are a dry cell and never had any NiMh or NiCad leak. I pull them every six months and recharge them in about 30 minutes while leaving the machine on or playing it, if you have extras just rotate the fresh charged set in.

Stay away from all alkaline batteries, at some point they will leak.

#20 3 years ago

Be careful if using an NiMH battery in a circuit intended for NiCad. NiMH batteries are not supposed to be charged using trickle chargers (e.g. Gottlieb System 80) the same way as NiCads and can overheat.

#21 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Yeah, that board is going to need some work to repair.
    There is a cracked diode on the right too.

It looks like that in the pic but it's ok I'll snap another pic from a different angle. Thanks for looking out. Y'all helped me catch that issue before it ready damaged anything

#22 3 years ago

Cleaned off all the acid and reflowed all the solder connections that had any damage.

#23 3 years ago
    Quoted from G-P-E:

Be careful if using an NiMH battery in a circuit intended for NiCad. NiMH batteries are not supposed to be charged using trickle chargers (e.g. Gottlieb System 80) the same way as NiCads and can overheat.

Correct, NiCad can be charged at 2-2.5C as where NiMh should be charged at 1C. If he has a NiMh charger then he'll be able to charge both without any issues for NiCad can be charged at 1C and the same wave pulse as NiMh can.

Enercells green are normally NiMh, so the charger from them should be compliant so he can safely charge both in it. Just be careful if your charger is model number 23-787, these had some faulty circuit and caused the batteries to burn and catch fire.

#24 3 years ago

I am right now sitting here, watching Netflix, and installing Andy's (barakandl) nvram in all my machines. 3 down so far. I would recommend ditching the batteries entirely and doing this. Desoldering gun is a sweet investment, if you can in any way fit it into the budget, and will make this go very smoothly.

IMG_20160117_121407099_(resized).jpg

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from EvanDickson:

I am right now sitting here, watching Netflix, and installing Andy's (barakandl) nvram in all my machines.

Best idea ever.

You never hear of NVRAM leaking corrosive gasses or catching the game on fire.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 12.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 36.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 229.99
    $ 7,399.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 20.00
    Various Other Swag
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 8,500.00
    Hardware
    CPR Playfields
    $ 1,400.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 199.99
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 29.90
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 45.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 159.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Great American Pinball
    $ 49.95
    Playfield - Plastics
    MicksPinball
    $ 8,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside