Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 81 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by McCune
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jalpert.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 12 years ago

I agree. I payed a LOT more for mine, but at least I can admit I overpayed

However, I think $1,300 should be able to get you a Congo, if it is a nice game that is fairly clean $1,500 is about right. I do agree with $1,300 just off route.

Quoted from dung:

That aside it is still a 1300 dollar game.

#22 12 years ago

I personally know of three WH20's that sold for under $1,500 in the last 3 months. All games had nice side art with little to no fade, a couple cracked boulders, and cracked ramps at the entrance. All had a little wear outside the lost mine, but little to no insert issues.

The longer you wait, you cheaper you can find games. Most people on pinside seem to want them now, which is fine. But just because you bought the game now instead of waiting for a deal, it doesn't mean the game is worth what you paid.

Also, on the other side of coin, just because you can buy WH20 for $1.5K with a little patience, doesn't mean you can't get $2,200 for it if you sold it.

I paid over $2K for my Congo. Since then I have been offered a very nice one for $1.3K. Is my Congo worth what I paid, no. Is my Congo worth more than $1.3K, yes.

Though, the statement I hate the MOST is "I wouldn't sell mine for $xxxx" What you would sell a game for has nothing to do with anything, it's what someone will buy it for that matters.

Sit on a game long enough, you'll get a good price. Wait long enough for a game, you'll get a good price.

Pinball's aren't going up in price, people are just getting less patient.

Quoted from coasterguy:

Just over a year ago WH20 was a less expensive game but not so much anymore.

#29 12 years ago

REALLY. the MOST.

Quoted from McCune:

Really? The MOST ?

It's not contradictory at all. If you want it now, you are going to pay more. It doesn't mean it's worth more. Your unwillingness to wait isn't affecting the value of your pinball, just the price you paid. Tons of people overpaying for games on here, they want them now, 100% okay. The problem is when these same people then try and debate the value of their game and it's usually in relation to the stupid high price they paid.

Quoted from RobT:

If that isn't a contradictory statement, I don't know what is!

#41 12 years ago

I've been offered Congo locally for $1,300. I've been collecting pins for less than 5 years, I don't like to drink and I don't do drugs. There are approximately 2.7 million people in the metropolitan area where I live. I wouldn't say the condition was great, but it was very good. This was less than 3 months ago. It's a shame I jumped the gun and payed WAY more than that. Great game.

Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

if you think your going to pick one up one in great condition for 1100 to 1300 locally in a well populated area then you are either really drunk or high maybe both.

#50 12 years ago

Well, no need to be a prick about it, especially when your reading so selectivity.

Quoted from jalpert:

Tons of people overpaying for games on here, they want them now, 100% okay.

Tons of people on **HERE**. Do you honestly think that pinside is most or even a large portion of people who buy and play pinball? While a bunch of people on HERE are overpaying, it's not enough to affect prices.

Do you understand that?

Quoted from RobT:

If "tons" of people are supposedly overpaying as you say, then that is, in fact, affecting the prices.

Do you understand that?

I think you are missing the point. The point isn't how the market works, most people get that. The point is the effect that overpaying for pinballs is having. I don't care how much you pay, if I can pick up a game in a relativity short amount of time for $1,500, you aren't going to convince me it's a $2,000 game, no matter how much you paid. You paid $2,000, if I can get it for $1,500 the market value of the game is still $1,500 and unaffected by your purchase.

In most cases, if I want it now, it's probably a $2,000 game. However, I'm not willing to say, nor do I think it's a $2,000 game.

Quoted from gweempose:

but the fact of the matter is that if enough people are willing to spend $2,000 on it, it's no longer a $1,500 game. Obviously, this is pissing off some collectors who are used to lower prices, but it's not as if you can force the prices back down by explaining to everyone that they are overpaying. The market is going to go where the market is going to go. It's simple economics.

#57 12 years ago

Again more VERY selective reading. I said if I can buy a game in a relatively short amount of time for $1,500, then it's a $1,500 game.

You are trying to claim I said that if I ever bought a game for $x, then that's all it will ever be worth. Obviously that's not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is, I don't care what you just paid, if I can get a game for $1,500 pretty quickly by keeping my eyes open, it's a $1,500 game. I don't care that you paid $2,000 for it. You might be able to sell it for $2,000, but as long as you can still buy them for $1,500, it's a $1,500 game.

I said nothing about the VERY infrequent occasion a person sells a game for 50% value, that is very obviously not what we are talking about here.

Quoted from McCune:

So If I pick up a HUO I500 for a 1000.00,no one can convince me it is a 2500.00 to 3000.00 dollar game ?

Quoted from jalpert:

if I can pick up a game in a relativity short amount of time for $1,500, you aren't going to convince me it's a $2,000 game,

#58 12 years ago

He called you out because I'm obviously not trolling. You are taking everything I'm saying, twisting it, then responding. I've done my best to help you understand but alas.

Quoted from McCune:

gweempose said:Jim, please lay off the "troll" stuff
I said "starting" to look like .I have only used the word twice and I guess I stepped over the limit. Sorry and I won't use it again.
I would much rather use "ph*** stick" than a t**** anyways .
Jim

#59 12 years ago

Most pinball guys I know have 1 or 2 "bad" games they like. The best part about liking games that aren't very popular is that you can usually find them cheap. Freddy is considered a turd but I like it. If it was popular, I never would have been able to get it for what I paid

Quoted from SunKing:

And before anyone chimes in with 'Avatar sux' or 'you got robbed' - keep in mind that *I* am happy with both the pin and the deal. I've been having a blast playing Avatar, and the family enjoys it too. Money well spent IMHO.

#62 12 years ago

As simple as I can make it; Overpaying for a game does not increase it's value. Typically, the more time you spend keeping your eyes open, the cheaper you can find a game.

Quoted from RobT:

This doesn't even make sense.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 32.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Colorado Springs, CO
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 48.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Drums, PA
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Dickinson, TX

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jalpert.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/recent-congo-flurry?tu=jalpert and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.