Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by molspin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

So my basement is my gameroom and there are about 10 recessed lights in the ceiling that are great except they cause TREMENDOUS glare on the pinballs when you play them, so you basically have to turn them off. I was trying to fashion some type of cover or something to allow some light out the sides, but not straight down. Anyone have this issue or have come up with a fix?

#2 10 years ago

Turning them off or dimming them a LOT are the best bets. Assuming they are not all right next to each other, I suggest positioning them over your least played games and/or the games that play best in the dark. Or try to position them between games where possible.

They do make aimable can lights that might help if you are willing to spend the money on a retrofit.

#3 10 years ago

I have this exact problem!

I did the obvious thing... pulled the bulb/lamp out of the offending units...

#4 10 years ago

Turn them off and get cheap LED rope lights to put on the walls above the games. Lowe's, Home Depot, etc all have them. For a little more than Christmas lights, you can solve your problem.

#5 10 years ago

I have the same issue. 2 things I've done:
    - PDI non-glare glass is amazing
    - unscrew the bulbs over the pins

#6 10 years ago

I wear my sunglasses at night

#7 10 years ago

Do you have Dimmers? What bulbs do you have? The right placement of the machines also helps. Spacing the pins so that the can is not directly above a pin, but in between.

#8 10 years ago

I find reducing the bulb wattage and installing a lutron marstro dimmer(s) works best. Dialing down the % to 10w seems to be perfect. Apparently overhead lights emitting uv (showcasing art, fabric, wood etc) can cause fading over time. I did a lot research on this subject when i did mine. Just a note.

#9 10 years ago

Put a red bulb in one and a blue bulb in the next alternating. Watch how the colors on your games pop with their lights on.

#10 10 years ago

Rope lights are great. Do some searching as some places sell them much cheaper than others. A good time to get them from say Hobby Lobby is after Xmas or Lowes after Summer as they are usually on clearance.

#11 10 years ago

A few thing you could try:

1. Replace can trims with adjustable ones
    2. Replace can trims with frosted lenses in them
    3. What I did was use CFL party bulbs from HD they have a bunch of colors to choose from

#12 10 years ago

You could buy LED bulbs for them. They are pricey but they are almost always a softer light.
    Otherwise covers, turn off or dim.

#13 10 years ago

"I have this exact problem!
    I did the obvious thing... pulled the bulb/lamp out of the offending units... "

I had the same issue and solved it the same way. 2 minute fix.

#14 10 years ago

I did what badbilly did with red and blue bulbs. Looks cool and no glare.

#15 10 years ago

Going to give the red / blue alternating bulbs a try...thanks, fellas.

What I've done to date is hook up dimmers with LED bulbs and added invisiglass. Far less glare, but a bit pricey.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/recessed-lighting-causing-glare-suggestions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.